PDA

View Full Version : braking in a rossi 92

makicjf
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Just picked up a 20 inch rossi 92 in 45 colt. A round bbl as I could not find an octagon. It slugged at .452 , so I have been running unsized lee 255 rnfp through it A/C over 10 of unique. The 24 inch octagon rossi shoots sub 3 inch groups at 100 yards with this load, and I get no lead. It did take it a while to smooth out and dial in. I was curious if the bore was a bit rough. I actually ran a bunch of Lasercast through it, then went back to the a/c and it tightened up and quit leading.
The new 20 inch shoots about 2 1/2 to three inches to the left and the best I can do after about 70 rounds is 6 inches at 100 or 3 inches at 50. I am getting more crud than I would like. Should I run some hard, hot Lasercast through it, clean it and retry with the standard 260 rnfp over 10 of unique, just use some W/D home cast and see if it tightens up? Maybe run some heavy 315 GC through it and see if the bore smooths up? This is actually a Cowboy action rifle, so the current level of accuracy is ok, but this handy little gun fits my saddle scabbard perfectly and would like to have it as an option for pigs and 100 yards or less deer. Besides, its not much fun to shoot 6 inch groups at 100 yards.
Should I be patient and let it wear in or expidite the process in some way?
Thanks!
Jason

saz
06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I would definitely start with slugging the bore. I have seen them vary a bit with the Rossis. My 454 sluggs at .4545" and my buddy's is at .456". Start there and see what you come up with.

runfiverun
06-13-2012, 05:18 AM
put that back in my gun cabinet and quit playing with it....
first the argies now the leverguns [as bad as the kids]

take a good look at your front sight on that 20" bbl mine is a bit bent i put a dot of paint on it where it needs to be. but in the shadows it shoots a bit left too.
and since the sight is on the bbl band i need to replace the whole thing.

back to the bbl.
if it is a newer one they are made by taurus, and apparently 44 caliber meanss 431-2 and 45 means 454ish except once in a while when it means 430 and 452.
i'd do a quick check of that and also look for tight spots under the dovetail and bbl engraving.
a bit of [lapping] shooting high antimony boolits might be in order.
waterdropping is great for this as it allows the antimonial dendrites to actually scrape down the bbl and speed up the process.
or you could just try a larger boolit and see what happens.

makicjf
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
You guys are cool! the front sight, after looking at it with this info , is centered but the post has a slight bow to the right. Just perceptable if one is looking for it. Would I be utterly foolish to try and take out the bend? If I were to dab some paint on the bead would I put it on the right side? My dyslexia gets the better of me sometimes and i do things backwards.
I ran a .455-456 soft round ball down the bbl and It was just over .4525 (ish) It felt a hair tight under the rear sight dovetail. The lee rnfp unsized runs between .454 and .455 and has worked well in the other rossi, after I wore it in. I do not have any hard .454 cast or loaded and all 1500 of my colt cases are full. Do ya"ll think if i ran some hard lasercast hot (26 h110) 255 swc it might smooth it up a touch? I know they are undersized, but are harder than heck. I should have W/D the boolits I cast for it this weekend, but forgot that I ran the other rossi hard for about 500 rounds. I wish my rugers would shoot the .454 without shaving the boolits. Having specefic rounds for specific weapons of the same caliber almost defeats the purpose of the Blackhawk 45 colt/ Rossi 92 45 colt combo.
the fat unsized chamber in both BH and shoot well, but I get shaved lead in the bbl.
Thanks for your help!
Jason
Ps _ Is "braking in " a rifle stopping it? Breaking in. Geesh. lol

RobS
06-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Front sight goes the same direction as impact and the rear sight would go the opposite direction of impact if you are trying to match point of aim with point of impact. I don't know what direction your boolits are hitting the target but the above info. will get you running straight.

Also running .452 or undersized bullets from laser cast (probably 20+ BHN bullets) with 26 grains of H-110 will likely lead the heck out of your barrel and would not be the answer to things. Your barrel needs larger diameter boolits than .452 to run well. Your air cooled .454 boolits could also be undersized if the case is swagging them down when you are reloading. I suggest that you go back and pull a air cooled round and measure the very edge of the base band to see if things are still the intended diameter.

What do you mean that you get shaved lead in the barrel when shooting .454 bullets in your Ruger Blackhawk. I shoot .454 in mine with .4525 throats and don't have problems; I know many others do the same.

Longwood
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Holding a gun wrong can cause it to shoot off to one side.
Have someone watch you shoot.
Try shooting a pistol like the stupid teenage retards do and you will see why the innocent baby in the next door neighbors yard is who dies.

It is common to have to move the sights with a brass drift (punch).

makicjf
06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
RobS,
I was pretty sure the undersized hard lasercast would cause that issue (i was being lazy and searching for a short cut). I'll cast some wd unsized and run them through.
When I shoot unsized through the rugers, If I look down the bbl after removing the cylinder I can see small "ribbons" of lead. they clean out 90 percent with a dry patch and the rest comes clean easily with hoppes, a brush and then a dry rag. They are not stuck on the bbl, but look like the boolit was shaved down. I was afraid If i shoot a bunch I thought they might get ironed into the bore. Though I did run 30 rounds unsized rounds through each pistol a few weeks ago at my first cowboy match and they cleaned up really easily. They were lee 230 tc unsized ac. I'll run some of the unsized through tonight and see what happens.
I was wondering if I am rolling the carbine a touch making it shoot left, but My 30/30, the 24 inch rossi 92, my ak 47 all are smack on for windage without adjustment. My sons Moisen Nagant actually hits a little to the right. The little rossi has a very short stock and perhaps my monkey arms are causing me to alter my hold. I am having a leather pad with case hlders made to lengthen the lenght of pull. maybe that will help.
I can be a bit dense about directional thinking ( I get myself turned around, upside down and backwards) When i was hitting left with the short ruger I moved the rear sight right until it matched up. To raise the point of impact, I raised the rear sight. To make a rifle shoot lower, I would add height to a front post. If I want to ( which I may not) move the impact point to the right, would I then move the front post slightly left?
Thanks.
Jason

Sensai
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
You've got it, move the front sight opposite of the direction that you want to move the impact. Move the rear sight the same direction that you want to move the impact. My Puma took a while to settle down, too. I sped it up a bit with some fire lapping rounds, but I don't like using them much. I just used enough to get the tight spots under the dovetails openned up. Your revolver problems sound more like forcing cone to me, but I've been wrong before.

John Boy
06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Should I be patient and let it wear in or expidite the process in some way?Jason, put plenty of Bhn 13 to 15 rounds down the bore and your Rossi will be more accurate than when it came out of the box

I have two: the Colt 45 - 24" is my CAS workhorse with 12,000+ BP loaded bullets down the bore. It shoots very accurately out to 200yds and with a steady trigger pull ... I have all the confidence there is that the rifle will perform. Also have a 20" Colt 45. Only about a 1000+ shot in it but it too is getting better and better

Plus, the Possi M92's can easily be tuned up that is a pleasure to operate. Both of mine, one can open & close the finger lever with their little finger.
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm

In addition, with the 24" Rossi, I have never had a broken part or a mechanical failure. I have only field stripped it twice cleaning the innards!

makicjf
06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
So I ran about 15 rounds through the little rossi tonight. I had to tweek the front blade left twice but windage is pretty good. 3 shot Groups shrank too, about 2 inches at 50 yards from kneeling. I only had lead under the rear sight dovetail. I think when I fired the last time I had not allowed the boolits to age, They were more than likely soft. Age can be a good thing . I am going to WD some boolits and use those in the carbine for a while. My boy and I are headed to the range friday after we help prep the cowboy match site, so hopefully I can wear the rifle in a bit more before i use it in saturday and sundays matches. This may surpass my 336 30/30 as my favorite horseback packing around rifle if it tightens up.
The little ruger shot the unsized well,too. I had a 2 1/2 inch group off hand at 25 yards. still had some lead "scale" on a dry cloth but it cleaned up pretty easily.
I'll keep shooting and I think this little carbine will be as accurate and clean as its 24 inch big brother. Thanks all for the help.
Jason

runfiverun
06-14-2012, 12:18 AM
excellent.
you could [bad word coming up] buy a box of jaxketed and load them up pretty hot and whang them down the bbl to speed things up a little too.

makicjf
06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
I had the thought of picking up some hornady 250 hollow points. That is what I load and carry in my CCW pistols and I am down to just 18 of them in 45 colt and 22 in the 45 acp. If I scrubbed it real well then shot fifty or so I would still have 50 to use. +$30 a box for bullets makes me wince. It would hasten up the seasoning, though. thanks
Jason

Iron Mike Golf
06-14-2012, 06:40 PM
I recently got a 20 inch round barrel Braztech 92 in .357. Lots of tool marks in the bore. It does shoot nice and tight. I've been doing some firelapping and getting it smoothed out. Up to about 20 rds. Almost done. Much reduced the leading.

Mine shoots to the left with iron sights. I put a scope on it.