PDA

View Full Version : RCBS X-Dies

cabezaverde
04-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Picked up one in 223 today at a show. Any experiences to share?

Do they work as advertised?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Seem to so far, but my testing isn't extensive. Perhaps we should both post after we've had them a while.

Regards,

Dave

Patrick L
04-21-2007, 11:10 PM
I've been using two of them, a .223 and a small base .30-06 for about three years now. I use them for my Highpower loads, since I load large batches and trimming got to be a real chore. I would say I 've done maybe three or four loadings of each caliber (reloaded the same brass three or four times.) So far so good, even in my tight chambered M1 Garand.

MT Gianni
04-21-2007, 11:33 PM
30-30 which is notorious for case stretch. 3 firings with no trimming needed yet. Gianni.

BruceB
04-22-2007, 12:26 AM
It pays to use the "Search" function.

Type in "X-die" as the key word, and in a thread called "M1A Arrived Today", our friend Larry Gibson has a VERY long and detailed analysis of his results with the x-die. It's down toward the bottom of the first page of posts on that M1A thread.

I suggested then that his post should become a 'sticky', and I'd re-suggest it now. VERY valuable research and information!

cabezaverde
04-22-2007, 04:34 PM
So do you x-die users follow the instructions to the letter of the law and screw the die all the way down? Or do you set the die for your chamber?

The instructions say to screw the die all the way down, plus some. Doesn't this set the shoulder back?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Since the X-die has two adjustments, I think I'd adjust it to your chamber, then use the adjustment knob to "bring it in." Of course, how you go about this is relative to the chamber and your experience setting up dies. I started with the standard adjustment and adjusted from there.

Regards,

Dave

cabezaverde
04-23-2007, 07:49 PM
If I am reading the instructions correctly, you set the die and it works for all lots of cases that started out trimmed to the same length. Correct?

Throckmorton
04-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I just got one to try,and the direcitons say to trim all cases to .020 below minimum,IIRC. did you all do that when you got yours?I'm thinking that since I'm shooting cast,and must crimp on the groove..or want to anyway..that willr eally back the bullet away from the leade.
It's 30-30.

Johnch
04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Well I have used a X die on once fired 223 brass that I get free from the police , that they fired thru AR's
It works great
If you run these a standard sizing die , they need trimed

I normaly check the cases after X sizing , more to find messed up cases , but I do check them for OAL
Last batch of 5000+ I did , I found 4 or 5 that were to long
Rather than trimming , I just pitched them

Johnch

Larry Gibson
04-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I use several X-dies and, as mentioned, done a lengthy test of them. I set them up in different ways. If in doubt follow the directions, they work.

If I am using the die for multiple rifles that I already have (and don't expect to get another in that caliber) I set the die to the chamber with the smallest headspace. Then all loaded ammo is compatable with all chambers of the rifles I have. This includes bolt, lever and gas guns. Oops, my Contenders too!

If I am loading generic ammo for use in any rifle I set the die so the shell holder firmly butts against the bottom. I've not found any rifle that would not chamber such sized cases with the regular X-die so I don't use the SB ones.

As to the initial trimming; I'll only do it if there is a gross disparity in the OAL of the cases and then I trim only to uniform the OAL. I very seldem trim back to the "trim to" AOLs in manuals. After the die body is adjusted I take 5 cases and size them with the mandrel backed out a little. If they are fired cases they will stretch on this sizing. I take the one with the longest OAL and If it's neck length does not exceed the neck length of the chamber(s) of the rifle(s) I'm loading for then I put it back into the shell holder and run it all the way up into the die. I then turn the mandrel down until its should is topped by the case mouth. I turn it in as hard as I can with my fingers then tighten the lock nut. The die is now set and the cases will stretch no more than that one case. I've not found any once fired cases (range pick up or bought) that required trimming before sizing with the die set as such. For generic ammo the AOL of the case should not exceed maximum case AOLs listed for that cartridge.

Sounds a lot harder than it really is. For the .223 X-Die as per this thread I set it to bottom on the shell holder when I first got it as my Savage Competion has very minimal headspace. Thus any ammo loaded wih it chambers fine in all my .223 rifles including my ARs. I've not lost a case to head seperation or trimmed a case since using the X-Die.

Larry Gibson.