PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a project

Alan in Vermont
06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Folks, I'm going to need some help with a project.

Late in the fall a friend has a pretty major pig roast. It has developed into a pretty major social event/introduction to shooting. Last year we had quite a few kids, and some Moms and Dads, who got to pop their first primer. The host hopes that will expand some this year so I'm doing what I can to help it happen.

I'll be taking some of my shooters that are more suited for beginners as well as some for the casual shooters as we had people from absolute newbies to sorta good ones. Didn't have much for the kids last year because nobody expected how many were going to be interested.

Even managed to get an NRA basic pistol instructor who says he'll come to help out.

Anyhow, one of the sorta skilled guys had a Springfield .40 (XD-M, maybe) and brought a bunch of cheap ammo which a lot of people helped him burn off. Some of us put some $$ into his fund to help with the cost, most didn't. :(

I expect he'll be back this year, most likely with the .40 again. Hope he is anyhow. He doesn't load so I scrounged what brass I could, been scrounging every time I find any on the ground anywhere.

The plan is to put together a bucket of .40 stuff so he isn't paying for everybodys fun. I just did swap for a couple hundred rounds more brass so I'm probably well over the 300 mark now.

I don't have a .40 so I don't have lick-1 of what I need to make ammo for it. I also need to keep the cost down so copper condom bullets are out of the question.

Now that I've got you all softened up I'm going to ask to borrow a few things.

Right at the top is a mold for a boolit that is a known worker in that caliber. Not having a gun handy pretty much eliminates being able to do testing and load workups so I need to cast lead that is going to work. I can go as hard as straight lino if that is what it takes. I've got Lee and RCBS handles here so all I need is the blocks.

Right on the heels of that is something to size them with. I've got a Star and have access to an RCBS LAM-1 but no dies or punches for either of them in the right size.

Then I need dies and shellholder to load with.

I know it's a bit of a stretch to loan something to a stranger, even more so when he's not close enough to get your hands on if he doesn't return your goods. I've got pretty good feedback here if that helps and I'll put $ in, when I send them back, to repay for your postage or send $ up front for that.

That's about it. I'll appreciate it a bunch if I can get any help.

theperfessor
06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Alan, no other 40 stuff but I'd be glad to send you a couple of my cup nose punches in .40 for your LAM-1 if it will help. You can keep them if they go to a good cause.

Alan in Vermont
06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Thank you, Keith, I'll be in touch as things flesh out

x101airborne
06-12-2012, 01:49 PM
I load for the 40 and have dies, including the Redding RX die that removes the glock bulge. I also have a Lee TC mold that drops a wonderful boolit. Using straight wheel weights and water quenched, then lubed with LLA I get no leading and a useful round to pal around with. If you need any of my equipment, shoot me a message. I will look at what brass I have, but I know it is not much.

Olevern
06-12-2012, 03:01 PM
If you need more brass, I could provide for your needs, once fired Federal a small or medium FRB full for just postage. LMK
vern

Alvarez Kelly
06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't have any .40 stuff to offer, but I'll cover postage for anyone mailing Alan stuff via my PayPal account to yours, up to some reasonable amount... Anyone donating can PM me your PayPal account and it's done. I'll post again if I'm tapped out.

I love to help kids and new shooters. Good on you all!

clintsfolly
06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
do not load 40 but have RCBS dies and a Dillon 550 slellplate funnel and pins. There your just send back when your done. Clint

Alan in Vermont
06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
If you need more brass, I could provide for your needs, once fired Federal a small or medium FRB full for just postage. LMK
vern

I think I'm pretty well fixed for brass, I just swapped some 223 for a couple hundred more and picked up a bunch at the range yesterday. I've got another stash of it around here "somewhere"as well, resting quite comfortably in one of those handy cottage cheese containers. The only sketchy part is the "somewhere."

After a brief pause,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

Well!! I just went through the pile of stuff and found "somewhere". Not only was the 40 brass there but so was a bunch of 44 mag and some other odds and ends. That puts me well over the top for brass as I now either have, or have coming, a bit over 400 rds.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure if x101airborne's mold is the same ?
but I have a 6 cav. Lee (PN:90433) TL401 175 SWC it has a bevel base.
Looks like this http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LEE90433

The nice thing about this mold, with WW alloy held at a temp just under 700º
boolits drop fairly round at .402"
It is one of the few boolits I don't size.
The bevel base aids in seating an unsized boolit
I tumble lube them twice with 45-45-10 as lightly as possible,
why twice ? I lube them so lightly I can miss spots if lubed just once.
My go to load is 5.0 gr. Unique

This boolit probably won't be a tack driver,
but if your friends XD barrel isn't too large, it shouldn't lead it up.

If your interested, I can borrow you the mold for a while
and I can pack some 40 brass in the box as well.
Jon

Alan in Vermont
06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
x101airborne is sending me his mold and bulge buster die, so that end of this is covered.

Thank you, Trey!!

Next step is sizer dies. Probably .402? If you're shooting .40 you probably know way better than I what is best. Die and punch for either Star or RCBS/Lyman. Won't need it for a while yet and when I do I won't need it for very long.

Somebody must have one,, please.

x101airborne
06-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Sorry for not saying before.... I think I do have a Lee sizing die. I will have to check and if I do, I will send it with the first package.

Firebricker
06-15-2012, 01:32 AM
I have a size die for a Star that your welcome to use for a weeks. Send me a PM if you need and I'll get it mailed out. FB

Alan in Vermont
07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Bringing this back to the top. Thanks to x101airborne I have a mold and loading dies in hand. Cast a bunch of boolits, that mold sure does spit out good ones.

I have been trying to contact the member who offered Star sizing die/punch. No reply to PM or email for a week now. I really want to keep moving on this so I can get everything borrowed sent back. Can anyone help me out with a sizer/punch combo for a Star or a sizer for Lyman/RCBS, probably .402 or thereabouts. Keith has already offered a top punch for the Lyman/RCBS sizer if I have to go that route. Bevel Base boolits so it would be way easier to run them through my Star.

Anyone?

Please?