PDA

View Full Version : Got the daughters 2011 mount back....

41mag
06-09-2012, 09:32 AM
We picked up the daughter's 2011 buck from the taxidermist yesterday. He did a wonderful job on it and I think she will be proud of him.

This buck has a bit of history with both of us. Year before last I had him dead to rights at 30yds with my bow and cleanly shot right under him. I clearly remember putting the proper pin on him for the shot, then verifying it by double checking it twice to be sure. I do not however remember ever looking through my peep. LOL

So we had gotten several game cam pics of him with this probably being the best one, once again 20yds from my bow stand, unfortunately for me, two days before I was there,
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Game%20Cam%20Shots/FarmBuck.jpg

He had a ton of character, a bullet had grazed his antler under the right side of the main beam, and he had almost ducked an arrow previous to her getting him the Friday after last Thanksgiving. He had a 6" or so healing gash across the top of his back just behind his shoulders. It would have been a perfect shot had he not ducked or had it been a foot lower.

So anyway here he is from the woods above, to tailgate, and on to wall mount,

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%202011/Photo-0152.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%202011/P6090050.jpg
We had a tape on him yesterday, and after the time since Nov, until now, he scored 137 2/8". He would have broken 140 easily had he not broken off a portion of his right side, but still in all not a bad buck for our little 100 or so acre place.

There are a few more pics of him here in the album if your interested,
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%202011/
feel free to browse around while your there she has a few other pretty decent ones in the other albums as well.

I would have loved to have had the oldest grandson get him, but that's hunting. He had gone with me to a friends place to get in on some hogs. The daughter hunted our place that morning, and after getting out at 05:30, and sitting until 10:53 when she made the shot. She doesn't hunt from a stand but simply picks a spot out in the pasture or along one of the tree lines and gets comfortable. I am pretty proud of her and her hunting, she usually picks out one and stays on it, and passes on a lot of deer to get that particular one she is after.

So anyway just a little braggin of sorts... hope you enjoy.

Echo
06-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Good story, and worth the brag!

midnight
06-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Great deer and daughter. I thought I was the only one who forgot to look through the peep. At least I have some company.

Bob

x101airborne
06-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Great mount. That is a really nice deer and a really nice story.

41 mag fan
06-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Carma there... which could you be more proud of, you bagging him or your daughter?

really a nice buck though

41mag
06-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Carma there... which could you be more proud of, you bagging him or your daughter?

really a nice buck though

To be honest, the oldest grandson getting it would have been best, but he has plenty of time ahead to work on a better one. Sure would have been great to hear him rubbing it in on his mom though. i

Now that said, I would have LOVED to have gotten him with my bow, that would have been a total rush. It would have also been fun to have picked at the daughter over it , as we have an ongoing sort of competition on just who really is the better hunter.

I got to let her have one every now and again, or she would quit playing. LOL

That said, I don't seriously hunt the family place much except for the hogs and possibly a doe with the bow. I leave all the horns for the girl and the grandson(s) to look over. I just keep feeding them year round so they have something to look over. My mom lives on the place, and told me Thursday she had a doe have her fawn there in the back yard. This is about 10yrs running we have had them either in the yard or in a thick area just outside the yard fence. So I guess we're doing something right.

MT Gianni
06-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Those memories will stick around for a long time.

jlm223
06-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Nice buck, funny how things work out sometimes.