PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Sealer woes

StratsMan
06-11-2012, 05:05 PM
The pump on my sealer runs much longer now than when it was new... Sometimes it just can't seem to get enough vacuum to stop the pump and engage the heater circuit to seal the bag...

I wonder if it's the clamp/seal that's leaking, or if the seals on the vacuum pump itself are leaking... Anybody have similar experiences???

duke76
06-11-2012, 06:20 PM
try cleaning the sealing surface, also I have had some issues with bad (generic bags) or possibly old

dale2242
06-11-2012, 10:11 PM
I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer.
My first one quit sealing.
One suggestion on using these things.
Anything that is juicy enough so that the vacuum will pull the liquid into the unit needs to be frozen for an hour or so, until it gets semi hard.
This way the liquids will not get between the layers of plastic and ruin the seal or get sucked into the unit and foul it....dale

SciFiJim
06-12-2012, 12:08 AM
I have been looking for a good vacuum sealer. What should I be looking for? What brands should I avoid?

Mooseman
06-12-2012, 12:18 AM
After trying several Brands , The Food Saver is the only brand that works unless you buy a commercial model that is very expensive.
We vacuum seal 100's of pounds of Moose, Caribou, Salmon, Lingcod, and Halibut so it has to work for us.
I also found that using the Vegetable bags from the grocery store (I buy a roll) makes it easy to pack filets and mooseburger so that no moisture gets in the machine...Freezing the pieces before vac sealing is the other way to do it.
Some food savers have a small filter in the line that needs to be cleaned , its like a foam rubber plug. The newer Model doesnt have that that I have found.
The New Silver upright vac sealer we have works fantastic as long as you take your time while using it.

Rich

Rooster
06-15-2012, 12:06 AM
We use the Foodsaver. Go to their website as they run clearance specials on bags and machines from time to time. Our first one died the liquid death. Freezing was the corrective measure we took for that. The next unit we got on special and its the bees knees with all the bells and whistles.
We also have the attachements for the reg. and wide mouth mason jars and use them for all kiinds of storage. Picked up some half gallon jars for pasta, sugar, dehydrated stuff, etc. bulk storage. Just be aware it isn't a replacement for pressure canning though. I think botulinum toxin is one of the most poisonous toxins out there. Horrible way to go too.

bearcove
07-04-2012, 05:16 PM
We wrap filets in cling wrap then pack. helps stop moisture. Salmon keeps 2 years with a good vacuum.