PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic media?

mongo
06-09-2012, 12:40 AM
My neighbor stopped by while I was trying to get my old Midway tumbler started. I have to spin the motor a few times to get it to run. He says he has an old tumbler he got years ago and he would drop it at my house later. Nice kid, he always has some tin rods or lead for me. I always give him some of my boolits. The tumbler showed up in my driveway, Well, it' huge. Looks to hold at least 5 gal of media. Inside was full of what look like rabbit pellet food and blue and pink diamond shaped ceramic media. I have always used walnut and corn, I have read where folks use stainless media and soap, Im guessing I could use soap and water with this stuff or should I just get some more walnut. The tumbler looks like the Midway one just about 7-8 times the size lol.. Tommy

Matt3357
06-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Sounds like the parts tumbler we use at work to deburr small machined parts. From what I know, they are expensive and loud. You should be able to do loads of brass at a time. If you do go walnut, buy the big bags from Grainger. It'll prolly be much much cheaper to fill that bohemouth.

Matt

longranger
06-09-2012, 02:50 PM
If it were mine I would spend the money on enough S.S. media Dawn soap and a dash of Lemi Shine, you will wonder why you used anything else.Ceramic media is great for big fat straight walled cases, you'll have big trouble with bottleneck cartridges and ceramic media.Dry media will take a long time in a tumbler,longer than a vibratory.
S.S. allows for virtually any cartridge and cleans primer pockets better than anything.

runfiverun
06-09-2012, 06:04 PM
ceramic media was the stainless media of its time.
put some cases and some water in it and give it a shot.
the media might be a bit large.

docone31
06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
I run some ceramics with my stainless shot mix. I find, I can go longer between water flushes.
The ceramics help keep the oxides from being hammered into the shot.
Without the ceramic beads, my finished metals got an oxide finish.

mongo
06-09-2012, 10:10 PM
They are a bit on the large size. I'll toss a bunch of .45 cases in and some water and dishwashing soap and see what happens.. Ill look for some stainless media, Im guessin it will be a little on the expensive side. Thanks for the info...Tommy

runfiverun
06-09-2012, 11:33 PM
shouldn't have to look too hard, they are a sight sponsor.