PDA

View Full Version : point me to where I can get the info

Beekeeper
06-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Without causing any strife would someone point me to where I can find BP granulation diferences.
Looking for pressure diferences between FFG and FG as well as volume.
Don't have any FG so cannot make my own measurements.

Reason:,
I now use FFG Goex in my Mausers.
Cartridges of the World says use FG
I use 70-75 grains of FFG book says use 77 grains FG
What is the diference and what effect does it have on my load?

As I have said in previous posts I am a total newbe at BP having shot my first round less than a year ago so some of the data and loads are foreign to me but am learning fast.

Thanks for reading this and any help I get.

Please do not start a P***ing contest over my post as I am trying to learn the best way I know.

beekeeper

joec
06-09-2012, 07:48 PM
May be this can help and based on the Lee dipper chart. 1cc of FG is 13.9 gr and FFG is 14.7 gr. Now for the life of me don't know why people care a lot about gr when loading BP as it is a powder based on volume not weight.

Don McDowell
06-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Beekeeper I believe Johnboy has posted on several occassions the seive ratios of the various powders.Might do a search either here or on Google.
I am from the old school prior to the fake blackpowder **** and firmly believe in weighing charges , altho volume measure works to a certain extent for some bp shooting. Don't know how things are nowdays, but in the dark ages of the 1970's and 80's my rifle measures set to a certain gr charge would thro very close to that setting when using 2f powder.
As a "lets see what happens when" test. I set my Lyman 55 measure to drop a 68 gr charge of Goex Cartridge, with out changing the slides then filled the hopper with goex 2f express, the weight was 72 grs, and when going to 3f express the weight was 75 grs.
Velocity with those same charges and 530 gr bullets went from 1160- 1200-1275.
Volume weights can change somewhat by humidity and some lots of powder will weigh differently than other lots , same brand same "f"

Back in the mid 1870's both Sharps and Remington in their catalogs stressed the importance of weighing charges to close tolerance as a 1 gr charge difference could make the difference between a miss and a hit especially at long range. They also warned of going with to small of a powder for the larger bores, and capacity cases,as fouling would go up and poor shooting would result.
Little has changed since they published that info 140 years ago....

Don McDowell
06-09-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/help/Black_Powder_Size_Charts.asp

martinibelgian
06-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Just to throw a spanner into the works - an identical volume of Swiss Fg weighs more than the reference volume of 1 1/2Fg. As to pressure difference - might just be a bit lower with the lighter bullets, depends. However, nothing to lose sleep about - you can easily use both. And Fg does have a tendency to work well in BN cases like that mauser case of yours.
As stated, some work by volume, some by weight - I also use volume as a starting point, and to determine weight required. Just like usng a powder measure with smokeless, nothing exotic about it.

Chicken Thief
06-10-2012, 04:27 AM
This should keep you buisy for a while:

http://www.laflinandrand.com/page3.htm

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/bp_burning/bp_burning.html

Measuring BP by volume alone makes no sense. The weight af BP waries according to formulation and tumbling time, so the only reliable way of getting the same amount of propellant is by weight.
The volume thing is of the past and was due to all the frontstuffers and the impracticallity of toting a weight along in the wildernes.
And if volume was the way then why are none of the BP cartridges named after volume instead of weight???

Beekeeper
06-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Thank you Mr. McDowel , and Chicken Thief, for the info provided.As I have stated in a couple of past posts I am a knock kneed , pigeon toed , snaggle toothed , knuckle dragging newbe to black powder.
I have read all of the books I can find and as always they assume that you are a competent BP shooter on their level and all info is above my head.
I asked about the diferences between FG and FFG because FFG is what I have. Why do I have FFG , because that is what one of the elite Sharps shooters at the range where I go told me to buy ( before he found out I didn't shoot a sharps).
Now I have FFG and everyone says use FG, well for me it isn't that simple as I do not have a Mom and Pop gun shop that sell BP anywhere near me as they do in Montana , or Idaho. and must use what I have.
I bought 10 lbs. of FFG as it was the only way I could justify the haz mat. At my present rate of shooting ( about 50 rounds a month) I have many months of FFG left.
I want to do it right but run up against the "American rifle " barrier every time I go to the Range so thank you for what info you provided and I will not bother you again.

Respectfully sent,

beekeeper

Don McDowell
06-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Beekeeper I don't know the jerkoff you keep referring to as "elite sharpsshooter" but keeping up with that reference here doesn't do alot to promote good relationships. I have 4 sharps in my gunsafe....
Yes 2f will work fine in your Mauser. The problem most likely comes from A. your using a bullet entirely to small for the barrel, and B from using a powder charge that is probably about 10 grs light.
Bp needs to operate at maximum pressures to produce the least amount of fouling, which usually but not always goes right with accuracy and velocity.
And yes I live in Wyoming, there are no blackpowder dealers that I'm aware of within 100 miles of my home. Jerry at Powder Inc, and Grafs have been supplying me with powder for many years.Matter of fact the only blackpowder dealer in the state that I'm aware of is about 400 miles, one way from here, and he's not a store front full time type...

SharpsShooter
06-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Beekeeper,

FFg will work. Use a proper lube, weigh those charges, a well fitted bullet and you will be just fine. In short use what you have and adjust it to your rifles needs.

SS

bigted
06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
beekeeper...ill jump in here as a fair novice as well. i guess i didnt read where the foul statement came from but i as well would stand with you against whoever wants to keep the 'sharps' only weirdness going. i also have a sharps..2 to be exact...3 hiwalls...1 ruger...2 marlin levers...a 458 mag,,,375 h&h,,,44 mag,,,357 mag,,,45 colt,,,444 marlin...and i shoot blackpowder in them all at times. i glean info when i need it and try to brush off the rude comments that crop up from time to time...funny thing is that from the rudest folks here i have gleaned the best info from...just needed to adjust my anger/embarrasment level down a notch or two is all.

whatever you shoot i can advise you that there will be help along the way and all that is required is to ask and read all the answers maybe two or three times as i do so i can glean the goodies outta it.

and a hearty welcome to the dark side...ive tryed to remove myself from it several times when the biggest developement hardships presented and danged if i didnt come runnin back to this most addictive shooting experience i have ever been associated with. my firearms are growing with blackpowder era type guns and the goodies to make em work are always coming in the mail and my wallet is constantly straind from such...moulds...powder...lead...paper...books...ar ticles from mag's...lead heaters...ect ect ect. have fun with all this...its a hoot n a half!!!

hiram
06-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Beekeeper--

Given that the granulation size of 1F, 2F, and 3F powders are all different.

If you were to weigh for example, 70 grains of each and pour the 3 samples into 3 different vessels, say a 45-70 case, they would fill the cases to different levels. The coarser granulation takes up the most room and the finest granulation takes up the least room. The amount of powder in the cases is the same weight wise.

Sample 2--If you fill each case to the top with the 3 separate powders, the finest granulation would weigh the most because the powder would settle closer together and fill the case more completely. The coarsest powder would weigh the least because being coarser, there would be more air space between the powder kernels.