PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much?

GRUMPA
06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
This add is real close to me, well anything under an hours drive is close around these parts. I looked at new ones and they are cheeper but he says it comes with extra parts, I'm not a Dillon person so I don't really know what he means by extra parts or just buy new. Just to let you know I've never even touched a Dillon anything in my life. Any input is appreciated.

http://showlow.craigslist.org/spo/3049610459.html

canyon-ghost
06-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Too much for me, I'd rather start brand new. I sold a Dillon with several (6 or so) toolheads and caliber conversions for $200 once.

I'd just rather start brand new for that much.

Ron

altheating
06-12-2012, 07:41 PM
New there $439.00 plus shipping Each caliber conversion is $45, x 2 , the extra powder measure is somewhere around $90.00 the extra tool head is $23.00 Yup, I would buy it in a heartbeat. You will like, nope you will love the Dillon.

seagiant
06-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi,
I'd buy it if I wanted a Dillon 550? You can sale the extra powder measure and make some money back. Also if you are missing any pieces a call to Dillon will get you those gratis!

Admittedly not a great deal!

Plate plinker
06-12-2012, 09:35 PM
It is a good deal.

Alvarez Kelly
06-12-2012, 11:48 PM
I would buy it for that locally, but... I have all the parts that it may be missing. :-)

FYI, it is a very early model RL550, NOT an RL550B. That's not bad, but a brand new one has a better powder system (in my opinion) and a low primer alarm is included too.

In my opinion, and we all know what's worth, this press is best left for someone VERY familiar with them already, as I can see more than a few problems with obsolete or worn parts. Dillon will replace anything worn out for free, but any upgrades are not free. Note... Dillon replaces broken parts. Their warranty does not cover any missing parts.

Food for thought.

Let us know what you decide! :-)

Dan Cash
06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
It is worth contacting seller and negotiating. If the calibers are what you load, it is a good deal. Assuming the locater pins and powder funnels are with the shell plates; all the screws are present etc. you are good to go. Personally, the old powder measures are fare more desireable than the new lawyer proof items. You will not want to part with a measure; one for each caliber mounted on a tool head.

pastor
06-13-2012, 02:36 AM
i recently bought a used dillon550 that looks to be about the same model as this one, i paid 350.00 for mine and by the time i paid gas each way and then replaced some missing parts i had about the same amount in it as i would have had in a new one

however i do have a really nice 550 now and i am happy wiith it

the other side of the coin to consider is this, and i know i will hear some grief, i also own a hornady LNL and it is a much better press very smooth operation and auto index, i personally like the hornady better than the 550 or the 650, but with that said dillons are great presses

good luck

Lloyd Smale
06-13-2012, 05:49 AM
very fair deal

seagiant
06-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi,
Well...call me lucky,but I have never called Dillon needing a missing part on a new orphan and been charged anything if they had the part. I called about an old no warranty RL-300 and the gentleman sent me some primer arms just in case they MIGHT work! I don't thank you can get much better than that!

I also had a "small" Dillon case vibe and when it went down I called and the gentleman said send it in and I said ok but did not have a box and he said no problem and sent me a empty box with packing to use!!!

All of this to say I think I could get the said loader up and running for very little $$$$

GRUMPA
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I sent the guy an e-mail yesterday and it seems he wont budge from the $400 asking price. I have to put some thought into this, I have 1 customer that can get a discount from Dillon, something like an employee discount that sounds interesting. But like I said I've never touched a Dillon anything before, all my life it's been the other guys stuff I've been using and I know I'm kinda outdated when it comes to what's out there on the market, I'm just not one of those types that just because it's new I need one.

helice
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I've been using a Dillon for about 12 years. It was one of the best reloading moves I have ever made. $400 isn't the best buy I've seen but it is still a good deal. Either way - Craig's list or your friend - a Dillon is a good thing. I had to spend a couple hours figuring the thing out, but I spent more time trying to get this tink-button ram-poodle cellular phone to work.

Love Life
06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I have used a RL550B for years and it is a great machine. If you have the $400 already I would save up and get a new one.

hiram1
06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I own dillon 550b and a sq deal and you wont ever go wrong with dillon.im going to get me a 650 soon.if it brakes thay will send you the parts.that is why i use there tools and try as you will thay wont let you pay for parts i know i have tryed. good com.to buy from