PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting post angle on Lyman No. 1

mofugly13
06-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know how to adjust the post angle on a Lyman No. 1 tang sight. My Savage 1899 that was my grandpa's has this sight, and when flipped to the up position, it is angled to the rear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mofugly13/Firearms/photobucket-20612-1339260000281.jpg

I think I may need to use a spanner screwdriver to loosen the pivot screw, set the sight vertical, then tighten down the screw again. I don't want to mess with it without some direction, because it seems these sights are somewhat rare. The pivot screw has a spanner head, with two tiny holes .250 apart. Is there a special spanner screwdriver for these, I imagine there is, but is it even available anymore?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mofugly13/Firearms/photobucket-20554-1339260002014.jpg

waksupi
06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I sure won't guarantee this as the right answer, but try taking the base off, and turning it around.

kywoodwrkr
06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Friend at school has an 1895 on which the tang sight sat at that angle.
We wire EDMed a new base and then drilled the correct holes, relocating the hole in which the detent ball plopped.
Milled the bottom out to match the contour of the back tang.
He has been using the prototype we worked up and the for real one, half finished, is still in my box of milling 'to-its' as I type.
Were it mine, I'd investigate to see how far a new detent hole would be from the original and if enough space, just redrill that hole.
He wanted a 'new' base.??

mofugly13
06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Was this a Lyman sight? I don't think there's a detent in the base of my Lyman No. 1. I think it has something to do with theflat metal pieces that are sandwiched between the spanner screw head and the sight base. DOes anyone know where I could find a spanner screwdriver that would fit the screw head? The holes are on .250 centers.

fourarmed
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Get a slotted screwdriver with a wide enough blade, and reshape it with a Dremel.

gnoahhh
06-13-2012, 06:14 PM
I never had cause to take one apart. I have been advised though to do it very carefully- there are small parts inside that can easily disappear. Looking at one on my desk in front of me, I notice that the spanner holes on yours are oriented differently than mine. The top hole on mine is oriented to 1:00 o'clock in relation to the sight stem, whereas yours is oriented toward 11:00 o'clock, if that makes any sense. I suspect you are on the right track by taking it apart and re-orienting that head with the spanner holes in it.

(I would do as others suggested and make a spanner out of an old screwdriver. Might take a couple attempts before you get it right. Then, I think the way to go is to hold it firm with the 'spanner' and put a wrench on the nut on the far side and loosen that. Loosening everything sufficiently to re-orient the cap with the spanner holes, and then re-tightening, may prevent having to take it completely apart. I don't know for sure, that's just what I would try first. I was waiting to see if someone piped up who had actually done it before I piped up!) I'm also told that getting the ball and spring detent back in can be problematic- another reason to avoid total disassembly, or again, so I'm told.

mofugly13
06-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys. I think that's what I'll do. Reshape a screwdriver, and then loosen it just enough to see if I can adjust it without losing any parts. I sent an inquiry to Lyman, and they didn't have any info either. Hard to believe there's not an exploded diagram out there, somewhere!

There must be, I just haven't found it yet.