PDA

View Full Version : Adding to my bench

novalty
06-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Well I've been looking for a case trimmer to add to my bench, so I can start reloading .223 Rem. for the Mini-14 I inherited from my grandfather when he passed a couple years ago. Been looking for a L.E Wilson trimmer, and stumbled across this one that showed up on eBay with a .223 Rem case holder and de-burring tool.
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/130707943351.jpg

Am wondering if there are any suggestions to mount it to either my bench so I can move it out of the way when not using it, or if I should make up something like the Sinclair base? Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/ReloadingBench008.jpg

seagiant
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Hi,
The Wilson Case Trimmer is the best hand powered trimmer made to me! You made a good choice. I trim OAL and cut the primer crimps out while the case is in the holder,as I use once fired Nato brass.

What I do is set the base of the trimmer in the vise jaws of my bench vise. If I was not able to do that I would put it on a peice of "I" shaped steel and then secure that to a peice of 3/8 aluminum plate. This would give you something like the Sinclair set up but alot cheaper!

You can usually find small cut offs for something like this at your smaller weld shops or surplus steel dealer.

W.R.Buchanan
06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
I would mount it to either a piece of aluminum plate 3/8-1/2 thick or a nice piece of hardwood.

You would then clamp it to your bench with a C Clamp when being used and put it in a tool box or cabinet when not in use.

This is the type of tool that needs to be boxed as it is not going to be used all the time. Anytime you are not using your tools covering them with plastic trash bags (stuff bolted to the table) or putting them back into their original boxes keeps them looking new. You will never wear out reloading tools. They however will age and consequently look bad as a result of leaving them out in the open to gather dust, dirt, and corrosion.

I am big on putting stuff into boxes and putting the boxes into cabinets. I have dies and reloading tools that I bought 40 years ago that still look like they are new.

You can too.

Randy

seagiant
06-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi,
If you look in the mayonnaise jar to the right in this picture, you can see my Wilson Case Trimmer!!!

An older pic, right Randy!

waksupi
06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I always thought you should keep the mayonnaise on the RIGHT side of the press.

Ickisrulz
06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_137074fcff7c769881.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5513)

Jal5
06-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I like the clamp on vise. it would come in handy for a number of tasks too.
Joe

novalty
06-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Appreciate the suggestions. At this point I don't have a vise on my bench. Am thinking of maybe getting a butcher block cutting board, and basically making the same thing as the Sinclair Trimmer Platform ($28.95+$12.95 S&H), but instead of drilled out spots for the case holders, drilling and gluing wooden dowels into the block. Just trying to figure out a size that would work well. There is a 3/4"x 8"x12" block on eBay for under $20 shipped.

Char-Gar
06-07-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't see how a fellow cannot have a vise of some kind in his reloading set up. I could not get by without one. I use a Wilson trimmer and catch it in my vise.

dpaultx
06-07-2012, 02:36 PM
The vacuum based PanaVise is pretty handy for occasionally used small tools like the Wilson case trimmer.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/pdamn.wprcd/v/vspfiles/photos/PV-381-2T.jpg

I've got three of 'em, with different heads, and they come in real handy. You can move it anywhere, and set it up instantly, on any counter/bench with a reasonably slick surface.

Doug

seagiant
06-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi,
Another use for a vise!

W.R.Buchanan
06-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Greg: All mentions of Spolars and Metalmatic 2's should be updated to include my address.

Randy

LUBEDUDE
06-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Hey SG, I see in that first pic you have one those semi-rare Dillon Brass primer flip trays. I love it!

seagiant
06-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi Randy,
I will be expecting a write up here sometime in the future on both of those pieces of equipment! Your take on a machine of any sort is always enlightening!

Hi Lube,
I've had that primer flip tray for a longgggg time! Even though big and heavy I like it the most!

adrians
06-08-2012, 07:23 AM
I found this butcher block at a yard sale ,$2 i think .
anyway it makes for a solid enough base for my CH trimmer and isn't so big i cant carry it to somewhere else in my cave...

novalty
06-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Adrians, what size length & with is your block. Looks like it has plenty of room on it for setting shell holder, and brass while trimming?

cheese1566
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Here is my portable set up for my trimmers. I made the oak base and steel stand for the CH trimmer. The white block is some soft poly for knocking out the trimmed casing from the shellholder. I c-clamp it to a table to to secure it.

novalty
06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Here is my portable set up for my trimmers. I made the oak base and steel stand for the CH trimmer. The white block is some soft poly for knocking out the trimmed casing from the shellholder. I c-clamp it to a table to to secure it.

Cheese1566, your set up is very close to what I was envisioning. What are the dimension of the wood base that you used, and how did you secure the trimmer stand?

adrians
06-08-2012, 06:02 PM
novalty ,
The block is 12"x12" and yes plenty of room for all my needs

cheese1566 ,
that setup is great ,,, i like it .
mine may have to get a facelift :bigsmyl2:

bbqncigars
06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Don't forget to cover your presses when you're not using them or taking their picture. Cheap pillowcases are great for this.

geargnasher
06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I cover my presses with trash bags, the cinch-type so I can snug the bottoms up too.

One thing I need to make is a new, vise-mounted trimmer platform. One thing I'm going to do right with the next platform is add some trim strips around the perimeter to make it a shallow tray, that way the brass shavings don't go everywhere (carpet, mainly).

Gear

cheese1566
06-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Its about 7.5" x 14" and 3/4" thick.
I put sticky felt on the bottom to keep from marring tables and benches.
The dowels work pretty good for the shellholders and I also drilled holes for the pilots and other accessories.

The CH trimmer stand is a piece of square tube steel that I cut in half to form the U shape. The bottom is screwed into the oak and the top uses machine screws into the trimmer.

I countersunk the screw that holds the poly so the case mouth wouldn't hit when tapping.

I formulated the idea from the Sinclair Intl catalog.