PDA

View Full Version : Swagging die For Round Nose Bullets

Bullseye93
06-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Hi Recently I have been investigating about the use of plating for making a jacket over a lead core (itīs not easy at all but its cheaper than buying 92% Copper-8%Zinc gliding metal) the process involves some chemicals that are dangerous but I can get them without too much effort, anyway the subject its about other thing related to the swaging die itself...

I want to make a Round Nose "Parabellum ojive" 9mm Projectile of Various weights...
For what I read the common plated bullets like the ones from Berry or the nice Speer TMJ are 1. Swaged the lead core 2. Plated with a little over zise than the final 3. Swaged again to give them the final dimension and round the base at some degree to facilitate the insertion of the bullet upon loading the cartridge...

Now, I can imaging the lead core swaging die but the Final size die? Here is a simple idea that I made but maybe I'm wrong... The most difficult part to understand to me is the ejector in a rounded nose bullet... If you look closely at a Speer TMJ or even a Reainer bullet you cant see any marks at the point so I suppose that They have a extremely tight ejector and copies the round profile at molecular level(really expensive to make) or maybe the use a totally different design of swaging die, in the other hand you can see the some marks at the base of the bullet that its were the Base rounding notch connects with the Final swage die...

For what a read the Round nose generally its cheaper than other desings because its easier to make but the manufacturing of this type of final dimension die would be really expensive to replace I think that's way I suppose that they use a different design

What do you Think? Its there a better way to make a round nose profile swage die ? Show me your ideas ! :)

Btw Sorry For the crappy draw I didn't have much time

Thanks in Advance

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_184984fd4f173de55f.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5541)