PDA

View Full Version : 300 Savage....Update

dk17hmr
04-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Couldnt sleep because I got it in my head to start working on my "new" Remington 722 tonight, once I get rolling on something it stays going until I cant do anymore, I am to that point. The stock is hanging with 2 coats of Tru-oil drying, the action/barrel are reblued, cleaned, and oiled nicely, new globe front sight is on. Nothing to do now but wait to buff the stock in the morning and then more coats of Tru-oil.

Once I got through the finish that was on the stock I was holding a very nice chunk of walnut. The only problem is that the stock was cut down, I have the chunk that was cut off but I opted not to try and glue it back togther because the cut off peice has alot of tear out from the saw cut. BUT the peice is only about 1.75", I am thinkin I can find a recoil pad about that deep and grind it to fit the stock.

Anyone have any suggestions on the recoil pad, about its only function is to lengthen the stock, shooting cast loads the 300 doesnt kick very much anyways.

stocker
04-22-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd grind back the torn edges on the pieces (butt and cut-off) with a large sanding disc on a steel back plate until the tear out is cleared away and then dowel and glue it back together with a pad added.. You should be able to reclaim a substantial amount of the wood unless it was shortened with a chain saw and is really bad. I don't know of a 1 and 3/4" pad but there may be one available somewhere. I think it will look rather foolish however. Alternately you can get plastic extension pieces and laminate them to where you can mount a conventional thickness of pad. Still won't look as good as properly fitted wood.

Scrounger
04-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Tip for cutting stocks: Wrap several layers of masking tape around the wood in the cut area and using a fine-toothed saw, cut through the taped part.

Bret4207
05-07-2007, 08:03 AM
I wonder if a biscuit joiner would work in lieu of dowels? Save a lot of headaches at least.

stocker
05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Tpr. Bret: I imagine biscuits would work but I foresee as many problems getting them lined up perfectly as I do by pre-drilling for dowels. A tip for dowels that makes life simpler. Drill the holes oversize and set the dowels in place with glass bedding compound. That allows you to wiggle things around in the event your hole angles or centers aren't exact on the two mating pieces. Once in correct alignment clamp it up and let it set. Or, you can use very short pieces of brad to act as aligners and prevent movement for the initial glue up and drill and glue your dowels afterwards. Either the dowels or biscuits are intended to improve shear strength in case of heavy impact although good glues impart a very strong bond on their own.