PDA

View Full Version : Grip cap and forend material

Char-Gar
06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I have an old sporter Krag stock that needs some rehab. The original forend cap, grip cap and butt plate were horn that has shrank bady. They all need to be replaced, plus some wood ding removal and so forth.

Where is a good source of material for the grip and forend caps? I would think ebony would be the ticket, but I will consider other options. No more horn please!

dpaultx
06-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Got some pics and some dimensions? I keep a pretty good supply of exotic hardwoods, including ebony, and might be able to help. Fore-end caps sometimes take a really big chunk depending on the shape.

Doug

flounderman
06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
why not take the wood down to match the horn. you are going to refinish anyway. the horn isn't likely to shrink any more.

MBTcustom
06-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Here are some sources for good quality wood, phenolic and micarta. I think you would like black, paper based, micarta. It is extremely stable and beautiful material that wont shrink, chip, crack, or mildew. I made many knife handles out of it as well as pistol grips.
http://www.binghamprojects.com/products.php?cat=63
OK, well I cant find it for sale in sizes that you could use, but you can see what I'm talking about in a simple google search. I have a source that can get me almost anything, so if you want to go that way, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.