PDA

View Full Version : Who pumps?

WILCO
06-07-2012, 11:59 PM
I've noticed quite frequently that when a woman is pumping gas, there's usually some guy sitting in the vehicle like a slug. I see this as a trend towards more social ignorance on the part of men. I always pump gas when I'm in the company of a woman, as it's basic chivalry and gentleman etiquett in my opinion.

What's your take on this??

JesterGrin_1
06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
In today's Society that is a Hard question. Or to say it depends Highly on the Woman and there Equality feelings. Heck I got yelled at once for opening a Door for a Woman carrying bags lol. But then again that was in New York lol. Silly South TEXAS Country Boy me lol.

But I do agree that a Guy should do such things. As it is Okay for a Guy to smell like Gas as to us it is more of a perfume but not for a Lady. :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-08-2012, 12:12 AM
I am looking for a different option to the poll.
C. who's car is it ? that's who should Pump Gas in it!

Driver (whichever male or female) pumps the gas.

>>>> of course I'm still single.

crazy mark
06-08-2012, 12:22 AM
we are too stupid in Oregon to pump our own gas.

WILCO
06-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Don't forget to vote in the poll. :p

Brotherbadger
06-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Driver (whichever male or female) pumps the gas.

This. I was raised to open doors and the like(which i still do, as it's something i don't even think about anymore), but pumping gas just doesn't seem like a big deal, especially if she's driving. Now, if I'm driving, i pump the gas. Just seems whoever is at the wheel is in charge of the gas.

it's basic chivalry

Depending on the country you are in, what we consider chivalry, others view as cowardice. A great example of this is in medieval Germany, where you NEVER let a woman enter a building before you(if you are a gentleman), as only a coward would allow a woman to enter a building without knowing what dangers lurk inside.

Just a little tidbit i wanted to share, but really didn't contribute to the conversation. ;)

waksupi
06-08-2012, 01:13 AM
I don't care if they pump gas. They can get home to split wood and mow the yard, then.

JeffinNZ
06-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Petrol has gotten so expensive here nobody pumps anymore. We all walk.

SciFiJim
06-08-2012, 01:29 AM
I always pump the gas. So much so that it seems strange and uncomfortable when I am in Oregon and someone else does it. Even more so if that someone is female. It also seems strange to not be allowed to in Oregon. Is it a jobs program or something?

Adam10mm
06-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Whosever vehicle it is pumps the gas. Women want equality? Get off your *** and fill your tank. You wanted women's rights? Open your own door, pump your own gas, do your own laundry. Just because you have a patch of hair the shape of a triangle doesn't give you any special treatment or treatment over a man.

Big difference between chivalry and being complacent that the man will do everything for "oh poor frail me, the woman that I am" garbage.

Wal'
06-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Down here there's no choice, everyone pumps their own gas, usually If the womens pumping it's her car & the passenger is along for the ride.

Strange question this day & age. :| :-|

Stephen Cohen
06-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Im with Wilco on this one, but like JesterGrin 1, I to was abused by a woman for opening a bank door for her the filthy language she used I cant repeat her, I had last laugh though I just said my deapest appologies I mistook you for a lady and left.

Bret4207
06-08-2012, 05:52 AM
I pump the gas, open he door, help her with her coat, say my pleases and thank yous. It's common courtesy and manners.

square butte
06-08-2012, 05:57 AM
I was raised in Texas - I've got no other choice but to pump the gas. Actually I like it as it is kind of old school.

Prag
06-08-2012, 06:05 AM
I reckon I'm a neanderthal, and I'm proud to be one!

I will open the door, I will tip my hat, I will say "Yes Mam" and "No Mam", I will not tolerate a man abusing a woman, Nor anyone abusing a child or an Elder.

I will do the things I was raised to do and will not apologize for it.

Yep, I reckon I'm a neanderthal.

bob208
06-08-2012, 06:08 AM
well i got used to pumping gas. i worked in a gas station when in high school. had to pump the gas. check the oil and wash the windows.
i even do it when they have some one there to do it. don't need gas run down ovwe the car or bike.

i too was bitched at for openining the door for women in the 70's

dsmjon
06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
I pump gas, and I open/hold doors. To the few "females" that take issue with me opening a follow for them, I also have no problem of slamming the door on their heels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

garym1a2
06-08-2012, 08:15 AM
I normally pump and also have to pay for the gas even if its not my car.

375RUGER
06-08-2012, 08:39 AM
You fellas let your women have a car? and drive?

btroj
06-08-2012, 08:40 AM
I tend to pump the gas but that's because I am usually driving.
My wife pumps gas quite frequently as I am not usually with herin the vehicle.
I do hold doors for her but then again, I hold doors for anyone.
I don't feel that a guy sitting in a car while she pumps gas is a slug. I don't know the relationship dynamics so I stay the heck out of it.

My wife does many things around the house that her maternal grandmother would have deemed in-ladylike. Times have changed but I still consider my wife a lady.

jcwit
06-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I always pump the gas, and my wife owns all our vehicles, I own none of them. I also hold the door for women and old folks even tho I walk with a cane, and I help ladies with their coat, or outer garment whatever it may be. BTW, My wife is a lady!

My attitude toward my wife makes life much, much better and comfortable.

41 mag fan
06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Man, I really liked #2 on the poll. I'd of voted that way, but if my wife seen it........I shudder to think of it.

I tried that 10 yrs ago, I let her drive, we were in town needed gas. I got out, to throw some trash away, she was done filling up, and she looked at me with a questioning look on her face.

I looked at her, and I'll remember this forever as I got a daily memory jog from it, I said well? What are you waiting on?? Get in there, pay for the gas, and I smacked her on the left butt cheek, I told her grab me a cold 12 pack and some chips.

Well...that was 10 yrs ago, I now have to special order my right shoe with a 2' tall heel. She kicked me in the right butt cheek so hard, my right cheek is where my shoulder is.
I go and get stretched every month. they've tried 3 skin grafs over the years, to hide the shoe imprint on my right cheek, but it keeps coming back!!

I look and walk like the hunch back of Notre Dame, but I don't have a hump on my back, thats just my right butt cheek sticking out!!
Now if i get out of line, she puts me back in my place, all she has to do is tell me, cool it, or I'll kick that left cheek so hard, you'll look normal because both cheeks will be even. :bigsmyl2::kidding:

Now in all seriousness, I let my wife drive, but I pump gas. She hates to just sit and I don't mind letting her drive, I get to see the countryside that way.
i'll pump the gas, unless she insists.
But i do open doors for her, when we're going in places, ect.

IMO thats whats wrong with society today among alot of other things. Kids have no respect, are not taught respect to their parents, teachers, other kids, ect., and it bleeds over into their adulthood.
Lots of problems crop up when respect isn't taught to kids while they're still young.

Moonie
06-08-2012, 09:50 AM
I always pump the gas and open the door, wife knows it makes me happy to do so.

Freightman
06-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I pump the gas, ck. the oil, and always drive, it does not matter who's car it is. I have been married 52 years and I am not worried about "rights" my wife deserves special treatment as she treats me special. In all the years I have been married she always, unless sick gets up first, and I have never left the house without a hot breakfast she has made. I get treated much better than I deserve thus I treat her special as she is.

mktacop
06-08-2012, 10:10 AM
My wife doesn't like to pump gas since she is always afraid she will get it on her and it will make her clothes stink. I almost always pump gas for her....sometimes even taking the car back to the station after she gets home and says that she is almost out of gas.

casterofboolits
06-08-2012, 10:21 AM

I will open the door, I will tip my hat, I will say "Yes Mam" and "No Mam", I will not tolerate a man abusing a woman, Nor anyone abusing a child or an Elder.

Me too! [smilie=w:

Finster101
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
My wife doesn't like to pump gas since she is always afraid she will get it on her and it will make her clothes stink. I almost always pump gas for her....sometimes even taking the car back to the station after she gets home and says that she is almost out of gas.

Yup. Me too. My wife will get gas when she needs to, but I sometimes will take the car back out to fill it for her when she gets home from work. She and I both have jobs around the house that we do not like to do. Fortunately they are not the same ones. Makes it easier on both of us.

Bill*
06-08-2012, 12:52 PM

And in NJ too. :(

DCP
06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
:popcorn::

Well it 2012, were all equal,:[smilie=1:
Women have equal rights. They can even do everything a man can do. :groner:

They even have more rights than the men do. Case in point, My Grandson is playing baseball (12yr division.) On one team is a young lady (Her father is the coach) Now there is, a girls softball league. If I could only talk a 12 year old boy to go join the softball league. I would just love to see what would happen. :dung_hits_fan:

Your choices were unacceptable to me. So your poll is weighted in one direction :bigsmyl2:

When the tank hits 1/2 one of us just fills it.[smilie=w:

lavenatti
06-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Ditto in NJ.

geargnasher
06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
My wife doesn't need gas to drive beween MY bedroom and My kitch---OW!!! OOWOWOOWWO!!!!! OKAYOKAYAYAY HONEY IT WAS JUST A JOKE!!! MEDIC! :kidding:

Gear

largom
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM

SAME HERE! Larry

9.3X62AL
06-08-2012, 01:51 PM
My wife doesn't need gas to drive beween MY bedroom and My kitch---OW!!! OOWOWOOWWO!!!!! OKAYOKAYAYAY HONEY IT WAS JUST A JOKE!!! MEDIC! :kidding:

Gear

Ha ha! I'll run that past Marie when she gets home, and see how long the Spanish outburst lasts. I'll wager a minimum of 45 seconds. I do most of the gassing up and other vehicle-related things, though Marie often does the debit card part of the deal. I proceed to check the oil and wash the windshield, while she snags the drinks and a snack or 2 if we're traveling. Not quite NASCAR-pit-crew-quality and speed, but it works for us.

Sasquatch-1
06-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Gear

I hope you get out of the hospitol soon.[smilie=1:

I have always pumped my own gas. even before there was self service gas station.

Oh yeah, Isn't Ode de 87 oct a fine french perfume?:grin:

bowfin
06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
If we are together, I pump the gas, my wife goes into pay, so we don't tie up the pumps any longer than necessary.

I don't do the pumping because my wife is a lady, I pump the gas because I am a man, and that is how men treat ladies. In addition, I treat every female as a lady and every male as a man until they give evidence to the contrary.

dragonrider
06-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Same here and proud to be one.

blackthorn
06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
I am surprised---36 posts and nobody mentioned walking between her and the traffic. As far as pmping gas goes, I do that whenever we are at a self-serve gas bar, whivh is not very often as I would rather patronize the stations that provide employment for people. Their gas is the same price or just a cent lower)

9.3X62AL
06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Blackthorn--

I like your rationale, but I can't recall the last time I saw a gas station in California that offered full service of that sort. Oregon still has it, though.

Which brings up a question for Oregonians.......is it expected to tip the island guy/gal that helps you? What is the going rate, if that is the case?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
You fellas let your women have a car? and drive?

how else would she get the groceries and haul the kids everywhere

but seriously , I am usually driving if we are in the same Vehicle , and i do get the gas
sometimes she just follows me down to the station and i fill both , other times i take them for a drive separate and fill them

she pumps her own gas if she is out and about and needs it

she taught her mother how to pump gas , her mother was in her 50s before she had to pump her own gas

I was at the station with my dad over the winter , saw a young woman pumping gas with a car full of guys hats on crooked , not only did she pump her own gas while those bums sat in the warm car they were yelling at her to get them smokes and beer when she got the wrong brand of smokes they harassed her about it and sent her back in for the right ones. I thought about saying something to them but thought it might just make it worse for her.

i think there is a lesson in this for the young ladies
don't accept bad treatment from men , make them work for your affections , and make them sign a contract on the cow before they get the milk, most men aren't the romantics ladies might hope for but don't settle for a jerk there are plenty of nice men around they just aren't as visible because they aren't being loud annoying over confident arrogant jerks.

full service gas is available here now only 4 hours on Sunday afternoon at one station because they recognized the need when the last full service station closed 2 years ago. outside of a small town like this full service is almost unheard of

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-08-2012, 04:40 PM
...As far as pmping gas goes, I do that whenever we are at a self-serve gas bar, whivh is not very often as I would rather patronize the stations that provide employment for people. Their gas is the same price or just a cent lower)

In small town Glencoe, MN (Pop. about 5k) it has at least 6 gas stations, Only one has a FULL SERV. island, and gas from it is about $1 more per gallon.

FILL 'ER UP ??? I think Not !

frkelly74
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
I feel guilty about not helping a woman get her gas at the next pump over but so far haven't done anything about it. I do stop and help them change a tire now and then.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
...I was at the station with my dad over the winter , saw a young woman pumping gas with a car full of guys hats on crooked , not only did she pump her own gas while those bums sat in the warm car they were yelling at her to get them smokes and beer when she got the wrong brand of smokes they harassed her about it and sent her back in for the right ones. I thought about saying something to them but thought it might just make it worse for her.

i think there is a lesson in this for the young ladies
don't accept bad treatment from men , make them work for your affections , and make them sign a contract on the cow before they get the milk, most men aren't the romantics ladies might hope for but don't settle for a jerk there are plenty of nice men around they just aren't as visible because they aren't being loud annoying over confident arrogant jerks.

As a single Guy (who considers himself a nice guy).
I am quite convinced many young ladies are attracted
to Man-boys that treat Ladies like dirt.
Jon

MT Gianni
06-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I pump if I am in the car. She washes the windshield as she prefers the way she does it. It only took her 32 out of the 35 years of marriage to realize that it is easier to do it her way.

DCM
06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Well lets see I fix and upgrade the house and cars, do the laundry most of the time because I want clean clothes, do plenty of the cooking because I want to eat, take care of most of the #$%#@!% problems around here .

But I must be a slug because I don't pump the gas for her car that is mysteriously empty most of the time she says "lets take my car"!!
Hogwash!!!
To put it MUCH more politely than I should!

And no I don't "slap her ****" and tell me to get another beer.

paul h
06-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Hard to believe it's even a question. When I'm driving, whether my car or her car, I open the door for her, pump the gas and wash the windshields, headlights and tail lights. I also do all the maintenance on the cars and the house.

I don't have to do my clothing, we both cook and the kids do the dishes(well they are supposed to) so I figure it comes out in the wash. I do occasionally ask her to get me a beer.

bowfin
06-08-2012, 05:42 PM

I have had the same opinion when I was single, and after being happily married for 22 years last Saturday, I still hold that same opinion.

The good news is that you only need to find one good one, and chances are she isn't in the car with those guys you described. Those females aren't looking for a man, they are looking for someone who doesn't require a "best foot forward" type effort.

Just hold out for "Miss Right" and don't settle for "Miss Right Now".

gray wolf
06-08-2012, 06:55 PM
I was brought up to respect everyone, Growing up I saw how most other men respected women and how most men treated them.
Open doors, said yes mam, and just down right treated them with respect.
I am still that way now. As for pumping the gas, well Julie is down right capable of doing it, but I still do it. If I am having a bad day with my back and she knows it
she will pump it. I don't mind when she does that. We try hard to help each other.
If I saw anyone having a problem pumping gas or with anything I would do what I could to help them. Just the way I am.
This world seems to be filled with disrespectful Sons of bistaches,
I wont be one of them.

JeffinNZ
06-08-2012, 07:04 PM
A friend of mine is from the old country (England) and was in a 'gas station' one day where he knew the attendant. The guy points out a well to do lady filling both tanks of her Jaguar with diesel [smilie=1:. My friends says "aren't you going to stop her?" to which the reply was "nah, she can afford it".

dk17hmr
06-08-2012, 07:20 PM
I always pump the gas, sometimes for other people, I ussally drive, for my own saftey, always open doors, stop often for elderly and ladies on the interstate to change flat tires (guys your on your own). I picked up a purse once that was laying on the road about 20 miles from town, found the lisence and went back to town to drop it off on her door step.

I also sleep on the side of the bed closest to the door....always

smoked turkey
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
I was raised to respect a woman. My wife and I are old school. She wants to be treated like a lady and I want to be married to a lady. Treat one like any old nag and that is more than likely what you will get, an old nag. Not for everyone I know but around our house we have pink jobs and blue jobs. I do my part and she does hers. It has worked for coming up on 45 years and don't see any reason to stop now. I deplore seeing these guys get out of their car in the parking lot and take off toward the building (church, shopping center, etc) way ahead of their wife. If you didn't know them you'd see them walking in with him about 40 yards ahead of her and think they were not married. The wife and I go together and when we get to the door I open it for her and let her enter first. I think this is the polite way to treat a woman.

crazy mark
06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Blackthorn--

I like your rationale, but I can't recall the last time I saw a gas station in California that offered full service of that sort. Oregon still has it, though.

Which brings up a question for Oregonians.......is it expected to tip the island guy/gal that helps you? What is the going rate, if that is the case?

Al, At least one good joint is a good tip in the Eugene/Springfield/Roseburg area.

bowfin
06-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Now in all seriousness, I let my wife drive, but I pump gas. She hates to just sit and I don't mind letting her drive, I get to see the countryside that way

Same here. My wife is a nervous passenger, so I run the map on long trips and keep an eye out for suicidal deer.

I also pack the heat.

garbear
06-08-2012, 11:39 PM
My wife pumps if I am not with her. There has only been a few times she pumped with me in the car. One was me laid up on crutches and on some good pain killers. ie I shouldn't be driving. I drive all long trips pump the gas, check all fluids and add when nessary. She drives once in awhile like short trips to town.

garbear

41 mag fan
06-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Same here. My wife is a nervous passenger, so I run the map on long trips and keep an eye out for suicidal deer.

I also pack the heat.

When we're on trips, anything over 30 mi or if we're going to Indy, or Louisville, there's a special gift waiting for some unlucky person under both of our seats.

My wife drives slower than me, but we get to our destination a little bit later, but she's more comfortable driving than just sitting. Which is fine with me, I run heavy equipment underground, when I'm not walking old works or air courses, so not driving is good with me.
Plus I spot and pick out unusual things my wife doesn't see that we talk about while on the road.
Makes for nice conversation.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Jon

I suspect you are correct , it's a shame so many like bad boys and waist away their lives being treated like dirt.

heck I garden , i don't even treat my dirt that poorly

WILCO
06-10-2012, 07:32 AM
"I always insist on pumping gas, as I'm not a slug." --------- 88.31%

" I slap her ****! Tell her to pump and don't ferget to grab me another beer."-------- 11.69%

Still time to vote. Thanks to all who've voted thus far.

contender1
06-10-2012, 10:17 AM
My wonderful BETTER half gets true southern treatment. I open the doors, offer her my arm to walk, assist her in standing from a table, remove my hat when we dine (at home & out,) walk alongside her or slightly behind her, (as most men have a longer strid than a lady,) pump her gas (or my gas) when we are together, I carry all items in from any shopping trip, etc.
I was raised with manners & to treat ladies like ladies. I tip my hat to strange ladies, I open doors for them, give them passage in a doorway, etc.

I have never felt that a lady wasn't an equal. Nor have I felt that they can not do these things for themselves. I feel it's an honor to have such a fine woman as my mate, and to do these little things is just a way of showing her I care about her.

Around the home, we share the chores. I cook often, I vaccum, clean cat litter boxes, the toilet, wash dishes, wash clothes, etc when it needs it and she isn't able to. She does the same for me when she sees the need and I can't. We work together.

In return, she does a lot of different things for me as well. She is able to work on computer programs & such I can't. She does do a lot of the chores and a few she knows I hate to do, (such as wash windows,)
We work together.

We often discuss how it seems that so many people are not truly happy or in love with each other. We rarely fight, or even have a serious arguement.

And when we met, she wasn't a gun person.

I never pushed her, nor denied her. She decided she wanted to learn to shoot for the possibility of self defense. Now she is a life member of the NRA, a constant volunteer for the NRA (Friends program,) and we are in our 11th year of teaching NRA Women On Target programs. She was selected as the NC state volunteer of the year a few years ago for the NRA. She has been nominated for the Marion Hammer award. She has her own gun collection too.

I consider her a partner I love.

To treat her special is such a small price to pay for such a wonderful companion.

I agree with Prag above too!

So, when I see guys complain about how their wife doesn't enjoy shooting or their hobbies, or such, I often wonder how they treat their wives.
I really enjoyed another post around here about marrige, and know that a few guys do "get it."

So, pumping gas, or other such things to show them you care about them is easy for the rewards you can reap.

snuffy
06-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I do. Because it's just me, no wife, at least not now,(and not for the last 24 years). When I WAS married, she didn't drive, I doubt she knew how to operate a gas pump. Since there's NO plans on ever getting re-married, I won't have that question ever asked.

I suppose if I ever had that bridge to cross, I would let her pump if she insisted. Otherwise, I would still do it.

I never opened doors for my "X", or that other chivalrous stuff, but that was the era of the N.O.W., women's lib app-cray, so she bought into it completely.

MBTcustom
06-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I agree with contender1, at least for motives. I love my wife, and its a convenient way to show her that.
From a strictly practical point of view, I am the sole breadwinner for our home, so in fact, both cars are mine, as is the house, and everything in it. That is, I am responsible for these things. Therefore, when she is alone, she pumps, but anytime I am around, its a forgone conclusion. Matter of fact, this is the first time I ever even thought about it. I will try to notice next time I'm at the pump, but I would be willing to bet that most men here pump the gas for their women.
I think it is natural to do this. God designed women to have attributes that drive us men crazy head over teakettles in love, and getting the door and stuff is just an affirmation of that fact. The woman is what brings color to a black and white ball, and she deserves respect for that.

WILCO
06-10-2012, 11:47 PM
From a strictly practical point of view, I am the sole breadwinner for our home, so in fact, both cars are mine, as is the house, and everything in it.

EEEERRRrrr, uhmmm, I believe any qualified attorney would advise you otherwise..... :shock: :shock: [smilie=s:

5shotbfr
06-11-2012, 12:57 AM
i am single i pump my own gas .

however if i am filling up and i see a cutie without a ring i nearly always offer to pump gas for her

Geraldo
06-11-2012, 07:14 PM
It's not that I insist on pumping gas, it's that it never would have occurred to me not to.

WILCO
06-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Looks like we've got 11 slugs so far on the boards...... :kidding:

DCM
02-28-2013, 11:45 PM
This thread came to mind as I was standing out in the cold while my wife sat in the warm car.
When it is nasty out I get to pump, when it is nice she does.

starmac
03-01-2013, 02:31 AM
I generally pump the gas when I am there, if not she does it. I always just thought that was how it was suppose to be. I never wash the dishes, unless she isn't here for some reason, so I reckon it all works out.

I started noticing guys sitting in the car while their wives, Girlfriends or just friends that are girls pump the gas probably at least 20 years ago.
I watched a gal, probably in her 30's fill a uhaul truck, go in and buy what they needed and pay while the male set in the passenger seat. She was pulling a trailer and the place had some concrete barriers that she couldn't get around, so I went out to guide her while she backed out. She just couldn't get it done, and finally ask me too, all the while I was thinking this cat was worse than a slug. I told her I would right after the guy that was just sitting on his **** tried. It turned out he had both legs broke, and I felt about an inch tall.

Ickisrulz
03-01-2013, 08:18 AM
If my wife and I are together, I always pump the gas. If I take her car for some reason, I usually top it off. One of the reasons is to eliminate (at least one time) an opportunity for some one to do her harm as she is more vulnerable when outside the car pumping gas than she is driving down the road.

ffg
03-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Amen to that, that is the way I was raised.

dakotashooter2
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Depends on which side of the vehicle the filler is...........which is another rant all together.................................

All kidding aside I do it...................

Rick N Bama
03-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I pump the gas, ck. the oil, and always drive, it does not matter who's car it is. I have been married 52 years and I am not worried about "rights" my wife deserves special treatment as she treats me special. In all the years I have been married she always, unless sick gets up first, and I have never left the house without a hot breakfast she has made. I get treated much better than I deserve thus I treat her special as she is.

46 years for me & with all she does, I'm proud as I can be to pump the gas!

Rick

lightman
03-01-2013, 01:35 PM
No lady that I'm with is going to pump gas while I'm there! I don't want others thinking of me like what I think of those slugs that you are talking about. Lightman

375supermag
03-01-2013, 09:59 PM
I always pump the gas.

However, last year while I was recovering from a couple of major surgeries, a mild stroke and 33 radiation treatments, I will admit I let my wife pump gas on one or two occasions...I guess that qualifies me as a slug in some people's minds.

Moral of the story...There just may be a very good reason why the lady is pumping gas while a man sits in the car.

scottiemom
03-01-2013, 10:31 PM
I have not pumped gas since Jim and I got married 5 years ago. Now, I am perfectly capable to pump gas but Jim is pretty insistent about that is for him to do, so, to keep the peace, I let him. I mean that - he explained a few things like that to me, along with he will always open doors, he opens the car door, makes sure I get out safely when the weather is bad and a very detailed explanation of why he sleeps on the side closest to the door. Took me a while to get used to it, but I feel very loved and cared for.

Olevern
03-01-2013, 11:04 PM
I have not pumped gas since Jim and I got married 5 years ago. Now, I am perfectly capable to pump gas but Jim is pretty insistent about that is for him to do, so, to keep the peace, I let him. I mean that - he explained a few things like that to me, along with he will always open doors, he opens the car door, makes sure I get out safely when the weather is bad and a very detailed explanation of why he sleeps on the side closest to the door. Took me a while to get used to it, but I feel very loved and cared for.

Don't tell Jim, but you've got a good man there, Scottiemom

s1120
03-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Ya a old thread... but Ill join in.

I almost always will pump the fuel. its how I was born and raised. Ditto with getting the doors, and other things... Its what I do. Some may call it being sexest... but its what I feel is right. As for a few other posters here... I have also got yelled at for holding a door for someone. Well what can you do? Can let a handfull of nasty people change how you treat the rest. Ill remember the comback of "Im sorry. I thought you were a lady" though. thats a good one. :D

WILCO
07-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Bump again!

Wayne Smith
07-05-2013, 05:18 PM
I pump the gas when we are traveling (when we are usually in the car together) - cause she's in the bathroom!

mroliver77
07-06-2013, 12:02 PM
I have never been abused for being a gentleman. I have been thanked by counter people and ladies I am around.
It has always amazed me that young women seem to go for losers. I have always had females as friends. A couple I had feelings for but they were infatuated with guys that treated them like ****.
If they whole rest of the world turned into cretins overnight I would still do my best to be a gentleman.
J

Brad Phillips
07-06-2013, 10:39 PM
I pump the gas and I prefer to drive if we are together.

Yup, plenty of male slugs in society today and women seem to put up with it.

Jammersix
07-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Most ridiculous litmus test I've heard yet.

Lloyd Smale
07-07-2013, 05:32 AM
same here. We keep seperate bugets. Her money is hers my money is mine. Her car is hers my truck is mine. If she needs gas she pumps it. If we take her car she usually drives.
Whosever vehicle it is pumps the gas. Women want equality? Get off your *** and fill your tank. You wanted women's rights? Open your own door, pump your own gas, do your own laundry. Just because you have a patch of hair the shape of a triangle doesn't give you any special treatment or treatment over a man.

Big difference between chivalry and being complacent that the man will do everything for "oh poor frail me, the woman that I am" garbage.

MtGun44
07-07-2013, 01:42 PM
The driver pumps.

Bill

lylejb
07-07-2013, 02:01 PM
In Oregon, self serv is illegal.........so it's the high school drop outs and illegal aliens that pump our gas. :veryconfu

MtGun44
07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I found that really irritating in Oregon. You aren't smart enough
but some low life moron covered with tattoos and metal in his face is.

Bill

Matt85
07-07-2013, 10:21 PM
cant say ive ever been in a situation where the girl is driving and needs gas as ive almost always been the driver. the only exception was when I was a kid and my mom didn't trust me with gas...

as for Oregon... I don't like letting someone else fill my tank. I try to make sure I have a full tank before entering the state so I can leave and fill up back in WA. dunno why it bothers me but something just seems wrong about it.

-matt

Pb2au
07-07-2013, 11:04 PM
I pump normally, with the exception if the vital fluids of the car need checked, then it is whomever is closest to whichever end of the car.
My wife has a good time at the station. Her car is a diesel VW Bug. She always gets some dude in a diesel monster truck telling her that she is using the wrong fuel. She patiently explains to them that it is ok, she knows which fuel to use.
The funny thing is she knows more about general auto maintenance than most men. The benefits of having a mechanic for a dad.

longusmc
07-09-2013, 01:06 AM
When we're together I pump the gas usually I'm also the one driving. On the few occasions that she drives I'll still get out and pump gas, unless I'm sick or half asleep. I also hold open doors and greet people as they pass.

Driver man
07-09-2013, 02:35 AM
The price of gas in NZ is $9.78 per gallon ($2.15 per litre). I not only pump my own gas but shake every last drop into the tank. I can remember complaining when it went up to $0.36. We have to pay for the gas at the counter in advance of pumping. I must be getting old. Dont ask about the price of ammo.

Down South
07-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't think that my wife knows how to remove the gas cap much less run the pump.

j_dude77
07-09-2013, 10:22 PM
If want more gas in the tank than the ground; I pump.

jcwit
07-10-2013, 03:41 AM
The only time my wife pumps the gas and I mean the only time, is when she's by herself in either of our 2 vehicles. Both are registered in her name, I own no vehicles, don't know why, just the way it is. If I'm along whether driving or as a passenger I pump. She may go inside for something but that is her choice, and is she does I may ask for her to get me something.

BTW I'm a vet with a 100 disability.

Fishman
07-10-2013, 10:42 AM
My wife actually has her own car and a professional job! Crazy, I know, but sometimes, just sometimes, I let the little woman fill her own tank.

I'm a firm believer in being chivalrous, but what happens if a bus hits me tomorrow? I'd prefer that my wife be able to take care of herself and my children. That's also why I know how to cook, wash dishes, and do laundry btw.

jcwit
07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
My wife actually has her own car and a professional job! Crazy, I know, but sometimes, just sometimes, I let the little woman fill her own tank.

I'm a firm believer in being chivalrous, but what happens if a bus hits me tomorrow? I'd prefer that my wife be able to take care of herself and my children. That's also why I know how to cook, wash dishes, and do laundry btw.

Have you taught her how to change the oil? LOL

Fishman
07-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Have you taught her how to change the oil? LOL

Yes. And my daughter too. And no, they don't change the oil, I do. But they do know how. Last week I showed my daughter (again) how to check the transmission and coolant levels on her car, as well as change a headlight. Her husband is deployed and they are newly married. Every $ is precious, so if she can avoid paying someone, she can save money for a newer car. She paid a lot more attention this time :)

Lloyd Smale
07-11-2013, 05:54 AM
ill still open doors for women (not car doors) I even still tip my hat to a women on the street but I really dont see how that relates to pump gas into a car. She is more then capable of pumping her gas into HER car. Sure manages it fine if she wants to go to town with her friends. Keep in mind that back in the day when it was proper to open a car door for a women they stayed home and cooked and cleaned. My wife works and im retired and i do most of the cooking. Maybe she should start opening my door ;) She does seem to have a problem pumping it sometimes. Seems everytime i have to use her car its on empty and i have to put gas in it. Also seems like every time she uses my truck it comes back empty.
When we're together I pump the gas usually I'm also the one driving. On the few occasions that she drives I'll still get out and pump gas, unless I'm sick or half asleep. I also hold open doors and greet people as they pass.

daniel lawecki
07-11-2013, 06:12 AM
As Raymon's dad would say that's a Nancy

KCSO
07-11-2013, 11:21 AM
If I'm along I pump the gas and open the doors, I am afraid if I didn't my mom would pop out of nowhere and smack me upside the head!

WILCO
08-28-2015, 04:15 PM
http://imghumour.com/assets/Uploads/Lets-Bump.jpg

OnHoPr
08-28-2015, 04:30 PM
I guess I do, I haven't seen Ethel in a long time.

waynem34
08-28-2015, 04:33 PM
If I can keep her from driving up on the curbing<I'll gladly pump the fuel.

JesterGrin_1
08-28-2015, 04:48 PM
If I can keep her from driving up on the curbing<I'll gladly pump the fuel.

Two words. Curb Feelers. :)