PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Clean up

DCP
06-08-2012, 09:01 AM
I just found a older Craftsman NIB 6" 4 jaw chuck. I t does have some light staining on it.

I have a blasting cabinet that I am learning how to use.

I have
wallnut
Black Diamond 40-80 grit and 20-40 grit

What do you genttleman use to blast

Thanks

yovinny
06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Staining and even a light rust wont hurt a thing, while blasting it and abrading the surface will only cause it to rust quicker, besides require a complete disassembly.
Just use a scuff pad or some steel wool and oil to clean it up and call it good, USING it will keep it oiled and in good shape.
If you'r wanting to polish and lacquer it, so it can be put on display behind glass and not used for work, disregard anything I said.

Char-Gar
06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I would not blast the chuck. Oil and steel wood will do everything you need to be done.

Frank46
06-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Never grit blast a lathe chuck. First off you'll never get it all off and second will act as a lapping compound on the scrolls and chuck jaws. Disassemble and clean with kerosene,blow out with compressed air and lightly grease scrollwork prior to reassembly. Your lathechuck will thank you by lasting longer. Stains if you want can be removed using steel wool and oil. Frank

akajun
06-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Do not blast, as stated before only penetrating oil and steel wool. If its really dirty and ultrasonic cleaning or electrlytic bath followed by a bathing in wd 40.

Goatwhiskers
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
What Frank said, you'll thank yourself. GW

Tokarev
06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I'd just put it apart and wipe all rust with mineral oil and paper towels.
Try not to leave rust in the scrolls and slots, as rust is also very hard and abrasive substance.