PDA

View Full Version : I've been robbed!

smoked turkey
06-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Well the thing none of us wants to happen happened to us today. Our car was broken into while setting in a church parking lot in a small rural town in southwest Missouri. We were inside enjoying a 25th wedding anniversary. The rear seat drivers side window was shattered and missing was my wifes cell phone and my Ruger LCP from the center console. Reports were made by the local sheriff's deputy,fingerprints attempted, pictures were taken, etc. I would like to have some hope that things would be recovered but honestly it looks hopeless at this point.
Here is what I learned today: Have on your person at least the serial number of your carry weapon so you can get that into the system asap. I didn't have the S.N. and had to call it in after returning home a few hours later. It is best to have the weapon locked up somehow inside the vehicle if you elect not to take it with you. Our center console does not have a lock. Have the phone number of your cell phone provider so you can call them and make the report and lock the phone so it can't be used. We didn't have any idea how to call our provider. It took some looking around for a phone book and even with the number we had to make several attempts to "get a person to make the report to". We were not successful in getting the carrier to "ping" the phone in an effort to locate it. Seems ours was not emergency enough. The sheriff's dispatcher had no more luck than we did.
This is a very helpless feeling. I am saddened by the fact that my weapon is now in the wrong hands. I am evaluating what to do to avoid this from happening again.

canyon-ghost
06-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I have thought about bolting one of these through the floorboard:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/736762/lockdown-large-handgun-vault-pistol-security-box-10-x-6-1-2-x-2-steel-black

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/935593/lockdown-compact-handgun-vault-pistol-security-box-8-1-2-x-5-1-2-x-2-steel-black

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/397660/secure-vault-personal-electronic-top-load-safe-8-3-4-x-11-x-2-1-4-black

geargnasher
06-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Few things are quite as sickening as the feeling of being "violated" by theft like that, I'm sorry you're going through it. At least no one was hurt, and you weren't attacked yourself or forced to use that carry gun, things could just about always be worse. You can't do much more than you already are, but "hidden in plain sight" has always been my policy with a pistol in the vehicle, you can get very creative if you want, but it's just about impossible to keep thieves out of locked compartments, it just gives them more reason to do more damage. I had my vehicle broken into a few years ago at work, they stole a few tools and small items, but ignored the pistol hidden in the hollowed-out telephone book on the dashboard.

Gear

wallenba
06-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Were any other cars targeted? If not, it might be safe to assume that the perp knew what was in the car. And might even be known to you. Just sayin'

autofix4u
06-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Where at in SW Mo, i am in the Marshfield area and car breakins are rare, and at church no less. I have a habit of leaving my keys in the ign, and my carry gun on the seat while we are at services.
I do have the serial ## of my carry gun memorized....

R.Ph. 380
06-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Why was your gun in the car and not on your person? Sorry, just counterintuitive for me. The only time I'm not armed, is where they're prohibited(post office,federal court,sporting event, bar) Outside of that, they're going to have to take it one hollowpoint at a time.

Trey45
06-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Can't speak for where he lives, but in Va and NC carrying CCW in a church is forbidden.

runfiverun
06-09-2012, 10:22 PM
places here are also.
strangely the LDS church is pro-gun but they frown on guns in religious meetings
scout meetings and off campus shoots for the youth groups are okay, but not on sunday?

glw
06-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi Trey45,

Carrying in a church in VA is not prohibited. There is a clause in the law that says it is prohibited excepted with "good and sufficient reason." A few months back either the attorney general or the governor stated that personal protection was good and sufficient reason. (I don't remember offhand which it was, and I am too lazy to check right now.) The opinion isn't law, but it would be difficult for a court to rule otherwise.

We had a Norfolk special operations team office speak at our church, and he recommended that people carry at church. He gave an hour-long presentation on church security and what the Norfolk PD recommended that churches do for security. The entire security proposal used people from the congregation as security team members, and he recommended that the arm themselves.

I have been carrying at church in VA for many years. Police officers at church know that I carry. I have yet to hear of a single case where someone was arrested for carrying a firearm at church. (Unless, of course, they were criminals doing the things that criminals do.)

Blessings,
Glenn

WILCO
06-10-2012, 07:41 AM
The rear seat drivers side window was shattered and missing was my wifes cell phone and my Ruger LCP from the center console.

What are the legal ramifications to you, because of this? :coffee:

smoked turkey
06-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks to all for the insightful comments that you have made. My purpose in writing was in part to get it off my chest to others that would care and be empathetic towards my situation. But more than that I wanted others who carry mainly "in their car" to not be stuck like me without the serial number when their weapon comes up missing. Also it doesn't cost much to rig up a lock box either bolted down or tied down with a cable and in that situation maybe avoid the theft all together. The idea of hiding in something like a book is a good idea. In my location carrying in church is not a problem generally. I think it is more up to those in charge. In my church, after being robbed twice and have had an issue with someone in dispute with a spouse, we have beefed up security and our security men carry weapons. You never know if and when someone crazy will come in to do who knows what. Our pastor encourages carry concealed, and we have concealed carry classes given at the church by one of our members. I just didn't as a rule carry my weapon. It was in my car mainly to have when I get home late at night and want to be armed in case I have someone caught in the act when I arrive home. This has happened once. I don't have the car only attitude any longer. I will not leave my weapon in the car from now on unless it is locked securely.
I was asked if other vehicles were involved. There was another vehicle with broken window glass, although no weapon in their case, only articles taken from the rear seat. I am sure the perps didn't know there was a weapon in my car, they just got lucky when they opened my console. I am pretty certain the main thing they were after was the cell phone in the cup holder which was in plain sight. Other vehicles were on the lot and several had guns but they were not bothered. The sheriff said he thought it was kids and the method of glass breakage was with a skate board.
I haven't called my insurance co yet so I am not sure how they will treat this claim. I know this, so far it is a great aggravation to me and I think it will cost me quite a bit before it is put back to normal.

Mooseman
06-10-2012, 02:21 PM
IF you are an NRA Member , you are covered in most cases for 600 to 1000 dollars of Armscare insurance . They send out a packet and forms to fill out and you need a copy of the police report.

Rich

Love Life
06-10-2012, 02:39 PM
I bolted a minivault to my floorboard. I feel it was a good investment, and it may be something you want to look into. Also it allows me to be California compliant when I have to lock up the gun and ammo separately. I am sorry it happened to you. Does your insurance company have a valuable goods policy? I got one and they will replace lost or stolen firearms for replacement cost. They will even replace the firearm if you blow it up with a handload or your buddy backs up over it with a truck.

*******DISCLAIMER**********

I have never blown a firearm up, but my buddy did run over one of my rifles with his truck. He has also shot one of my chronographs, had a visit from the tinsel fairy, bulged a barrel, ordered the one Lyman 4500 that was not bored through all the way for the dies, ordered the one set of RCBS dies with no seating stem, etc. We all call him Can't Get Right.

**********DISCLAIMER*********

375RUGER
06-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Can't speak for where he lives, but in Va and NC carrying CCW in a church is forbidden.

Thank God that's not the case here. My wife also carries in church. Preacher is on board with it. Long time ago, I guess it was really bad in this area, he use to patrol the parking lot with a shotgun during service. Nowadays I just keep an eye on things with my 45.

Moondawg
06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
One of the problems with concealed carry in many states, there are as many places that you cannot carry as there are allowed carry locations. People are forced to leave there their CCW weapon in the car (where it may be stolen) or not to carry at all.
It seems like no place is safe from theft these days.

MBTcustom
06-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Why was your gun in the car and not on your person? Sorry, just counterintuitive for me. The only time I'm not armed, is where they're prohibited(post office,federal court,sporting event, bar) Outside of that, they're going to have to take it one hollowpoint at a time.
It is counterintuitive isn't it? I would go further and say that its dumb as rocks! Unfortunately, that's one of the (prohibited) places "here in Arkansas at least" so therefore, every Sunday morning, I have to disarm before going to services. You try to talk to an official about changing that law and they mention that you could leave your pistol at the house and not take it with you on the drive to church at all. So the only way my family can go to church is either to be at risk of robbery, or harassment from the police? Freedom of religion my foot!

Haggway
06-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Two years ago we had this happen in our neighborhood. Lost two hand guns, my cell phone, and some small stuff. Numbers were waiting on the deputies when they arrived. The cell company would not help much even the deputies. Eventually there were enough texts and phone calls to put the perps in my truck, but it was not good enough to indite them. Never got my guns back, but there were alot of names we got in the process. Its a live and learn process. Now I bring my truck gun/guns every night.

x101airborne
06-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Ok, Everyone take me with a grain of salt on this, but WHEN did we become a society that takes exception to the rule that we do not need to ask forgiveness for doing something legally? I applaud his decision to not carry in church, as he SHOULDNT HAVE TO! But his first thought is not what legal responsibilities he may face because someone broke into his car. Catch him / her, hang em, and be done with it.

Just today in the Shiner, Tx paper, a man found another man molesting his 4 year old child and beat him to death. TO DEATH!! And now he is facing charges for MURDER. I am sick and tired of saying that I will take someone elses abuse for fear of reprecussions. Even my wife, who said she would probably never shoot a human being said if that was her child, she would have drilled him.

I am sick of this attitude and while it is not purely because of anyone here, and I am not blaming anyone, but SOCIETY has come to feel this way and after some current events it is prudent thinking.

But personally, Sir ,,,,,, I wish you would have caught em.

TCFAN
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Stan
So sorry to here of you theft of your gun.I had a Savage Anschutz 54 sporter stolen from my house several years ago when I lived in Springfield. It was the only thing they took and they had to move several handguns to get to it.I got it back the next day after a couple of kids found it in Jordan creek that runs through the city.Home owners insurance and the NRA insurance paid for the repairs. Over a 1000.00 dollars.
As for keeping the serial numbers of your guns handy I use a usb stick with photos of all my guns showing the numbers and several different close up views of each gun I own. It goes on my car keys and goes every where I go.
I hope that the ones responsible for the theft are caught and brought to justice. I hate a thief..........Terry

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Mmmmm

Artful
06-10-2012, 10:44 PM
As for keeping the serial numbers of your guns handy I use a usb stick with photos of all my guns showing the numbers and several different close up views of each gun I own. It goes on my car keys and goes every where I go.

Most of us now have a Micro SD in our cell phones that can be used for the same purpose - take pictures of Insurance, Driver's lic, SSA card etc and keep it on them as well.

Stan, you might also consider a cable lock inside your center console box, just make sure the ends are secured to real metal so they can't tear it out, on a LCP just remove mag and run cable thru frame and ejection port then secure, that way they got no ammo either.

KYCaster
06-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Sorry folks, but I don't understand why you'd leave a "carry" gun in the car.

Do they pat you down at the door?........Herd you through a chute with a metal detector?............Yer Sunday-Go-To-Meetin' outfit too skimpy to hide it?

If it's "concealed" then nobody's going to know you have it except YOU. The only places around here that have metal detectors are the court house and the post office in the county seat.....I seldom have a reason to visit either one.

One of our obligations as gun owners is to try to prevent our guns from falling into the wrong hands. I believe we're morally obligated to do everything in our power to prevent it. I know, sTUF happens, but if you have the gun on your person it can't be stolen from your car.

If the people who set policy for the church you attend are morally opposed to concealed carry in church then you really need to find another church to attend.

Luke 22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

I know this will offend some people and I apologize to Smoked Turkey for being so blunt, but that's the way I see it.

Jerry

msp2640
06-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear you were victimized and I hope your belongings are recovered and quickly, especially the firearm. In my home state, if I recall correctly, a vehicle B&E is a misdomeanor, however leaving a firearm unattended in the vehicle, is a felony. Again this is going from memory, but can you imagine calling the local Police to report the theft and putting yourself on the hook more than the perps? I really hope you get the firearm returned to you, before it can be used to further their crime spree or against someone. Best of luck - Bill

41 mag fan
06-11-2012, 09:52 AM
The sheriff said he thought it was kids and the method of glass breakage was with a skate board.

This comment cought my attention...how would the sheriff know it was a skateboard???? Was there a piece of the skateboard in or around the vehicle?
Just throws a flag up when they assume it was something like that and not a hammer or pipe ect ect.

Ok, Everyone take me with a grain of salt on this, but WHEN did we become a society that takes exception to the rule that we do not need to ask forgiveness for doing something legally? I applaud his decision to not carry in church, as he SHOULDNT HAVE TO! But his first thought is not what legal responsibilities he may face because someone broke into his car. Catch him / her, hang em, and be done with it.

Just today in the Shiner, Tx paper, a man found another man molesting his 4 year old child and beat him to death. TO DEATH!! And now he is facing charges for MURDER. I am sick and tired of saying that I will take someone elses abuse for fear of reprecussions. Even my wife, who said she would probably never shoot a human being said if that was her child, she would have drilled him.

I am sick of this attitude and while it is not purely because of anyone here, and I am not blaming anyone, but SOCIETY has come to feel this way and after some current events it is prudent thinking.

If you ask me, all convicted pedophiles and rapists need rounded up and given a "beaten to death" sentence.
I have always said if I ever caught or found out someone molested one of my kids or now that they are on their own someone raped my daughter, one of 2 things would happen.
One would be the police would find them beaten beyond recognition, or if caught before i could get my hands on them, all they'd hear is the crack of the rifle, as they were taking them into the courthouse for trial

schutzen
06-11-2012, 11:26 AM
A quick tip to all of the unfortunate members who have been or will be robbed/burglarized; Call your local law enforcement at day or two after you report your theft. Make sure your model and serial number have been entered into NCIC. I was burglarized last year and my Sherriff was very diligent about this. He had my numbers in 6 hours after I reported the break in. 3 days latter a PD in the next county recovered the first of my guns. Had my numbers not been entered because a supporting agency was waiting for the paperwork to follow, the "fence" would have been let go. Things snow balled from there. I now have 75% of them back. This is totally as a result of my local sheriff disseminating the information quickly.

I mention this because the sheriff himself told me the State Police will not post to NCIC the stolen serial numbers until the local PD's file a complete report with the State Police. This really upset him because he did not care as much about the paperwork as he does about catching the criminals. This really enters into the picture when the theft is reported to a small local PD/sheriff that cannot afford a direct connection to NCIC and must rely on a supporting agency.

fcvan
06-11-2012, 11:58 AM
It is a sad state of affairs when perps troll places of worship knowing attendees will leave phones and guns in their cars. Our pastor always reminded folks to turn off their ringer but never suggested folks leave valuables in their cars. Carrying guns was never discussed from the pulpit but individually. He knows who carries and who does not and expected us sheep dogs to help guard the flock.

As to carrying the serial numbers, I have to carry my qualification card, my retired ID, and a badge along with my weapon. Folks with CCLs in some states don't have to qualify with each weapon they carry so they might not necessarily have ready access to their serial numbers. Having a locked box is a good idea. Mine is small enough for one gun and has a cable to loop around the seat frame and tuck under the seat. Frank

19112TAP
06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I had my battery ripped out of my truck in a church parking lot a few years back.

ilcop22
06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry this happened to you, but you were not robbed.

A robbery is when someone forcefully takes something from you, as in pulling a knife or gun on you, or beating you up, then taking ...

Theft is when someone takes something of yours without your permission or knowledge

Robbery is the taking of one's goods by force or threat of force. Aggravated Robbery is the above when a weapon is involved, the perp is hooded or masked, or they know the victim to be of a protected category, such as teachers, cops, etc.

Theft is the taking of one's goods without permission with the intent to permanently deprive the victim thereof.

Burglary is entering another person's property/domain without permission with intent to commit a theft therein.

In this case, he was burgled.

Sorry, I'm a stickler for definitions! :-D

garym1a2
06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I email pictures of all my guns to myself so that they are in the cloud and I can get pictures anywhere on any computer. What idf home computer and USB stick was stolen or a fire?

hiram1
06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I am sad that it has to be this way in the US

onesonek
06-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Say what?
If it's locked in his car, why would he have ramification's.

I agree whole heartedly!!

Sorry for your loss ST

Uncle Jimbo
06-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Sorry this happened to you.
I learned long time ago not to leave anything of value in my cars. I don't lock the doors. If they want to look, they can. It doesn't cost anything, because they didn't break anything to gain entrance.
Today's cars and trucks are way to technical for the smash and grab car theft. So let them take a quick look.

smoked turkey
06-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Yes I agree that it is too bad that we have people in our area that give no thought when it comes to damaging or stealing other people's property. I really do feel bad that my weapon could fall into the wrong hands as a result of this burglary or what ever it anyone wants to call it. I also believe I could have taken more care in buying a lock box, anchoring it to the floor, etc. I started this thread here not to be given 40 lashes because I left the pistol in my locked car, or told that I might be the one in trouble as a result of this incident. I mention it because I know that others do the very same thing that I did. I am simply trying to warn them and perhaps pervent this from happening to anyone else. If in fact a person in my situation is more guilty than the perps that committed the crime then we really do have problems with our legal system. I kind of feel that I am the victim here and not the low life who should have been in the church rather than out in the lot breaking into cars. I stated above that in the future I will not leave my ccw weapon in my car without a securely locked box that is also secured to the car. Just so every one also knows, I called my insurance and found that my weapon and the wifes cell phone go against the homeowners insurance and the glass breakage goes against the vehicle insurance. In my case my deductibles are above the costs to replace all the items so this whole deal is on me to the tune of about $700-$800. I figure the phone and Ruger LCP fetched the perp a handsome $50-$100. I best quit before my blood pressure gets any higher. Thanks to those who somehow managed to speak words of encouragement or at least condolences for my loss.

Geraldo
06-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm sorry your stuff was stolen, and at church no less. Depending on how stupid or drugged the thief or thieves were, your gun may turn up pawned. You might want to let local gun and pawn shops know about it.

Also, I presume your cell phone company killed your phone for you, but you should ask them for a printout of all calls made on it. You might or might not believe the number of crimes, particularly homicides, solved by someone using the victim's phone.

Again, sorry it happened to you.

John 242
06-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Smoked Turkey-
First, sorry for your loss.
Nothing frustrates me and angers me more than feeling helpless and like a victim, so I can sympathize with how you feel
Second, regarding the replies you've gotten here, don't take it personal.
Most of these guys are not trying to attack you, they're simply trying to be helpful, in their own way.
Some are preaching to the choir, others are a little brash, but I believe that they mean well.
Even though you now agree to keeping your gun on your person, there are others that will still leave them in their cars. To each his own, but I think the point of most of the negative posts are to encourage others to always be armed. (That's how I read them).

Yes, there is some "blaming the victim" going on, but we can always learn from our mistakes. Kind of hard to take it the right way, especially on the internet, so soon after the fact. Kind of pulls your chain, if you know what I mean.

I personally want to thank you for posting what happened. I think some good information came from your post and several others. I appreciate it.

Moonie
06-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Can you site this for NC? It is my understanding that it most certainly is not prohibited, we even covered this in the concealed class I had a few months ago, instructor said it was legal.

I currently am unable to as my church meets in a middle school.

If a church has a school then you are correct, however it is because you can't carry at a school, nothing to do with the church.

Longwood
06-12-2012, 11:15 AM
I sometimes carry valuables in my vehicles.

The ones with alarms,, that is.

gwpercle
06-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Sorry this happened to you, but you were not robbed.

A robbery is when someone forcefully takes something from you, as in pulling a knife or gun on you, or beating you up, then taking ...

Theft is when someone takes something of yours without your permission or knowledge

Technicaly that is correct but I BEEN THEFTED just doesn't sound as good as I BEEN ROBBED.
What is the difference ...technicaly.. betweened ARMED ROBBERY and AGGRAVATED BURGLARY ? anybody know

Geraldo
06-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Technicaly that is correct but I BEEN THEFTED just doesn't sound as good as I BEEN ROBBED.
What is the difference ...technicaly.. betweened ARMED ROBBERY and AGGRAVATED BURGLARY ? anybody know

The difference is whatever it says in your state's statutes.