PDA

View Full Version : ruger new model blackhawk

sharpshooter79
06-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Howdy Folks,
I am looking at getting a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt catalog number BN-455L. I was wondering if anyone here knew if this was made on the lighter frame same as the New Vaquero? I want something that will take the "Ruger Only" loads if I ever wanted to load them. Not saying that is all I will shoot but I would like the capability if needed. Note that this model has what I call the "hatchback" frame like the older model blackhawks not the "flattop" like the special runs they had a few years back. It looks like to me it has the heavier frame like I want. Thanks!

tek4260
06-05-2012, 11:37 PM
That model is the full size, blued, 5.5" 45 Colt, equipped with the lock under the mainspring.

sharpshooter79
06-05-2012, 11:41 PM
What is the smaller frame blackhawk? Is that the special "flattop" run they did a few years back? Is that the only one with the smaller frame? The one I mentioned will take the heavier loads even with the small grip frame? Thanks!

dmize
06-05-2012, 11:49 PM
From my understanding ONLY the new Vaqueros and the Flattops have the 3 screw size frame. Blackhawks are still the same full size frame.
Also as a side note in my reading there have been lots of warnings about NOT running Ruger Only loads thru them,the cylinders are smaller too.

sharpshooter79
06-05-2012, 11:58 PM
The cylinders are smaller on the Blackhawks or the new flattops? Thanks!

Lefty SRH
06-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Cylinders are small on the .45colt FLAT TOP.

Lefty SRH
06-06-2012, 05:21 AM
They say the max. pressure is 30K CUP- 32K CUP on the full size .45 colt. They say the max. on the .45 colt FLAT TOP is only 25 K CUP

dmize
06-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Cylinders are smaller on the the Flattops and new Vaqueros.
Nothing about Blackhawks have changed size wise.

Sensai
06-06-2012, 08:30 AM
OK, guys, now I'm confused! Is there any model of the Blackhawk (says Blackhawk on the firearm) that wont take full "Ruger" loads???

dmize
06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
YES!! The 44 Special and 45 Colt Blackhawk Flattops WILL NOT take "Full Ruger Loads" Im not sure if Vaqueros are still listed with the Blackhawk prefix or not,but New Models are small frame and are restricted in pressures like the Flattops.

bob208
06-06-2012, 09:03 AM
with the maze of over sized cal. guns out there. i don't see the need to buy a smaller cal. then over load it. you need a magnum buy a magnum.

Sensai
06-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks, I was under the impression that only the Vaqueros were not strong enough for the "Ruger" loads. I'm only talking 45 Colt. I guess I'll have to do a little research! I have a Blackhawk, but haven't started reloading for it yet. I don't even know what a "Flat top" is, but I'll surely find out before I get myself in trouble. Thanks again for the heads up.

dmize
06-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Research is always good,Im sure there is lots of good information out there.
FWIW to the best of my knowledge outside of the old original 3 screw guns, the Flattops are all special run guns, and the 45's are pretty recent too,your not likely to run into a bunch of them in the gun shops yet.

Sensai
06-06-2012, 09:40 AM
45 Colt is a "smaller cal."? The factories have to load to the lowest common denominator when it comes to cartridge pressures, and there are some old and relatively weak firearms chambered for the 45 Colt cartridge. I load plenty of 45 Colt loads, I just haven't loaded for this particular Blackhawk. My intent is to have one load suitable for it and my Puma '92. I have no intentions of exceeding published loads for the round. Thanks for your concern, though.

makicjf
06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I have two new model blackhawks and regularly run 3ok + loads through them. An old model Vaquero (simply says "Vaquero" and NOt "New Vaquero") is essentially a blackhawk in more western clothes. My freind has one with a birdshead grip and it shoots thumpers just fine. New Vaqueros , as I understand it, should NOT be loaded to a "Ruger Only" level. I can not speak to the Flattops, but others have stated they are in the same realm as a "new Vaquero". My mantra is when In doubt, don't. It is ironic that a lawsuit leary company such as Ruger has created such confusion by manufacturing similiar weapons that can safely operate at disparate pressure levels.
I would love a pair of Vaqueros with the 3 1/2 inch bbls and birdshead grips in 45 colt, but will never own a pair. I am afraid that no matter how many systems I create to cross check myself a hunting load will find its way into one. If I buy one, it will have to be in 45 acp. This is the same reason I won"t buy an uberti. I was plinking one day with my 4 5/8 BH and mixed in a heavy load ( 24 H110 260 grain RNFP). The unexpected thunder made me think I had double dosed a case with unique. That would have been 20 grains for that load. I stopped and expected my cylinder to be cracked. It was not. The case fell out and the distinct smell of burned h110 clicked on the lightswitch in my brain. The light came on and I figured what had happened. I decided right then I will not own any 45 colt that can't handle my hunting loads. There is not much work for one handed blind farriers.
JMO,
Jason

Rockchucker
06-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Here is a good article on the 45 colts.
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=5

dmize
06-06-2012, 12:44 PM
You should be able to accomplish your mission quite easily.
I have a 4 5/8 stainless Blackhawk and when you start messing with H110 and Littlegun the fun factor looses it luster quite quickly,if your has an aluminum grip frame the fun goes away faster.
Jason,depending on what you have to work with or even want to bother with it, My "cowboy loads" for my Uberti and Pedersoli are loaded with Unique and 250 gr RNFP's My Ruger and Marlins are loaded with usually H110 and 255 to 300 gr SWC. Makes them easy to keep seperated.
Another thing I do on my 45/70's,that would work too is to use a blue and a red Testors paint marker. Rolling block loads get a blue paint do on the case head and Guide Gun loads get a red paint dot on the case head.

paul h
06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
with the maze of over sized cal. guns out there. i don't see the need to buy a smaller cal. then over load it. you need a magnum buy a magnum.

There aren't alot of options to get more power than the 44 magnum in a single action revolver. Not everyone wants a 454 casull, 475 linebaugh, 500 JRH or 500 linebaugh. All of those rounds require guns that are more expensive than a ruger blackhawk or bisley.

If you can find an accusport 45 colt bisley, that's about as good as it gets in a reasonbly priced six shooter.

rexherring
06-06-2012, 07:32 PM
You should be able to accomplish your mission quite easily.
I have a 4 5/8 stainless Blackhawk and when you start messing with H110 and Littlegun the fun factor looses it luster quite quickly,if your has an aluminum grip frame the fun goes away faster.
Jason,depending on what you have to work with or even want to bother with it, My "cowboy loads" for my Uberti and Pedersoli are loaded with Unique and 250 gr RNFP's My Ruger and Marlins are loaded with usually H110 and 255 to 300 gr SWC. Makes them easy to keep seperated.
Another thing I do on my 45/70's,that would work too is to use a blue and a red Testors paint marker. Rolling block loads get a blue paint do on the case head and Guide Gun loads get a red paint dot on the case head.

I agree with the "Fun Factor" when I load my 340 gr with H110. They shoot good, cases drop out, but the skin comes off of my trigger finger after 6 rounds. Not fun to shoot.

ColColt
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
YES!! The 44 Special and 45 Colt Blackhawk Flattops WILL NOT take "Full Ruger Loads" Im not sure if Vaqueros are still listed with the Blackhawk prefix or not,but New Models are small frame and are restricted in pressures like the Flattops.

So, you're saying the current BH 45 Colt can't withstand the pressures generated by reloads in older Ruger's in 45 Colt? I don't mean the 3-screw ones but those made some years back. I don't know when they changed the frame size on the 45 Colt-that's news to me. I thought that was just the 44 Special. What of the 357 Magnum? Is it on the smaller frame as well?

RobS
06-06-2012, 11:19 PM
So, you're saying the current BH 45 Colt can't withstand the pressures generated by reloads in older Ruger's in 45 Colt? I don't mean the 3-screw ones but those made some years back. I don't know when they changed the frame size on the 45 Colt-that's news to me. I thought that was just the 44 Special. What of the 357 Magnum? Is it on the smaller frame as well?

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Lipseys45Flattop.htm

sharpshooter79
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably be getting the new model blackhawk in 45 colt. I wanted to get the Bisley but can't afford that now. I wondering though is there a way to remove the trigger locks on these Blackhawks? Thanks!

dmize
06-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Im not sure if anyone is "marketing" a way to remove it.
Now to really start the argument,dont worry about the lock.
If the owners manual didnt tell you it existed you would never know it had one by shooting it.

Trey45
06-07-2012, 02:36 PM
This might be a day late, but here's a size comparison between two Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colts. The top one is the "full size" Blackhawk, the bottom is the Flattop Blackhawk.

http://images112.fotki.com/v233/photos/6/1809686/10101988/45BlackhawksSize003-vi.jpg

The top one is "Ruger Only" safe, and it's been proven in that gun many many times. The Flattop has only been shot with "Colt SAA" loads. The cylinder is not only smaller in diameter on the Flattop, but it's also shorter.

pmer
06-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey check this out in our for sale section. It looks to be available.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=154993&highlight=colt+bisley+accusport

A Ruger Bisley 45 Colt / 45 ACP. Whew, drooling again..

Rockchucker
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
This might be a day late, but here's a size comparison between two Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colts. The top one is the "full size" Blackhawk, the bottom is the Flattop Blackhawk.

http://images112.fotki.com/v233/photos/6/1809686/10101988/45BlackhawksSize003-vi.jpg

The top one is "Ruger Only" safe, and it's been proven in that gun many many times. The Flattop has only been shot with "Colt SAA" loads. The cylinder is not only smaller in diameter on the Flattop, but it's also shorter.

For my style of shooting the flat top sure fits my hands nicely, I'm enjoying mine everyday. The smaller frames may not shoot the Ruger only loads however I seldom do with the SBH's anyway.
Nice grips btw!

Trey45
06-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks, those are semi gunfighter grips Bearpaw made from 2 types of buckeye burl.

canyon-ghost
06-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Good Looking hardware there, Trey. My 41 Mag is the bigger frame, 44 Special the smaller one. I think the larger frame can 'really dish it out' in terms of recoil, lol.

Trey45
06-07-2012, 07:47 PM
44 Special Flattop you say?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=655&pictureid=4737
Superlative shooter, mild recoil. I agree with you 100% Ron, the big framed Blackhawks are punishing in recoil.

Rockchucker
06-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Man what some pretty guns you have, those grips really stand out for me. If I ever get some extra money I know where it's going.

Trey45
06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks. I'm partial to buckeye burl, and Bearpaw makes the best fitting and feeling grips I've come across.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=5480

Eventually, all of my Ruger Single Actions will be wearing his grips. So far I've managed to get 4 sets.