PDA

View Full Version : Try this, I did and was not pleased

hivoltfl
04-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Telephone Number Search

Google has implemented a new feature that enables anyone to type a telephone
number into the search bar and hit enter and be given the person's name
and address. If you then hit MapQuest, you will get a map to the person's house.
Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find
out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious and alarming.

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number
and it came up along with the MapQuest and directions straight to our house. I
did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage you to do the
same. Please look up your own number.

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: Google, type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. To BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.

This may not apply to you if you have an unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact, but you may know someone who needs to know this.

felix
04-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Telephone numbers don't scare me no where near as much as being forced to give my ssa number to ANYONE under penalties of law. I lie about that as much as I can get away with. The big boys are the deadliest in ways you have no idea. ... felix

NVcurmudgeon
04-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Felix, for years I have been trnasposing one or more pairs of digits of my ssn for the records of doctors, and once for some insurance company that wanted it on a fark lift driving test at one of my employers. Never attracted any notice!

Halfbreed
04-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Actually it is illegal for anyone to ask your ss#, it is not a personal identification #, the social security people will tell you that. On the other hand, try to get anything done without giving your number out.
John

Jim
04-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Halfbreed makes an interesting observation which brings a question/suggestion to mind:
Wonder what would happen if you challenged the inquirer about the legality of them asking for your SS and offering to give them your driver's license number instead? Just a thought to share.

waksupi
04-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Here's one to get your blood up. In Montana, you must give your SS#, to get a hunting or fishing license. Supposedly to find dead beat dads. So, through this, the state assumes all dead beat dads, are hunters or fishermen. As far as I know,there are zero other programs in the state with this requirement.

wills
04-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Here's one to get your blood up. In Montana, you must give your SS#, to get a hunting or fishing license. Supposedly to find dead beat dads. So, through this, the state assumes all dead beat dads, are hunters or fishermen. As far as I know,there are zero other programs in the state with this requirement.

Pretty much universal, imposed on the states by the Yankee Government. Have to do that to get a license to do anything. Here to contract with the state, the contractor used to have to sign an affidavit that he was not arrears in child support. Has to do one for every contract. When I worked for the state I used to notarize a lot of those affidavits. Same guy we contracted with three weeks ago, new affidavit. Your tax dollars at work.

wills
04-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Google has implemented a new feature that enables anyone to type a telephone
number into the search bar and hit enter and be given the person's name
and address. If you then hit MapQuest, you will get a map to the person's house.
Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.

Not new, google has been doing that for years, for me, it has been the best thing since sliced bread

I once heard (seminar mabye) the best place to find a SS number was the Federal Reserve website. Never did poke around the site long enought to learn how.

NVcurmudgeon
04-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I live near, but not in Reno. My number got me the name, address, and a map to the address of Mr. and Mrs. X in Reno. Close, but no cigar!

Buckshot
04-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Halfbreed makes an interesting observation which brings a question/suggestion to mind:
Wonder what would happen if you challenged the inquirer about the legality of them asking for your SS and offering to give them your driver's license number instead? Just a thought to share.

..............When we moved to town and had our electric service changed, the lady was taking down our new info, then she asked for my SSN#. I said I'm not seeking SS benefits, just changing my electric service. She said that's the way the Electric company makes sure they're dealing with who the people say they are. I said that was too bad, they'd have to figure a different way for me. She put me on hold then came back and said she could take my driver's licence number.

Again I said BEEP! Sorry no driver's licence number. You have my old phone number, which is the same at our new address and that will have to do ya. On hold againm, then she came back and said okay, and we finished moving my electric bills to my new addy.

..............Buckshot

dragonrider
04-22-2007, 10:03 AM
I tried it and to get the results I would need to pay $14.95. It did mention the town but it was the wrong town. Unless I had the wrong search feature.

Halfbreed
04-22-2007, 02:24 PM
I googled for mine and it did not come up at all, whenever somebody asks for my ssn, I tell them they can use my drivers license, unless they are my doctors or lawyers. they are the only ones who get it.
John

DLCTEX
04-22-2007, 03:20 PM
We are independent agents for Cellular one and the ssn of the primary account holder is necessary to make any changes in an acct. plus changes can only be made by same unless previous written permission has been given. These rules have been brought about because of ex spouses and others making unauthorized changes etc., and children getting phones and running up large bills before parents became aware of it. The companies have lost big money and have been sued too many times. Without that ssn. nothing's happening. If you don't want to give it , you can't get a phone, except prepay, which can be expensive. Depends on how much you are willing to pay to keep it that private. It is for private use only, and if the co. gives or carelessly permits theft of it, they are liable for damages. I believe that if someone wants your ssn badly enough, they will get it despite all you can do. Dale

Thin Man
04-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Several years ago the State of Tennessee began issuing Driving Certificates to the illegals so they could travel to and from work without having to worry about being detained for illegal operation of a vehicle. This caused all manner of other problems to appear, too many to list. When the state came to their senses and stopped this program they returned to issuing licenses only to in-state residents. The state began demanding the applicant's social security number in order to apply for a license (new and renewal operators) unless the number was already on file. When some people complained, the state answered that the applicant did not have to surrender this information. Likewise, the State did not have to issue the applicant a driver's license - as it is a privilege and not a right. Wanna guess how many applicants coughed up the data??? By the way, isn't Illinois proposing this exact same driving certificate for their illegals? They could learn from our experiences.

mike in co
04-22-2007, 10:59 PM
We are independent agents for Cellular one and the ssn of the primary account holder is necessary to make any changes in an acct. plus changes can only be made by same unless previous written permission has been given. These rules have been brought about because of ex spouses and others making unauthorized changes etc., and children getting phones and running up large bills before parents became aware of it. The companies have lost big money and have been sued too many times. Without that ssn. nothing's happening. If you don't want to give it , you can't get a phone, except prepay, which can be expensive. Depends on how much you are willing to pay to keep it that private. It is for private use only, and if the co. gives or carelessly permits theft of it, they are liable for damages. I believe that if someone wants your ssn badly enough, they will get it despite all you can do. Dale

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO USE A SSN FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN SS BUSINESS!

IF YOU CHECK YOUR IRS TAX FORMS YOU WILL SEE THAT SOMEWHER EALONG THE LINE "YOU" ASSIGNED YOURSELF A "TIN"( TAXPAYER ID NUMBER) MOST PEOPLE SIMPLY ASSIGNED THEMSELVES THE SAME AS THIER SSN.
( THE TIN WAS THE RESULTS OF A LAW SUIT BY US CITIZENS REFUSING TO PROVIDE SSN'S ON TAX FORMS.....THE LAW WAS ON THIER SIDE).

having said all that most employeers violate it , your ins co violates the law they guys that we buy guns from......we have become numbers not people !

i'm getting old(not) so may start forgetting mine or getting it wrong.......

wills
04-22-2007, 11:47 PM
http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/ssact/title02/0205.htm#c2B

sundog
04-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Dale, so let's see. If I know someone's ssn I could run up charges on their account. Makes sense to me. Now who's liable? It's still fraud!