PDA

View Full Version : Cooler in my hypothetical pickup

Jamesconn
06-11-2012, 09:45 PM
When I get my dodge power wagon from the mid to late 70s I want to have a toolbox and a cooler in it all the time and I was wondering if there is a cooler that's the same shape as a toolbox that bolts into the truck just like a toolbox.

Is there such a thing?

x101airborne
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Dunno..... If you have some basic experience with fiberglass, you could build one into the toolbox. And I mean take a toolbox, divide it, line it, insulate it, and install a simple 12 volt plugger inner like they sell at the sporting goods stores. Coleman, I think makes them as well as others.

koehn,jim
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I would look at some of the older Coleman coolers , swap meet item, they had a metal exterior and could be bolted into the tool box. get a used bar sized ref and take the cooling system and a 12 volt converter and you could run it off the trucks battery. Its an easy conversion i did it to the fish locker on my boat. You can do it for less than 100 dollars if you shop used.

41 mag fan
06-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Had a drill Sgt, at ft Leonardwood who used styrofoam in his tool box. Sealed the seams with silicone and installed a drain plug, in it.
Was out on our weekend off base from AIT, he pulled up. Name was Sgt Green I believe.
Asked if we wanted a beer...of course it was a h*ll ya!
opened up his tool box and it was loaded with iced down beer. One side to the other.
thought that was a nift cooler. Told us it'd stay cold for 5 days before needing refreshed with ice.

Jamesconn
06-12-2012, 01:16 PM
If i could make it ice free and run off a battery that I can charge via solar panel that would be awesome more room for beverages and I like messin around with electronics and constructing stuff like this.

Superfly
06-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Conner i have pretty much the same set up in my semi i run 4 batts And if i dont start my truck and run it in 36 hours i am pushing my luck to get it started i run a 5000 watt peak power invertor if i was you i would put 1 8 d 12 volt tractor batt in a tool box with a batt isolator so it charges when your truck runs and it will only pull power from the 8 d Batt for the cooler fridge and not kill your starting battery. i would recomend a 1500 watt invertor as you will use it for other things like charging batts for drills or flashlights or a microwave or what ever. Insulate the hell out of it and remember a invertor uses power even if it is not putting out power.

Jaime

Houndog
06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Go by a truck stop and look at the 12 volt portable refrigerators that look like a cooler. I used one for many years in my 18 wheeler. The only drawback is the condensate on the inside from the bimetal plate that provides the cooling. If you are using them with canned or bottled goods it is no problem.
BTW: the one I had (Coleman brand) drew less than 1 amp current.