PDA

View Full Version : Ready to jump, just one last question.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Okay I am almost ready to take the plunge and get into this whole swaging thing. I just have one final new guy question. How do you make the actual lead core for 22cal projectiles? I see swaging dies come with a sizer die for squeezing the lead down to the proper size, but how are the cores made in the first place? I have read references to making cores out of lead wire, do you all typically have to buy the lead wire, or is this somehow made? I have also read about casting lead cores with a mold, this sounds more up my alley, but where does one get a lead core mold?

BT Sniper
06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I plan to offer a core mold for exactly this purpose. Without a mold one is left to buy lead wire and cut cores to length then swage to desired weight.

I think I will offer two different molds, one adjustable and one that isn't. Make it an 11 cavitiy mold for quick production rates.

Take the plunge you will have a lot of fun, just ask any of us :)

Good shooting

BT

2ndAmendmentNut
06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply BT Sniper, I have been meaning to send you a PM. It’s your threads and pretty pictures that are to blame.

plus1hdcp
06-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I am sure others will add but I have read and discussed with BT Sniper who is working on an adjustable core mold. This too will be what I am looking for. I have seen where others are milling aluminum molds to a predetermined depth. As for extruded wire, it is pricey and I do not have a press which would not be up to the task.

Good luck to you.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-08-2012, 10:52 PM
PM sent to BT Sniper.

alfloyd
06-08-2012, 11:48 PM
I offer a lead wire extrusion die that works on a reloading press (aka Rock Chucker).
I takes a SOFT lead boolit up to 44 cal and extrudes it into 0.185 inch dia lead wire.
Duke in Maine got the first one that I made, and I have made more for other members.
It is not a fast way to make lead wire, but it does work.

Check out my thread here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=153564

I also sell lead wire for $2.00 per pound plus shipping.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Lafaun