PDA

View Full Version : canning deer,fish,etc??

legend
06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
anyone care to share thier recipes for canning deer? how about fish?

zxcvbob
06-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I've canned beef before; deer wouldn't be any different. Do you have a pressure canner? That's the only way to do it safely. I've never canned fish -- I think the long processing time will turn it to mush.

oneokie
06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Ball Blue Book.

Or, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=nchfp+canning&gbv=2&oq=ncfhfp&aq=1s&aqi=g-s2&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i10l2.1734.4437.0.8687.6.6.0.0.0.0.54 7.2001.4-1j3.4.0...0.0.ODuuxtyBSkM

MT Gianni
06-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Fish is still good if brined and processed by the bell blue book. The only other reliable source is "Putting Food By".

Mooseman
06-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Follow the canning instructions carefully as canned fish and meats must be done at the right pressure for the right length of time or you can get Botulism poisoning.
I can smoked salmon in 1 pound cans at 15 pounds pressure for 90 minutes.
Larger mason jars of regular or smoked fish gets 115 minutes at 15 pounds.
Many university's have extension programs and literature online for canning all foods...

Rich

Jailer
06-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Quart jars packed tightly with the lids on and rings just barely run down to seal. Place in the oven at 200deg for 4 hours. Remove and snug the rings down tight.

I've canned venison this way for years and never had a problem.

garbear
06-09-2012, 12:15 AM
We can venison and beef. The pressure canner is great. Follow the drections from the pressure canner or contact your extension office.

We brown the cubed meat. Put in onions and meat in the jars. We add beef broth and pressure can according to the directions from our canner.

Garbear

nanuk
06-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Garbear

now that sounds tastey

I bought a pressure canner, good sized All-American I think the brand name was....

I'm thinking I want to get into canning

SciFiJim
06-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Mmm. Canned fish. When I was growing up, I had a next door neighbor in SW Louisiana that would can Gar fish a couple of times a year. They would also have a fish fry at the same time. They were always impressed at how much fish a seven year old could eat. Those were GOOD times.

waksupi
06-09-2012, 01:04 AM
I used to can a lot of salmon. I would smoke them until they were nearly kippered, then can with no extra liquid. It was like eating candy.

Jailer, that method has been put down as not being sufficient to kill all the bad stuff in the meat. Temperature is not high enough. You may be getting by with it, but it is liable to catch up with you some day. Do a search on it.

square butte
06-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Bet that was back in the days that the Kokanee used to run up the Flathead.

Lloyd Smale
06-09-2012, 07:00 AM
to a quart jar i add one beef bullion cube a tsp salt, fill the jar half way with venison, add a slice of onion, fill the jar with meat to the top at another slice of onion and a half a spoon of crushed garlic. For a pint i do the same but only use a half a tsp salt, half a bullion cube, half a tsp of garlic and one slice of onion. Seal and put in your pressure canner. Bring the pressure up to 12 lbs and cook for 60 minutes for pints and 75 minutes for quarts, allow the canner to blead off its pressure slowly and enjoy. You can also add mushrooms or peppers to it. I allways do some each year with peppers and a little chilli pepper. It makes a quick meal. stick the jar in the microwave warm it up and put it on a soft taco shell. Fish can be done the same way. I leave out the spices though as it overpowers the flavor. Just add a tsb of salt and cook. My buddys brother does salom like waksupi, he smokes it first for a couple hours to dry it out and get the smoke flavor in it and cans it. Oven canning and water bath canning is good enough for veggys and fruit but i wouldnt do meat or fish like that.

legend
06-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Thank you all. i just canned 7 half pints of trout i caught through the ice,and 5 pints. very simple to do,i was surprised you do not add liquid,yet, when all done the jars had half liquid in them.trout must have a bunch of liquid in it.

i found a woman in alaska who cans salmon this way; 1/2 tsp salt,1/2 tsp vinegar,pack trout in leaving 1/2 inch headspace,put a tbs catsup on top then lids and rings
process at 10lbs for 90 minutes, it is yummy as any store bought salmon i have tried.

look out deer and antelope.....

06-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Ball Blue book -- an almost must!

sturgeonhunter
06-10-2012, 07:52 PM
try catalina salad dressing instead of catsup it's great

sturgeonhunter
06-10-2012, 07:53 PM
canner of fish going right now. also like salt ,pepper and liquid smoke mmmmmmmmmm

WILCO
06-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Informative video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW4Kt5LafGQ

StratsMan
06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
If any men out there have a phobia about canning 'cuz it's too close to "cooking", I say they need to think of it differently... It's just like reloading, only it's edible!!!

I fired up the hot water cooker and canned some salsa this weekend... thoroughly enjoyed it... next day I cast about 1,000 boolits... I had a GREAT weekend....

Longwood
06-11-2012, 05:13 PM
It may not be canning,,,,
I just had two off the eggs I pickled last week.
YUM!

We canned tuna (outside) one year.
Best ever.
We still had some three years later.

Prag
06-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I can a good bit, and Heck, I grow a garden as well. I gotta eat! :shock:

I just pressure canned 17 pints of meat (pork loins, turkey, and venison) last week.

I wholeheartedly agree that the Ball Blue Book is a MustHave.

I have an All American 930. It's a big sucker, but will handle 17 pints at one time.

Canning is pretty simple and straight forward, you just have to pay meticulous attention to details...much akin to reloading my friends.

I live at just a bit above 1000 ft, so I pressure can meats at 15 psi for 75 minutes. It's the preparation that takes the longest.
I still have a venison hindquarter and some pork loins prepped to can my next day(s) off.
I don't add any, or if I do, only minimal seasoning. The pressure canning process really enhances the taste and strength of most seasonings.

That said, I do make or pressure can hot wings...they, my friends, are a bit spicy.

imho, the only truly safe method to can meats, and a huge majority of vegetables is via pressure canning. Botulism contamination is not something to risk.

Our cucumbers will be ready for picking within 7-10 days, and my Darling Bride of 23 years and I will be making, and waterbath canning, some darned tasty Kosher Dill and crispy limed Bread & Butter pickles.
Pickled okra and pickled green tomatoes will be next month.

Taking care of your family, providing for their security and well being, is a Man's job, and responsibility.

While I want to be able to "Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth", I want to be able to feed my family too.

oneokie
06-11-2012, 05:21 PM
The pressure canning process really enhances the taste and strength of most seasonings.

Our cucumbers will be ready for picking within 7-10 days, and my Darling Bride of 23 years and I will be making, and waterbath canning, some darned tasty Kosher Dill and crispy limed Bread & Butter pickles.
Pickled okra and pickled green tomatoes will be next month.

Or change them for the worse. Sage comes to mind.

<--Sick and tired of looking at squash, cucumbers, and green beans. Tomatoes and peas should be ready in the next 10 days here.

waksupi
06-11-2012, 05:23 PM
If any men out there have a phobia about canning 'cuz it's too close to "cooking", I say they need to think of it differently... It's just like reloading, only it's edible!!!

I fired up the hot water cooker and canned some salsa this weekend... thoroughly enjoyed it... next day I cast about 1,000 boolits... I had a GREAT weekend....

Well, don't just stand there, share your salsa recipe!

Longwood
06-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I can make the best beef or game stew you ever tasted, in about an hour, on a campfire, if I use canned meat.

Prag
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Or change them for the worse. Sage comes to mind.

<--Sick and tired of looking at squash, cucumbers, and green beans. Tomatoes and peas should be ready in the next 10 days here.

Absolutely! Sage is a real challenge. Many seasoning are.

No problem adding the flavor enhancers when the meal is preparing though.

Congrats on the garden. Sounds like it's doing well! :smile:

zxcvbob
06-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Well, don't just stand there, share your salsa recipe!

Chile Salsa
(from USDA bulletin 539) yield: 6 to 8 pints

5 pounds tomatoes
2 pounds chile peppers
1 pound onions, chopped
1 cup vinegar (5%)
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Roast and peel peppers if they have tough skins; remove seeds and stems, chop. Scald and peel tomatoes; chop. Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle into pint jars, leave 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Notes:
Jalapeņo and serrano peppers only need to be stemmed and chopped.
I like to substitute bottled lemon juice for half of the vinegar. The combination tastes better than vinegar or lemon juice alone.
If the tomatoes are overly juicy, add a small can of tomato sauce.

Longwood
06-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Chile Salsa
(from USDA bulletin 539) yield: 6 to 8 pints

5 pounds tomatoes
2 pounds chile peppers
1 pound onions, chopped
1 cup vinegar (5%)
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Roast and peel peppers if they have tough skins; remove seeds and stems, chop. Scald and peel tomatoes; chop. Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle into pint jars, leave 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Notes:
Jalapeņo and serrano peppers only need to be stemmed and chopped.
I like to substitute bottled lemon juice for half of the vinegar. The combination tastes better than vinegar or lemon juice alone.
If the tomatoes are overly juicy, add a small can of tomato sauce.

Stir in fresh chopped cilantro and good sized chunks of Avocado before serving.:bigsmyl2:

legend
06-11-2012, 08:08 PM
oh SURE, you guys have me ready to can everything now..........

waksupi
06-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Just a tip. This is a good time of year to be checking yard sales for canning jars.

Silver Eagle
06-14-2012, 11:15 PM
For water bath canning look for prepared food jars that fit mason jar lids and rings. A lot of pasta sauce jars work. These are readily usable in canning.
My Dad has canned just about anything for years. He also uses the recycled jars for pressure canning. Be careful if you use them for this. I am pretty sure they go through about the same amount of stress at the factory. He has had a couple jars break in the water bath or canner. Mostly they were jars that had issues before they went in that were not found during cleaning.
Double check the water in the pressure canning before closing the canner! If the canner runs out of water, the safety valve will blow and all the jars will crack! Dad verified this one time, it was not pretty.
For mixed ingredient items, the item with the longest cooking time is how long it needs to be processed.
If you do not have one, definitely get the Ball Blue book it is as valuable to canning as a reloading book is to reloading. The preperation of the jars and food is the key to safety.
Check all jars before you open them. If it has a popped lid,smells wrong, or looks off toss it!

Silver Eagle

Muddy Creek Sam
06-15-2012, 12:00 AM
My Mom and Dad used to put up Chickens in 1/2 Gallon Ball Jars, Dad converted a canning Pot to Vacuum Pack Them, Then they would freeze them, Lasted Years and always Tasted Fresh, No Freezer Burn.

Sam :D