PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone shooting the NAA mini "cap and ball" revolvers?

NoZombies
06-07-2012, 12:22 AM
I've got a fascination with small mechanical devices, and the little NAA mini revolvers have always been interesting to me. I've owned and shot a number of them over the years, but never had the chance to shoot one of the C&B versions.

Looking around, I see that they make a C&B version of their "Earl" remington 1858 semi-look-alike revolver.

I have a few molds that would be appropriate, but never having shot one, I'm a little reluctant to drop hard earned money on it without any input.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with them?

44man
06-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds like fun but it would depend on cost to buy one.
I had a REAL cap and ball when I was a kid. You put a no 6 shot down the barrel and used a paper cap to fire it. It was kind of amazing how much power it had at close range.
I was always a gun nut and converted one of those gun cigarette lighters to shoot .22 shorts. I made zip guns to shoot rats too.
Life was easy back then. I would pick through trash and get a huge pile of coat hangers that I sold for a penny apiece to the dry cleaner. Bottles for deposit always kept some coins so I could buy a long strip of penny pack BB's for my Red Ryder and I could even buy .22's. I lived for penny candy too.
That little gun you ask about would bring back memories.

Big Rack
06-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I own a short barreled one but haven't shot it I will say they are the same construction as their rimfire models and extra cylinders are available. I know that the NAA website has some forums but I don't know if they have one specifically for the blackpowder guns.

Ragnarok
06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
I went the other direction..and bought a Uberti Colt Dragoon clone...kind-of BIG!...Sort-of HEAVY!

Texantothecore
06-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Sounds like fun but it would depend on cost to buy one.
I had a REAL cap and ball when I was a kid. You put a no 6 shot down the barrel and used a paper cap to fire it. It was kind of amazing how much power it had at close range.
I was always a gun nut and converted one of those gun cigarette lighters to shoot .22 shorts. I made zip guns to shoot rats too.
Life was easy back then. I would pick through trash and get a huge pile of coat hangers that I sold for a penny apiece to the dry cleaner. Bottles for deposit always kept some coins so I could buy a long strip of penny pack BB's for my Red Ryder and I could even buy .22's. I lived for penny candy too.
That little gun you ask about would bring back memories.

That cap and ball gun was a nice toy for a young lad.

I guess the paintball and airsoft guns are the modern equivalent.

NickSS
06-10-2012, 05:19 AM
I have had one for several years and it is fun to shoot but I only do so periodically. I have the one with the long cylinder similar to the 22 mag cartridge guns. The chamber had a step in it which stops the bullet when seating. Per the instructions the charge is 4 gr of FFFFG and a 29 gr 22 short bullet that they sell you for too much. I have gone through several hundred loads with it and it shoots OK but it is really a 5 to 10 foot gun as it has no rear sight and as far as I can tell the front sight is too tall. So what I do is just point it and fire. Hitting pop cans at 10 to 15 feet is fun. As for power it is about the same as a 22 short in one of their mini revolvers. At 10 feet is will penetrate 3/4" pine boards but not a 2X4.