PDA

View Full Version : Back again

Beekeeper
06-07-2012, 08:46 AM
I am back again with annother stupid question.
I will readly admit that I am a knock kneed, pigeon toed , snaggle toothed , knuckle dragging newbe when it comes to BP.
I fired my first rounds a little over a year ago.
I have been shooting smokeless for over 40 years so my mind set is kinda janduced.

In my previous post it was suggested I go up in powder charge as well as boolit weight in the Martini Mauser I am playing with.
In the smokeless world that is a disaster waiting to happen.

So I am asking what kind of pressure increase I will get by upping from 70 to 74 or 80 grains of FFG Goex I will get and what kind of pressure increase by going from a 360 grain boolit to a 380 or 465 grain.

May sound stupid to someone that has been shooting BP forever but not to a gross newbe like me.

Thanks for reading and any info you will share.

beekeeper

Don McDowell
06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Your are right this is not like smokeless. By going to a full case of blackpowder with a bit of compression yes you will up the pressure, but the bp pressure will be much less than 99% of any and all smokeless loads you could shoot in that thing.
Might go here and look at the data
http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Cartridge-Rifle.pdf

218bee
06-07-2012, 10:17 AM
You cant get enough BP in the case to be "overpressure".
I cant tell you exactly the % a given load goes up by increasing bullet weight or BP charge.
But I shoot old Trapdoor Springfield's in 45/70 and 50/70 and dont worry about too much powder.
ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND WITH BP THOUGH IS AVOID ANY AIR GAP IN THE POWDER IN THE CASE!!
USE A DROP TUBE AND COMPRESS POWDER TO ELIMINATE AIR GAP--SEAT BULLET ON TOP OF POWDER OR WAD---WITH NO AIR GAP. THEN YOU WILL BE OK.
I've only been doin Black 5-6yrs and I agree its a whole new ballgame. But it always amazes me how well it works. Have fun

TXGunNut
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
I've only been burning BP for about three years and it helps to remember that smokeless powder changed most everything about firearms and cartridges. BP gets us back to our roots.

Texantothecore
06-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I've only been burning BP for about three years and it helps to remember that smokeless powder changed most everything about firearms and cartridges. BP gets us back to our roots.

It does get us back to our roots. I spent a bit of a time analyzing compression dies for BP and then got to the point of paralysis. I then rethought the process and figured out that cowboys used ....."oh, a stick". In other words, a dowel that is filed so that it is useful for compressing powder.

Roots, always keep our roots in mind.