PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Lee M die

Dutchman
06-10-2012, 01:55 AM
I've seen reference to this modification before in this forum..

When I first got this Lee "expander" die (flaring die) I thought it showed promise for other uses... and this is the first of those uses. I think the requisite stock diameter is 11/16" and of course I had none so I had to turn down 3/4" stock. That's the only thing that made this time consuming and even at that it wasn't much time consumed. I use only the one piece and let it free slide to self-center easier. The Lee flaring die plugs serve some use but I prefer the piloted M-die design. The two I've made so far are for .311" and .323".

http://images50.fotki.com/v1528/photos/4/28344/9895637/DSCF3887m-vi.jpg

http://images14.fotki.com/v219/photos/4/28344/9895637/DSCF3889m-vi.jpg

blikseme300
06-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Very nice! I have been making my own inserts for the Lee PTX in pistol calibers that mimic the M die. This does not lend itself to small rifle calibers but your solution is what I will follow. I was not aware of this expander unit from Lee. Thanks for sharing.

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taminsong
06-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Is it possible to bore a hole so that it would become a powder thru?

Dutchman
06-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Is it possible to bore a hole so that it would become a powder thru?

No. It has a threaded plug on top to adjust.

I've made powder-through dies using the Lee die body and replicating the expander plug.

Dutch

geargnasher
06-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Nice job, Duchman. I make rifle PTE units with the Rifle Charge Die, just turn down the plug that comes with it. For ten bucks each they're cheap enough to have several, and they work well down to .30 caliber if you're careful when you push the case up into the die so it "stabs" the spud. I'm not certain, but I think the Universal Expander and Rifle Charge die have identical bodies, the adjustment plug, PTE funnel plug, and Autodisk measure base all have the same threads. I've mixed up PTE and UE bodies to the point now I don't know for sure without looking what's what.

I load .35 Remington on my Lee three hole turret press just like pistol cartridges using a .357 Magnum PTE spud. I'd use the four-hole turret, but I roll the case mouth under the band atop the crimp groove so, unlike revolver stuff, I can seat/crimp in one operation. Saves an extra pull on the handle that way.

Gear