PDA

View Full Version : 44 Swaged bullets

whtsmoke
06-10-2012, 09:37 PM
I have been doing some cleaning and came across an old Pacfic 44 caliber ram and die for swaging bullets along with a couple of boxes of cups, Ihave a lyman 44 cal adjustable core mould also. Do you think itwouldreallybe worth messing with or should I just box them and store them?

williamwaco
06-10-2012, 10:58 PM
If you don't want to "mess" with it, offer them for same here. I bet someone here would love to have them.

DukeInFlorida
06-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Half jacket style bullets were all most of the hobby reloaders had in the 1960's when the reloading hobby was really taking off. There weren't many places to buy factory jacketed bullets for pistols. And, even then, many of the factory bullets were the same 1/2 jacket style, with exposed lead noses.

It was a popular bullet style for years and years. I have some 1/2 jackets here, and run them from time to time. But, I much prefer my full metal jacket hollow points, which I make from my BT Sniper die set, using .40 S&W brass as the jacket. They come out looking exactly like Hornady XTP style hollow points.

Wayne Smith
06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm cutting down 40 cal brass to make half jackets to use the Herters set I got a year or so ago. Fun and shoot accurately. Had some good advice here about some of my early failures.