PDA

View Full Version : Pbhead has passed

bobthenailer
07-08-2005, 07:40 AM
to all of you who chatted or knew pb head [george dyer] he passed away on june 30 2005, he was 62 years old ! he & his wife mary ran the east mongahela sportmans pistol shoots on tuesday & thursdays nights & air pistol matches for about 10 years , mary also shot the matches and beat george at times . george [pb head ] also made most of the cast bullets for the shooters , and was one of my few friends who knew as much about casting as i do and he was allways at the range expermenting ,when i saw pb head we allways talked cast bullets some times for hours. most of his reloading and shooting equipment will probely be bought by his friends which leaves his bullet casting equipment which is quite alot when things dye down i will talk to mary and see if she wants to sell his equipment on our talk sight ! well i guess he has gone to the big melting pot in the sky and he will be greatly missed by me and all his friends and family, A GOOD ALL AROUND GUY!!!!!!!!!!! bob noel [bobthenailer]

45nut
07-08-2005, 08:53 AM
My sincere condolences. Please pass along to mary the best wishes of the CB crew.
I recieved a couple of checks from George over the years,he was a generous contributor in our short history and I always looked forward to his posts. He will most certainly be missed. A fine Man and valuable resource of knowledge . I hope as well that he has a fine time showing newbies around the casting process at the great range in Heaven.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=48

Magnum Mike
07-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Inasmuch as i didnt really know pb head (even though i am just north of you guys by a coupla hours), i stll remember reading some of his posts, seemed like a great guy. Sorry to hear of his passing! 62 is entirely toooo young.

Wishing his family well,

Scrounger
07-08-2005, 09:35 AM
My sincere condolences. Please pass along to mary the best wishes of the CB crew.
I recieved a couple of checks from George over the years,he was a generous contributor in our short history and I always looked forward to his posts. He will most certainly be missed. A fine Man and valuable resource of knowledge . I hope as well that he has a fine time showing newbies around the casting process at the great range in Heaven.

This is something we need to do and we need for one of our leaders to take point on it: We lose several friends a year here because most of us are up in a vulnerable age group. We should have a fund ready to send flowers when we lose a brother. Unfortunately, many times, as in cases like this, we won't find out in time to send a funeral arrangement. Then we should send flowers to the widow, expressing our condolences, and thanking her for sharing her life mate with us, and aknowledging his contribution to our lives as well. This probably isn't spoken as eloquently as it should be, but I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say, and will start making arrangements before our next unfortunate loss. I am ready to make a cash contribution to get it started.

StarMetal
07-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Christ sake, damn, I had not to long ago sent George some 7mm cast bullets to try out. I'm terribly sorry to hear of his passing. This is kind of a sore spot for me as my brother just passed away not even a month ago and he lived in the same area as George. Well God bless him and may God be with his family to ease their lost.

Joseph

wills
07-08-2005, 10:38 AM
We probably ought to leave instructions to our next of kin how to log on and post notice of our demise.

Often we don’t learn of the loss of someone till days or weeks after it happens.

BruceB
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm very sorry to learn of this latest gap in our group. Condolences to all who knew George personally, and even though many of us will never physically meet, it still seems that we lose a friend whenever time or circumstance overtakes one of us.

Being one who is exactly George's age (62), this is yet one more reminder of our own mortality, and the fact that no one has promised us tomorrow.

It would be a valuable service to our widows, I believe, if someone living reasonably close by and in the know about casting and handloading would offer to assist in valuation and possibly dispersal of the technical equipment we all accumulate. Perhaps a list of such equipment could be posted here, which would allow us to contribute some meaningful funds to the family by paying reasonable market value (or MORE) for the tooling our departed buddy used during his time.

I know that I want MY gear (and guns) to go to folks who will put them to good use, and I suspect that I have plenty of company in this desire.

Jumptrap
07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Fellers,
Life is uncertain, Death is for sure.

That being said, we don't know what will take us out (I wonder what Pb head succumbed to) or when.

I told my son in law one day while we were in the garage looking at some of my casting stuff, "I know this looks like so much junk to you, but it's worth quite a bit of money. Don't trash it or sell it in a damned yard sale for 25 cents a pop." Of course, he didn't have a clue until I told him the real value.

Many of us probably have medical issues we never mention here and when somebody disappears...we may never know what happened. Hemmorhoids, hernias, heart disease, gall bladder, kidneys, liver, prostate, lungs, etc., etc....all part of life.....and death. It's all natural, just seems to arrive too soon.

Herb in Pa
07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
My sincerest condolences to George's family and friends. I enjoyed his posts and thought he lived in my vicinity (about 40 miles away).

KCSO
07-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I am sorry to hear about PB, I will miss his posts. When I was in my 20's it seemed like I had a wedding every week to go to and now it has been funerals. I agree with Jump about the equipment, my Uncle passed away a couple of weeks ago and his kids, who never got a dirty hand in their life, threw away all his tools. They just backed a roll off to the garage door and pitched the garage empty. Drill presses, compressors, table saw, if it fit in the dumpster away it went. Some tools that had been in the family for generations.

I have an inventory and a price list on my shop and my wife and my banker have instructions about how to sell the stuff. I will be ammending the instructions to include a posting here.

NVcurmudgeon
07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Our condolences to the family of George (PBhead.) Though we never met, I remember him as a knowledgeable poster and a formidable competitor in our postal matches. We have lost a piece of our little galena subcontinent that will be missed. Bill and Fran Lose

jh45gun
07-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Yea we are all getting to that age. Sorry to hear about your friend. I am 53 but I have several classmates in the last year or so that has passed. I guess I am getting to that age that funerals are getting to be more common. Well we all have to go through these things but it does not make it any easier.

Pop_No_Kick
07-08-2005, 03:16 PM
My sincere condolences. To Goerges Family Loss,
I as did not know him. I was Looking at the Post he had made on this board. He was a strong Charecter and vary Knowageable
and helped us newbie's. And kept some of us out trouble.

GoodBye George, With the Lords help. Maybe one day i will Have the Honer to meet you.

Pb. Head "a Silent Gun".

Chuck.

buck1
07-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for leting us know. My best to his family.
Most of us never meet in person but you still get to know each other pretty good here.
He will be sorely missed!!!!
At least hes where the boolits alwasy fly straight and guns never lead.

We just never know when it will be our turn. Live life today, for ...there aint none of us getting out of it alive!.....Buck

grumble
07-08-2005, 04:14 PM
"...If a clod be washed away by the sea, the continent is the less, as if a promentory were... Send not, therefore, to ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." --John Donne

Gonna miss ya, Pbhead.

Willbird
07-08-2005, 04:41 PM
That is sad, I did not know him well, but I am sure he will be missed by family and friends.

:-(

Bill

sundog
07-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Condolences from the Castpics.net family. sundog

9.3X62AL
07-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Wow. More of this takes place more frequently as I age, just a part of life I suppose. Increase in frequency doesn't temper the sadness through repetition, though.

Our family's thoughts and prayers go to Mary and to George's family and friends.

Al, Marie, and Family

45nut
07-08-2005, 08:41 PM
This is something we need to do and we need for one of our leaders to take point on it: We lose several friends a year here because most of us are up in a vulnerable age group. We should have a fund ready to send flowers when we lose a brother. Unfortunately, many times, as in cases like this, we won't find out in time to send a funeral arrangement. Then we should send flowers to the widow, expressing our condolences, and thanking her for sharing her life mate with us, and aknowledging his contribution to our lives as well. This probably isn't spoken as eloquently as it should be, but I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say, and will start making arrangements before our next unfortunate loss. I am ready to make a cash contribution to get it started.

I second your heartfelt thoughts there Art. However most of the members have put only the minimum entries in filling the "form" during registration and although this information will never be shared I can understand the hesitation when you look at the jobs the professional credit card processors are doing.

I would be most eager to encourage the membership to help and send flowers out,ect,ect as well as help the survivors in correctly passing along the equipment we have accumulated.
I was once given some very nice quanities of powder because the executor of a tinker's estate listened first to a lawyer and was most eager to get the "dangerous gunpowder and misc" off of his property.

Ignorance can be cured with proper application of forethought and dilligence in dispensing knowledge.
We "owe" it to the hobby to make sure our gear is forwarded to a good cause and not merely discarded as trash and landfill volume.
I encourage all members to reach out and find at least one shooter to introduce to the family as a designated "helper" when the time comes.
More contacts would be better IMHO.
If anyone cares to donate or can help in the setting up of a proper fund I ask that you contact Buckshot,Sundog,Dep Al,Waksupi or myself.

As Jumptrap said,there are few certainties and while our passing is among them we can try to impact the world in a positive way. For myself,this board,while in the scheme of the big picture has become something of a legacy that I will cherish. The people that find this board a daily habit are among the finest on the web and the loss of one such as pbhead hurts. My thoughts were with him most of the day,my hope is that mary does get the chance to look in and see how he will be missed.
I am getting up now to give our friend a cast boolit salute. 21 rounds of cast boolit ammo in Memoriam to George.

buck1
07-08-2005, 11:03 PM
I am getting up now to give our friend a cast boolit salute. 21 rounds of cast boolit ammo in Memoriam to George.

I can think of nothing I would like better, if it would have been me.
I also will fire 21 of my finest in the morning, for PB. ...Buck

waksupi
07-08-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm always at a loss at an occassion such as this. George and I passed correspondance fairly frequently. Such an occurance is always a shock, and I never have the right words. I first read the news about 5:30 this morning, and had to come back to it, to be sure it was true.
Guys, no matter what your age, I guess I always consider you all around my own age, and in as good of physical condition. At times, reality comes to the forefront, and lets us know we are far from immortal.
But maybe we are. My religious beliefs most likely vary considerably from the general member here, as I am most closely related to the native animist beliefs, but I certainly believe in an after life, and am most likely considered an evangelical Christian when you get right down to it, as are the majority of the members here. That is just because the beliefs parrelell each other so closely. Kind of like Luthern, and Presbyterian. No one here asks what another believes, and that is good. For those who wish to witness here, that is fine. That is your business, and is what your faith tells you to do.
It is a personal relationship with the creator, that each person must be comfortable with. I remember the Indians telling all the missionaries to go home, and decide which of thier religions were the true one, and then come back. It remains the same today, with so many sects and offshoots of churches.
I think George was comfortable with himself, and happy. And I believe, even in death, he will remain so.

woody1
07-08-2005, 11:37 PM
I never met him in person, but I had the good fortune to make a couple of trades with George thru the forums. I think I'll fire 21 from here too. George will know. Regards, Woody

Frank46
07-09-2005, 04:26 AM
I have to agree with jumptrap. My wife really does not know what I have in the way of reloading gear and casting equipment. Some shyster would come along and talk her out of it for a few bucks. Have seen it happen a few times. I would like to see it being used by someone who knows the worth and enjoys what we all enjoy when we reload or cast boolits. My condolences to Georges Family

Shuz
07-09-2005, 10:14 AM
At a time like this,words can not truly express how I feel. My sincere condolensces go to Mary as she begins to cope with her loss. I hope to meet George in Heaven some day.--Shuz

Bass Ackward
07-10-2005, 07:31 AM
What a shocker! As it always is, I guess. This is a shame and a set back to the shooting sports. My condolences to his family.

I doubt seriously that any of his family ever knew of his communications here unless it was to inconvience them from something in their lives. That tells you how important George felt his time with us was. Through this board, a part of George, lives on and is a record for all now. And if we never knew George, we did. We will just meet him later.

waksupi
07-10-2005, 10:12 AM
George's family has made a post on the Accurate Reloading cast bullet forum. There is an email address there, should you wish to send condolences to the family.

frank l jr
07-15-2005, 10:51 PM
just got back in town, sorry to read of p b passing.yes 62 is much to young, seems as most of us are up in the upper range,that have been casting a while, we all need to pass our knowledge on to the younger ones, as did p b. god speed, we are diminished. peace
frank

waksupi
07-16-2005, 01:43 AM
I just got word this evening, of the passing of two of my good friends. I may post more about them later. One was a friend I worked with in fish and Game, the other an old Indian friend, who had made a few posts on the original Cast Bullets room. I can't say much right now about it. I have no words.

Ricochet
07-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Haven't been on here in a while. I'm sorry to hear of Pb Head's passing.

Iron River Red
07-30-2005, 07:30 PM
We at Iron River Bullets knew George also and can say he was always a trusted source for casting knowledge.

Please pass my regards to Mary when you talk to her next.

Iron River Red

Iron River Bullets, Inc.

Bobo
07-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi fellows. Im new to the forum. PB head was a good friend of mine and I shot with him often. I read all the comments about him and it looks like he was as well liked here as he was at Mckeesport Gun Club. I went to see him for the last time and his wife told me what happened to him. He was having chest pains 2 days prior to his death but wouldn't go to the doctors. He said he didn't want to make a fool of himself and it was just gas pains. I guess that should make all of us old timers take chest pains a little more seriously. George died in his sleep of a heart attack.
As for his equipment, I think his wife knows of its worth and wont be taken advantage of. George wasn't overly wealthy but was the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his back.
He will be sorely missed by myself and all his shootin buddies at the club. Our loss is surely heavens gain.
Rest in peace old friend, Bobo (Bob O'Brien)

Buckshot
08-01-2005, 05:48 AM
.............Bobo, welcome ot the board and thanks for the further onfo on PB Head. After being on the board awile most everyone becomes friends that just haven't personally met. Each one gone is a definate loss.

.............Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
08-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Bobo, If we had to lose PBhead, it is good to be able to welcome a friend of his to the board. Our thoughts and prayers are with with his family.