PDA

View Full Version : Smelting

MrXrings
06-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Would a coleman dual burner propane stove put out enough BTU's to use for smelting bullets 25lbs at a time? Would like to use it for camping too. The turkey fryers put out much more heat but do you really need it?

shadowcaster
06-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes the coleman stove will put out enough btu's for small batches. IMHO, do NOT use it for both smelting and camping. Keep everything separate that you would use for food prep from anything used for smelting. Lead poisoning comes from ingestion. Buy the coleman for camping, and spend the money for a turkey fryer for the smelting. Don't be too concerned about too many btu's with the fryer as you can turn down the flame for smaller batches. Plus you have the advantage of getting a bigger pot later for larger smelting projects. You won't be disappointed. :)

Shad

Wayne Smith
06-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes, it will. I used my Dad's old one for years, and am now using a Coleman single burner - one of the new, broad based ones. DO NOT try for dual use. You will get so much lead splatter/drips on the stove that you won't want to use it for cooking. Either get the turkey fryer or dedicate one stove for the lead. I got mine last year on sale for about $30 at a local sports store. Not expensive.

MrXrings
06-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Bacon eggs and lead doesn't sound very good. I'll go for a single purpose unit. Thanks for the insight.

runfiverun
06-09-2012, 11:28 PM
keep the food in the pan, don't wipe it all over your stove before eating it.

Mal Paso
06-10-2012, 02:07 PM
keep the food in the pan, don't wipe it all over your stove before eating it.

Good Tip! I'll try that next time!

Longwood
06-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I use one.

Since about 74.

I simply peel the lead spills off before cooking with it.