PDA

View Full Version : 380acp test results.

TNFrank
06-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Worked up a load for my PK380. Lee 102gr RN sized .356", OAL .960"-.965"
First load was 3.0grs Unique with an average Vel. of 816 fps for 3 shots.
Bumped it up to 3.2grs and got an average of 876 fps for 3 shots. Factory 95gr FMJ was 883 fps so the 3.2gr load will be close to factory specs. No pressure signs, both loads fed fine and locked the slide back. I'm going with 3.2grs so I'll have a bit more power for those "just in case" moments since in a SHTF situation I'd be using my handloads for SD as well as plinking/small game hunting.
So, just thought I'd give an update on what's going on. Talk to ya' later. Time to load up some ammo.

Cherokee
06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Nice when a load comes together....sounds like a good load.

Iron Mike Golf
06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
I've had success with 3.1 gr Titegroup and a 95 gr JHP in my PK380. I'm still working on loads for that at my P238 using Mihec's 93 gr HP

Bullet Caster
06-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Good going TNFrank. It's really nice when a plan comes together. So you're in Crossville. I live in Sevierville near Pigeon Forge. Maybe get together for a shoot. BC

TNFrank
06-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Good going TNFrank. It's really nice when a plan comes together. So you're in Crossville. I live in Sevierville near Pigeon Forge. Maybe get together for a shoot. BC

LOL, my older Grandson was just talking about all of us going to Pigeon Forge for a weekend. He wants us to rent a cabin or something. That's some pretty country over that way.
I had kind of wondered about Unique when I first read up on some of the loading data for it, most of it was in the mid-700 fps range but it looks like at 3.2grs it'll be as close to factory as I'd want to get and no pressure signs at all, primers look good, headstamps on cases aren't messed up, ejection is nice.
Just loaded up over 150 of em' to put back for a rainy day. Need to get more brass. Found a place that's got it for $7 bucks per 100, not too bad I guess. I'd like to have at least 500 rounds on hand with an extra 100 or so for practice.
I've still got over 500 rounds of 45acp that I need to cast boolits for and load up. Cases are primed just sitting in the boxes. Seems like it never ends, always something to load and cast for. LOL.

Bullet Caster
06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I hear ya. I've got to do some casting for 9mm very soon. I've only got around 196 boolits for over 690 cases. Gotta get busy.

Yeah, pretty country over 'ere in Eastern TN. We really love living in the mountains. BC