PDA

View Full Version : Info on MAS 49/56

MtGun44
06-11-2012, 01:04 AM
I handled a MAS 49/56 at a gun show today that had been converted to
7.62x51 (.308 Win) - so stamped and overstamped on the side of the
receiver. I had a pretty good bore, and looked to be in very good or better
external condition. I considered buying it, but I know next to nothing about
these rifles and literally nothing about conversions.

Are the conversions made with the original barrel? Shortened and rechambered
or can they be done with just running a reamer into the chamber? Bolt
face or extractor mods? Are they reliable when converted? I noted that the
mag was also marked ".308" - so I assume that there is some mod to the
mag to feed .308s. Were these done by some importer or by individual
gunsmiths? Known to be good or known to be crummy rework?

Any info on normal mil condition accy of these and subsequent accy after the
conversion to .308 (groove diam?? etc) would be appreciated.

How hard is it to mount a red dot or scope?

What is a good price for one of these?

Bill

Piedmont
06-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Mtgun44, They are crummy reworks. Century did a bad job of it including shortening the recoil spring when they set the barrel back for a cartridge that operates at substantially higher pressure than the original 7.5 French. The conversion did use the original barrel.

I love the 49/56 but it is a rare .308 version that works, and even if it does work, since the conversion was poorly done, how long will it continue to work. Three-oh-eight ball is no longer cheap by the case, so you might want to just buy one in 7.5 French. You have to reload but you are used to that. The conversion of 6.5 swede to 7.5 French is just a trip through the sizing die. As the neck expands it shortens a mm so you don't even need to trim the case.

Ed in North Texas
06-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Agree with Piedmont. Handy little semi-auto with decent accuracy.

Ed

5 RING
06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
MtGun44
I have heard nothing but bad things about the Century imports. if you can find one that hasn't been re-worked/converted to .308 then get it. just my 2 cents

Hang Fire
06-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Other day I got to shoot a MAS 49/56 in 7.5x54mm, it is one sweet little rifle and very accurate. For me offhand, I am not that good anymore (if ever was) but I did minute of pie plate at 100 yards with it.

Another guy had ago at it, watching him shoot offhand was a pleasure. He was steady as a rock and his 5 shot group was something to behold. I had never met him before, but the way he shot leads me to believe he is, or was into competition. I was shooting my Mas 1936 bolt action, the guy didn’t seem to be impressed with cast boolits. I asked him if he wanted to try some, but he declined.

MtGun44
06-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks, that is what I was worried about.

Bill

primersp
06-16-2012, 12:32 PM
BILL

very fews 49/56 were modified in 308 w or 30 nato for the french police , the 49/56 which fall accuracy are these who serve for grenade launcher ,some anti tank grenade weight more than 1,2 kg not very good for an rifle barrel .

ANDRE

MtGun44
06-16-2012, 10:52 PM
primersp,

I think that these have been reworked by Century Arms, and not particularly well. I'd like
to find an original rifle, even though the cartridge is not too easily obtained here, it is not all that
difficult, either. If I ran across a real NATO conversion done properly for the police, that would
be excellent, but I fear that what is available here will be badly done. A shame to mess up
what appears to be a quite interesting design.

Bill

primersp
06-17-2012, 02:18 AM
BILL
i don't think than more than 200 were made in arsenal for the police , if they not destrye , it's very scarce.
be careful all the french stock have been sold many years ago , some african surplus come on the market today .
the scope mount for the 49/56 is an dovetail cut on the left of the receiver .

ANDRE

MtGun44
06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks, Andre!

If I find one with a decent barrel in the original caliber, I'll pick it up if the price isn't too
crazy. I have heard it is a pretty good rifle.

Bill