PDA

View Full Version : Question, Lee casting pot

greg gremlin
06-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I have had this Lee 10# pot for several years. Last session, the lead got cold/froze with the temp set at 800*. Then after a few min. it got to where I could cast again. Is the element going out?? [smilie=b:or is it just cycling normal. Thanks, greg

06-06-2012, 06:16 PM
If the alloy solidified, it's certainly not a matter of normal cycling. I seriously doubt that the heating element, itself, is defective. Usually, a heating element is an item that either works or doesn't. Most likely, there is an intermittent electrical connection, somewhere. You will have to make some voltage and/or resistance measurements. Fortunately, the wiring is very straight forward.

Possible suspects:
1. A loose electrical connection
2. Corroded thermostat contacts

Hint: When making the electrical measurements, wiggle the wires, particularly the AC line on both sides of the strain relief.

greg gremlin
06-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks! I like this Lee and did not want to replace it just yet. greg

TomBulls
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
I used a 10lb Lee production pot for the last two years, and it words great-ish. I got it from an old man who's son was in charge of the bucket sale. Apparently, the pot was used extensively as back as the 60s and 70s, and I just got really tired of the small pot capacity. Especially when casting large bullets for my .44mag and .500mag 10lbs of lead goes REALLY fast... I've decided to keep it around for smelting lead scrap so that I don't yuck up my 20lb pot with wheel weight crud and old bullet lube.

-thomas

Old Caster
06-07-2012, 11:03 PM
It is quite possible that the thermostat has failed. You might get away with just cleaning the contacts. If that doesn't work a stat isn't expensive to buy nor hard to replace.

williamwaco
06-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I think your spout is freezing up.

Get a butane fire starter for about a buck at the grocery store.

Use this to heat up the spout. If it will pour after about 20 seconds, your pot is fine.