PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? Books/Periodicals

joeb33050
04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
This is for the book. Here's what I've got now.
For recommended books/periodicals. Anyone? Here's what I've got:
Recommended Books and Periodicals
Books
"Handbook Of Cast Bullets", Lyman, 1958. This is the first Lyman cast bullet handbook, and the best, in my opinion. I've been reading it since 1960, still enjoy it, and used it as a sort of model for this book.
"Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook", Lyman, 1973
"Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook", Lyman, 1980.
"Cast Bullets" by Col. E. H. Harrison, NRA, 1979
"Single Shot Rifles And Actions", Frank de Haas, 1969. An excellent book, explaining how many single shot rifles are constructed. Frank de Haas wrote several other books on bolt and single shot rifles and actions, and originally designed the action that became the "de Haas Miller" action.
"The Accurate Rifle", by Warren Page, 1973. This book is about modern bench rest with jacketed bullets, and is the best book about bench rest shooting I've ever read. His information and instructions work just fine for shooting cast bullets from the bench.
"The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle" by Ned H. Roberts, 1940. Just about everything anyone would want to know about percussion rifles. A wonderful book.
"The Breech Loading Single Shot Match Rifle" by Major Ned Roberts and Ken Waters, 1967. This book is magic, it turns the reader into a single shot rifle person in short order. It is absolutely the best introduction to single shot rifles and shooting ever written.
"Single Shot Rifles" by James Grant, 1947. James Grant also wrote "More Single Shot Rifles", "Boys Single Shot Rifles" and "Still More Single Shot Rifles". And some more. I have and have read only the first and third. These are just wonderful books with photos and diagrams of the rifles and cartridges and sights and accessories.
"Modern American Rifles", A. C. Gould, 1892.

Periodicals
"The Gun Digest", annual
"The Fouling Shot", journal of the Cast Bullet Association, bi-monthly
"Single Shot Rifle Journal", American Single Shot Rifle Association, bi-monthly
"Muzzle Blasts", journal of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

Thanks;
joe brennan

monadnock#5
04-23-2007, 10:46 AM
NRA "HANDLOADING" 1981 by Wm. C. Davis Jr.

The loads section is skimpy. The articles that make up the first half of the book are priceless however. There are case and chamber specs. at the end of the book.

Ken

scrapcan
04-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Inaddition to those mentioned above

PO Ackley handbooks, Volume 1&2

Understanding Firearms ballistics by Robert Rinker

The Paper Jacket by Paul Matthews

Pet Loads by Ken Waters

The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversion by John J. Donnelly and Bryce Towsley

RCBS Cast Bullet Manual 1st and 2nd editions

Speer Number 9 and/or 10 manual, so you know what scary top end loads really are.

45nut
04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
The RCBS book is a often overlooked one that has a load if information.

fourarmed
04-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Books

"The Art of Bullet Casting" from Wolfe Publishing. A compilation from Rifle and Handloader.

"Modern Handloading" by George Nonte

RugerFan
04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Books

"The Art of Bullet Casting" from Wolfe Publishing. A compilation from Rifle and Handloader.

Here's the link:

http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?ProductID=809

The Art of Bullet Casting
Handloaders Bullet Making Annual
Handloaders Bullet Making Annual II
Handloaders Bullet Special Edition

Mk42gunner
04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
"Cartridges of the World" by Frank C. Barnes/Edited by Mic McPherson. I have the 8th Edition; there is at least one newer.

Robert

alamogunr
04-23-2007, 10:02 PM
"Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges" by Ken Howell

Available from:
Precision Shooting
222 McKee Street
Manchester, CT 06040

joeb33050
04-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Here's where we are. Anyone else? This is going in the Appendix of the book.
Thanks;
joe b.
RECOMMENDED BOOKS AND PERIODICALS
These are my recommendations:
Books
"Handbook Of Cast Bullets", Lyman, 1958. This is the first Lyman cast bullet handbook, and the best, in my opinion. I've been reading it since 1960, still enjoy it, and used it as a sort of model for this book.
"Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook", Lyman, 1973
"Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook", Lyman, 1980.
"Cast Bullets" by Col. E. H. Harrison, NRA, 1979
"Single Shot Rifles And Actions", Frank de Haas, 1969. An excellent book, explaining how many single shot rifles are constructed. Frank de Haas wrote several other books on bolt and single shot rifles and actions, and originally designed the action that became the "de Haas Miller" action.
"The Accurate Rifle", by Warren Page, 1973. This book is about modern bench rest with jacketed bullets, and is the best book about bench rest shooting I've ever read. His information and instructions work just fine for shooting cast bullets from the bench.
"The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle" by Ned H. Roberts, 1940. Just about everything anyone would want to know about percussion rifles. A wonderful book.
"The Breech Loading Single Shot Match Rifle" by Major Ned Roberts and Ken Waters, 1967. This book is magic, it turns the reader into a single shot rifle person in short order. It is absolutely the best introduction to single shot rifles and shooting ever written.
"Single Shot Rifles" by James Grant, 1947. James Grant also wrote "More Single Shot Rifles", "Boys Single Shot Rifles" and "Still More Single Shot Rifles". And some more. I have and have read only the first and third. These are just wonderful books with photos and diagrams of the rifles and cartridges and sights and accessories.
"Modern American Rifles", A. C. Gould, 1892.
"Sixguns" by Elmer Keith. This book got a lot of us interested in long range revolver shooting. A grand book.
"Fast And Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Ed McGivern. Amazing shooting by an amazing man.

Periodicals
"The Gun Digest", annual
"The Fouling Shot", journal of the Cast Bullet Association, bi-monthly
"Single Shot Rifle Journal", American Single Shot Rifle Association, bi-monthly
"Muzzle Blasts", journal of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

The following are recommendations from other shooters on some of the forums:

"Handloaders` Bullet Making Annual'. I have vol I from 1990 and still read it once a year. I was a subscriber to handloader from 1990 to 1996 when I stopped reading "9mm vs 45ACP","30-06 vs 270","is the 30WCF still king" magazines. I eagerly watched for vol II and never saw it.
Dave Goodrich

RCBS - "Cast Bullet Handbook #1" Quite excellent in the textual portion in the front. Lots of really good information about heat treating. The data section is very good too.
"NRA Illustrated Reloading Handbook", not dated, published after 1960 as it contains data from The American Rifleman of December 1960. Some or all of the cast bullet information is probably duplicated in E. H. Harrison's CAST BULLETS but there is other stuff in there that is useful.
Ken Waters's "PET LOADS" Sometimes one volume, sometimes two volumes, there's a good bit of useful stuff in there too. Ken Waters did us all an immense service in putting this one together.
These three above recommended by John Bischoff

"Yours Truly Harvey Donaldson", Donaldson, Harvey, Wolfe, David R., editor.
Ross Glascock

"The Modern Schuetzen Rifle" by Wayne Schwartz & Charles Dell. There is no more up to date book on Schuetzen shooting.
"Yours Truly" by Harvey Donaldson. Yes, Harvey is a blowhard and will claim that while he didn't invent gun powder, he shows us all how to use it right. That being said, there is a lot of good information there.
"40 Rod", ASSRA

Periodicals; and leave us not to pass up Precision Shooting. Full of great data & information each month. A fun list indeed.
"4227" ASSRA

I would add John Dutcher's book, "Ballard The Great American Singleshot Rifle". And one final personal choice, just for fun reading, W. Milton Farrow's, "How I Became A Crack Shot". I really enjoyed reading this old book, written in the style of Farrow's time. (the late 1800's)
"marlinguy", ASSRA

"Respectfully yours, H. M. Pope", Kelver, 1976.
"The Story of Pope's Barrels", Smith, 1960.
"The Art of Bullet Casting" from Handloader and Rifle Magazines 1966-1981", various, 1981.
Doug Nelson

Maybe some non-US books, Like Halford's 'The book of the Rifle', or Stonehenge's (J H Walsh) 'The Modern gun and Rifle' (I believe - Ueli Eichelberger has my copy, so...). and yes, there are reprints of these! Especially the last one is quite interesting. Maybe the Greener book, 'The gun and its Development', even if a bit too general?
You know, besides the US, there were other countries where single shots were made.
MartiniBelgian, ASSRA

The Gerald Kelver books (if they can be found) contain a lot of good information...much of it published in ASSRA News during his editorship. They are a little choppy and hard to follow from a read through approach, but have a lot of good archival info so they are still useful for reference purposes.
Another periodical is Single Shot Exchange...the reviews are a little mixed on that, but it does usually have some ads that don't show up elsewhere.
"The Green Frog", ASSRA

For a classical education of why cast bullets work the way they do I would always include:
"The Bullet's Flight" , Franklin Mann, originally published in 1909, with reprints in 1942 and 1985
"Handloading Ammunition" , J. R. Mattern, originally published 1926, reprinted 1985
"Handloader's Manual" , Earl Naramore, originally published 1936, reprinted multiple times since.
"Sixgun Cartridges and Loads" , Elmer Keith, originally published 1936, reprinted several times, last in 1998.
"Complete Guide to Handloading" , Philip Sharpe, originally published 1937, multiple editions and reprints
My personal opinion is that without a background from these texts, most people are just passing on "legends, lies and wishful thinking"! ( I may be in trouble! I better get reading! joe b.)
Ric in Yakima

NRA "HANDLOADING" 1981 by Wm. C. Davis Jr. The loads section is skimpy. The articles that make up the first half of the book are priceless however. There are case and chamber specs. at the end of the book.
Ken ("Monadnock 5" on Cast Boolits)

PO Ackley handbooks, Volume 1&2
"Understanding Firearms Ballistics" by Robert Rinker
"The Paper Jacket" by Paul Matthews (Paul Matthews wrote a series of books on Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and Single Shot rifles that are highly praised. joe b.)
"Pet Loads" by Ken Waters
"The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversion" by John J. Donnelly and Bryce Towsley
"RCBS Cast Bullet Manual" 1st and 2nd editions
"Speer Number 9 and/or 10 manual", so you know what scary top end loads really are.
Jeremy Manley

"fourarmed", Cast Boolits

"Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges" by Ken Howell
Available from: Precision Shooting, 222 McKee Street. Manchester, CT 06040
"alamogunr", Cast Boolits

Bent Ramrod
04-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Joe,

I gather the bibliography is on guns and reloading, rather than hunting, target shooting or gunsmithing. Otherwise, there would be a couple of 5-ft shelves more. But in these first categories:

The Rifle in America, by Philip B. Sharpe

Rifles--A Modern Encyclopedia and Pistols--A Modern Encyclopedia, by Henry M. Stebbins

Ammunition, by Melvin M Johnson and Charles T. Haven

Ammunition Making, by Charles E. Frost

Rifles and Ammunition, by H. Ommundsen and E. H. Robinson

Wildcat Cartridges, by Richard F. Simmons (for those who find COTW too conventional)

Shooting Colt Single Actions, Shooting Sixguns of the Old West, Shooting Leverguns of the Old West, Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West, by Mike Venturino

Actually, there's another 5-ft shelf of just this stuff, too...

upperb
04-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Hatcher's Notebook.