[smilie=w:

white eagle
06-11-2012, 08:18 PM
guess no one knows bout em
its a real tight gun and smooth light trigger
best gun yet :lovebooli

Guesser
06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I have a Trooper 357 and a Trooper Mark III. They are totally different guns, different appearance and very different lock work. I like them both and they shoot the same hand loads equally well. That is more than I can say about any two of my Ruger 357s or any two of my Smiff 357s. My Colts are my favorites. Great guns.
Now which Trooper do you have?

David LaPell
06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
A co-worker I know has an early Trooper that was his dad's and it is a pretty tough old gun and it is fairly accurate. I don't know too much about them as I don't see them that often and it seems everyone is more ga ga over the Pythons. I think if the price is right they make a darn good carry gun in the woods and I bet with the right loads it would be dandy on deer.

bigboredad
06-11-2012, 09:27 PM
you dog you:razz:. Another nice gun to pick up wow do they just fall out of the sky up there:shock:. The trooper is a good solid gun not a python but you will get much enjoyment out of it shoot it and enjoy it my friend

white eagle
06-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Trooper mark 111
na just keep my eyes open Nick

9.3X62AL
06-12-2012, 12:10 AM
I've owned 3 of the Mk III Troopers over the years. All were excellent, accurate revolvers at least as strong as the L-frame S&Ws. Their actions are MUCH simpler than the older Colt V-spring lockwork or the S&W lockwork. I'm still kicking myself over a 6" in 22 LR I passed on at the last Big Reno Gun Show I attended. They are very serviceable firearms.

Poygan
06-12-2012, 08:23 AM
I had one with an excellent trigger and overall a good revolver and value for the money. Almost as good as the Python I had at the time.

Silver Jack Hammer
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
When I hired on my law enforcement agency in 1982 they asked me if I had gun. I said I sure did, a Ruger Super Blackhawk. The Captain gave me his Colt Trooper Mark III to go through the academy. A buddy of mine hired on a neighboring agency and we went through the same academy class together. He also had a Colt Trooper Mark III. Firearms training was a week straight of shooting. Neither of us could afford a Python as new hires. Those guns never missed a beat. Come to find out a lot of guys went through the academy using the Captains borrowed Colt Trooper Mark III. I think it’s commendable that gun can go from rookie to rookie through intense use where mistakes are not allowed and keep going.

bigboredad
06-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Well good find I doubt you'll be disappointed. I'm just jealous

Geraldo
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Well good find I doubt you'll be disappointed. I'm just jealous

Me too. If it were a 6" Mk III I'd be insanely jealous.

beagle
06-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Great find. At one time, Colt would furnish them with a short action and a friend had one. It was a shooter. An Officer's Model Match in .357 if you can visualize that. Too bad you found it and not me./beagle

buck1
06-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I had one. It was a very good gun. Very tight and shot nice tight groups. It was so tight it hated to be dirty at all or it would start to bind wile cocking.

Hardcast416taylor
06-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Still have my Mk 3 from carrying it back in the early `70`s. It was a smart buy then for me and a fine shooter to this day.Robert

smkummer
06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
The short action was never offered in the MKIII series. Strong, tough and reliable gun. Unlike the older action v spring Colt, these can lock up from grit or friction from not lubing the action. It might be recommended to not dry fire because if the firing pin breaks, it means a trip to Colt to fix. But in 1969, they dry snapped one 250,000 times without breakage and 20,000 rounds of .357 ammo. The good about the MKIII series is that in normal use the timing never goes out of time unlike the older V spring Colt such as a python. Size wise these compare to the L frame Smith.