PDA

View Full Version : Pederisoli sights

Beekeeper
06-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I have heard all of the ( throw them in the river, in the trash ,recycle bin answers).
I still want to use one on an old rifle I have ( if I like them will look at better ones)

The question is ,
when installing them on an unknown rifle that is not drilled and tapped for them.
If you set the elevation at (0) at what range should you be ? 200 yards , 100 yards?
The rifle I am thinking of installing it in has a short tang and to get it installed I will have to either cut out part of the cheekpiece or install where I cannot get my hand around the pistol grip.
Any help appreciated

beekeeper

Black Powder Bill
06-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I have one , a micro adjustable on my Tryon and it is a pain in the ***!! The peep hole is so small that it is constantlly needing cleaning from the gas blowback. Another downfall is it is so fragile. It did adjust up nice Other than that looking back I should have saved my money and drilled out a washer.

Moondawg
06-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I had a Pederisoli vernier sight on a 1885 Highwall, it was aweful. It would not fold flat enough that you could clean the rifle from the breech. I either had to take the sight off or clean from the muzzle. It was not that well made. For the same amount of money you can get a Lee Shaver vernier sight that works and is well made. If you just want a good tang sight, and are not going to be shooting long range competition, for a little over a hundred $$ you can get a Marble tang sight. And it will probably come closer to fitting your rifle. I have the Marble tang on two of my rifles and a Lee Shaver delux on my Browning 1885 BPCR.

Don McDowell
06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I have heard all of the ( throw them in the river, in the trash ,recycle bin answers).
I still want to use one on an old rifle I have ( if I like them will look at better ones)

The question is ,
when installing them on an unknown rifle that is not drilled and tapped for them.
If you set the elevation at (0) at what range should you be ? 200 yards , 100 yards?

beekeeper

There is no answer to your question . You will have to do the shooting and see what the vernier reads when you get centered on the aiming point at what range. Write it down and proceed on to the next distance.

waksupi
06-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Yep, pretty much shoot, and see. My Sharps had a Parts Unknown sight on it. According to setting it at 850 yards, I was on at 1000 yards.

John Boy
06-05-2012, 06:00 PM
OK Guys ... I have 5 Pedersoli sights on Sharps & Highwalls. The 100yd baseline MOA on the 2 Sharps is 0 MOA and the others need more elevation. On the Soule, I have a Hadley cup and the others are stock oculars. If you are ******** ...'peep hole is so small that it is constantly needing cleaning from the gas blowback' ... that's pure unadulterated bull ****!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/PDRM2916.jpg
and if you won't buy a Hadley cup, do you own a drill and bits to open the ocular hole?

I shoot close to 2,000 + or - rounds each year. The oldest sight is vintage 2001 and it and none of the others have 'fell off' - bent or loosened. With the Sharps & HiWall, they are the 1000yd rifles and here's an example of a 2007 group on Homer with a 10" bulleseye ... who I visit 2 to 3 times each year
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/PDRM2901-1.jpg

And Moondawg, I clean the HiWall from both the muzzle and the breech. No I don't have to remove the vernier. Did the thought ever go through your head to buy a flexible cleaning rod that bends when cleaning from the breech?

And yes, I have $650 worth of Baldwin sights on my CPA (32-40 & 45-70 barrels). My groups are no better with the Baldwin then with the Pedersoli's

Don McDowell
06-05-2012, 07:00 PM
John keep in mind he's mounting this sight on a Martini. There's no provisions designed into that rifle for a pedersoli sight, and the sight was not engineered to work on a martini rifle.. So getting the 0 setting to be dead on at any range is going to take alot of luck..

Chill Wills
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Jeez John Boy! Does someone need to buy you a happy meal?
A little less tough talk would sell your point better.:wink::wink:

Beekeeper
06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Guessing by playing with it looking out the garage door to a place I know is about 100 yards I think it will be reaonably close at 200.
Will find out next week and maybe by then I can come up with a base design that will get me on at 100 with the sight at "0"

Thanks for the insight and help.

beekeeper

Don McDowell
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Here's something you can try.
With the sights that are on the gun now set for 100 yds (or whatever suits your fancy) place the vernier sight on the gun about where you will mount it, set it to 0 and carefully move the entire sight until the barrel sights are perfectly aligned with the center of the vernier's aperature. Mark the spot on the gun's "tang" and install your sight.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-06-2012, 08:21 AM
I use a number of Pedersoli sights on my Sharps and haven't found any problem?

For mounting on a Martini try these mounts for an original Meus sight but could be adapted to any other range aperature

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Meues_folded.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Meues_upright.jpg

Boz330
06-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I use a number of Pedersoli sights on my Sharps and haven't found any problem?

For mounting on a Martini try these mounts for an original Meus sight but could be adapted to any other range aperature

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Meues_folded.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Meues_upright.jpg

I made a plate similar to BA's but bigger and mounted a Williams 5D to it and it works great and much cheaper than the Meus or the Pedi. Here in this country the Meus would probably be next to impossible to find.

Bob

Moondawg
06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Moondawg, I clean the HiWall from both the muzzle and the breech. No I don't have to remove the vernier. Did the thought ever go through your head to buy a flexible cleaning rod that bends when cleaning from the breech?

No it did not go through my head to buy a flexible cleaning rod. I avoid flexible cleaning rods like the plague.. They tend to bow and cause cleaning rod wear on whatever part of the bore and/or chamber they touch. You are free to have whatever kind of sight you want on your rifles and clean them however you want. I will do the same.

Don McDowell
06-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Moondawg you may want to google up Delrin cleaning rods.....

hiram
06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Fuzz in the peep hole is from eye-strain. The hole is too small. A larger hole is in order. Buy a set of number drills. Number drills allow you to open the sight in small increments. I have a a Hadley cup on my Lee Shaver midrange sight. I'm a happy camper.

Boz330
06-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Fuzz in the peep hole is from eye-strain. The hole is too small. A larger hole is in order. Buy a set of number drills. Number drills allow you to open the sight in small increments. I have a a Hadley cup on my Lee Shaver midrange sight. I'm a happy camper.

Hard to blow that fuzz out to, but I keep trying.:roll:

Bob

kokomokid
06-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Yes sir, bigger drill bits get the fuzz out but what do you use to dark out the shiny newly exposed metal?

Ramar
06-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Kokomokid,
Try a sharpie and give it a couple of coats. Stops the rust also.
Ramar

littlejack
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Hey gentlemen:
When I first bought my Uberti 1885 HighWall, I mounted one of the Pedersoli sights on it. I was not planning on doing any competative shooting. I did have a problem with the small hole. As stated, I have a set of tip drills, and did select the one I thought most appropriate. I did blacken it with a sharpie. It worked just fine. I had no trouble shooting with the sight. It worked just great for what I bought it for. It stayed in place. It did not lose it's zero, raising it up to the shooting position, or laying it down in its resting position. It didn't bend over sideways by itself, being the cheap sight that it was.
It DID have exessive play in the elevation and windage adjustments. I do not understand why this is such a big deal though. If one notes the elevation mark needed, say for 200 yards from a 100 yard zero, the play in the adjustment screws does not matter. Just move the elevation to the proper mark, and lock in place.
Anyway, I have moved on to a scope sight, and no longer use the Pedersoli.
I did make me a delrin cleaning rod that would go between the two staff uprights.
This did solve my problem of the cleaning rod NOT clearing the sight when it was folded down. I never once had any problem with the rod moving the cheap Pedersoli sight staff out of adjustment or off of zero when cleaning my HighWall in this mannor.
If I was to decide to start shooting competition with this rifle, I would opt for a better made sight with better/tighter tolerances.
Just some things to think about.
Jack

Kenny Wasserburger
06-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Frankly,

And I am known for that, Frankness, Compared to a Baldwin, MVA, Hoke, Kelly, even the Parts Unknown is a much higher Quality of sight. Pedersoli's Sights are Junk. They build a decent rifle, why they can't build a decent sight is beyond me.

You Never and I mean Never see one in the winners Circle. FWIW.

The Lunger
KW

montana_charlie
06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Yep, there is a select group of guys who will pounce on every opportunity to say that. Sometimes (like this time) they take a surprisingly long time to show up, but they can be counted on just like the sunrise.

The question is ,
The rifle I am thinking of installing it in has a short tang and to get it installed I will have to either cut out part of the cheekpiece or install where I cannot get my hand around the pistol grip.
Any help appreciated
The sight is set in a base, and the base is cut to fit the rifle.
In some cases the sight will be pretty far forward (Winchesters) and therefore higher in relation to the bore that others (Sharps) where the pivot point is further back.

It is the relation to the bore that answers your question, and can only be determined after you mount the base on the tang.

Like Mr. McDowell said, if you can set the elevation low enough to 'look through' your regular sights, that should answer your question.

Having seen your pictures, you may end up shortening that Pedersoli base a half-inch, or so, to fit better on your tang.

CM

Kenny Wasserburger
06-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Charle,

I have hosted matches since 1996 on the ranch, seen folks struggle with those sights and be very very unhappy with them in a match setting. Thats a fact, I deal in those period! Dress em up put all the lipstick on em you want, a T--d is still a T---d. They are user unfriendly and difficult to run in a fast pace setting. That Honest years of observation. And years of Match shooting observations is something you dont have friend.

If you dont like Honesty then recon you dont need to read my posts.

The Lunger

EDG
06-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Not many people shoot in matches. Most sight in and leave them.
The super elcheapo Pedersoli will do that and fold down out of the way on most rifles. The more expensive Pedersoli Soule sigh has the hinge point set too low with the long extended apertue. It does not fold down so well especially if the elevation puts the eye piece right on the point of the comb.
Given the $250 to $400 price tag of the "right" sights most people will just do without.

Kenny Wasserburger
06-08-2012, 11:13 PM
EDG,
I spose your right, Guess I just never could figure why spend the money for a decent rifle then go all cheapoo on sights. But you see it even with modern Rifles and junk scopes a lot at the local ranges.

Most of my experience is of course with people coming first time to a match and finding out their equipment is not even remotely up to the task. Be very upset and not have a good first time out, some never return and park the rifle in a closet or sell it.

I often at known ranges varry my elevation on a given day due to temp and light and humidity a good bit. So lock and leave it is not in my dope book, at extended ranges this is much more of an effect I will say.

Excellent windage correction and repeatablity are paramount even for just shooting for fun in my book. Of course it all depends on how much you want to personally spend as you pointed out.

Case in point couple years back at Alliance, fella asked me about the MVA XLR sight So I got mine out showed it too him, he asked the cost, told me it was too expensive, he could not afford that, while he was pulling a Cancer Nail outa his shirt pocket pack. While he lit up, i asked him how much he smoked a day, straight out said a pack and half. I mentioned thats about 6 bucks a day, 60 every 10 days or 180 a month. $560 every 3 months, well over 2 grand a year?? he just said, well umm ahhh well, I said you can afford over 2000 a year for those things? Mr I told him, your an Idiot.

KW
The Lunger

Don McDowell
06-08-2012, 11:20 PM
For the type of shooting some do, these lock and leave em sights work ok.. But even in the most rudimentry gong matches, a loose,sloppy or hard to adjust sight will leave a person in a slump. at 800 yds a couple of hundreths slop in a sight will throw an otherwise good shot off target.I had a parts unknown borchardt sight that would throw itself off of a 15 inch target at 300.
It's not uncommon at places like the Quigley to encounter bright eyed bushytailed first time shooters with their new rifle and the pedersoli/uberti sights. By the end of the first day they'll already be talking about the things they need for the next time, and by the end of the match on Sunday there's a better than average chance you'll see them strolling along with a new set of MVA's or at the very least an MVA catalog complete with order form...

45bpcr
06-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Hey Johnboy,
I know homer!
I also own one Pedersoli rifle equiped with thier sights, a Gibbs. I installed a hadley eye cup on it and it's - usable. I don't shoot the gibbs in any matches though, it's just a fun gun.
My Browning Creedmoor has the stock AMT sights and they work well.
My Sharps 1874 has a MVA #101 with a Magnum Hadley eye cup and is a wonderfull instrament to use.

I found that with the Pedersoli sight, the angle of the staff in relation to elevation was key to a good sight picture due to the lenght or depth of the eye cup's mounting "tube" As elevation increases your looking down through the tube at the front site and getting a fuzzy sight picture. There is a set screw in the sight base to adjust this, and for recreational shooting works well. I think I'd have a hard time with it in a match though. Heck, I have a hard time in a match anyways :-)

I'll try to post some pics tonite of what I'm talking about.

45bpcr

The last pic is looking back to the firing line from Homer

Beekeeper
06-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Thank you for the info Charlie!
And thank the rest of you for your comments!
The rifle will never be shot in any kind of a competition and is my fun rifle.
I kind of use it as a test bed for other projects.
It was never designed for a vernier sight so a test and trials period is what I am doing.
I realize most of you have Sharps and Remingtons with the latest and greatest gear on them but I have a question for you.
"Did you start out BP shooting with the Latest and greatest " or did you gradually learn what is best for you in particular and gravitate to it?
Since I fired my first BP round less than a year ago and the rifle is not up to your standard (being a Martini.Mauser which seems to have gotten lost in the conversation) I think the Pedersoli will do just fine to start and will give me insight into vernier sights which is what I was looking for to start with.
Thank you all for your comments and help.
If I ever get it to work I will post pics and data of it
Thanks again ,all

beekeeper

John Boy
06-09-2012, 10:18 AM
45bpcr ... Your pictures give folks a good idea of what a sight picture looks like for a 1000yd range. Few BPCR shooters experience this: a pin head dot of Homer even in good light conditions and the challenge sighting in on an 48" x 82" silhouette that is half the visual size when Homer goes into the shadows after 11:00AM. A NRA 1000yd target is 72" x 72" for comparison. When the Whooong sound comes back down to the firing line though - Sweet Music! Even Sweeter driving up to Homer and there a lead splashes in the 20" Bullseye (last year's size). Prior years I painted the a 10" bullseye

How'd you like the 2011 paint job I gave Homer? I give him a new paint job each year and last year thought it was fitting to paint his hoofs! He sure does look ratty this year... Major refreshment needed!

Question - looking back from Homer in your picture ... what did the club do in front of Homer with the 'fans' across the range? Guess I'll have to find out the details in a couple of weeks ... my first 2012 trip to Ridgway.

Even am going to bring my Swiss K31 with 190gr VLD's to test my eyes on the coyotes on the 1000yd high bore range. Will have a 308 with a scope for a back up. In total, 1000+ reloads plus 22LR BP reloads. About a dozen rifles in total. And of course, the majority as BPCR rifles

re: Your fuzzy ocular sight picture. This is due to the vernier not being perfectly shimmed to have it exactly vertically/horizontally in plumb. You need to use 2 bubble levels to make the determination: 1 on the receiver and the other on the vernier staff. You'll probably have to shim the vernier base to bring all into plumb and into alignment with the front sight. Then the fuzziness goes away. FYI - also if you want to... plumb the vernier about an 1/8th of a bubble out of plumb on the right side. This will compensate for Coriolis Drift at 1000yds - about 3 MOA's
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/SpinandCoriolisDrift.htm

Kenny Wasserburger
06-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Johnboy its spin drift Aka Precession, due to the bullet twisting to the right as it bites into the air. Coriolis is for the spin of the earth that effect does show up at a mile unless you run a east west target north south you see some of it.

KW
the Lunger

John Boy
06-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Kenny - your right and thanks for the correction from 'the Master' ...
Having a left or right twist will change the direction of gyroscopic drift. Bullets fired from right twist barrels drift to the right, and vise versa by the same amount, typically 8-9 inches at1000 yards for small arms trajectories. Gyroscopic drift is an interaction of the bullets mass and aerodynamics with the atmosphere that it’s flying in. Gyroscopic drift depends on the properties (density) of the atmosphere, but has nothing to do with the earth’s rotation.

Don McDowell
06-09-2012, 10:54 AM
If you sort of keep watch, the ranges that are shot facing north, the scores are usually a bit better than those facing south. Or so it seems to me anyway..

45bpcr
06-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Here's what I was talking about concerning the "thickness" of the Pedersoli sight.
Pic#69 is the Pedersoli
#70 is the MVA and # 71 is the AMT

When looking through the rear sight on the Pedersoli your looking through a "tube" that's nearly 3/4 of an inch long. The MVA and AMT are closer to 5/16ths of an inch.

At close range this is not to much of a problem as the rear sight is nearly on the same plane as the front sight. However, at longer ranges you'll have to "look down" at the front sight through that long tube.

For instance, in pics #76 and #77 the rear sight is adjusted for 500yds. We're gonna assume that the ruler is square with the sight staff. You can see that your actually looking over the front sight Pic #75 shows the screw that adjusts the vertical plumb of the sight. With elevation setting for longer ranges that screw can be turned out to "aim" the rear sight at the front one, but you still have the 3/4 long tunnel to look through.

Finally in pic #74 accurate, repeatable elevation adjustments can be made using the calipers you have on your loading bench.

I hope this helps in your decision

My 1st BPCR rifle was my 45-90 Browning Creedmoor. I wanted a 45-70 but got the 45-90 NIB for the same price. Didn't know at the time Browning only made 330 of em :-)

Might as well start out with what yer gonna end up with,

45bpcr

EDG
06-09-2012, 04:51 PM
We always seem to get competitive shooters trying to tell fun shooters what it takes to have fun.

wyoduster
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Ok .. Now I need a sight too... I'm fighting with that long tube too and never realized the difference.. THANKS!
45bpcr Those pictures are SUPER!

My question.. The Kelly sight sure is pretty what do you think of them? Just because of looks I was thinking one of those...
What about Lee Shaver sights?

Don McDowell
06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
If you're shooting short to midrange, and don't need alot of windage, don't overlook the MVA 130. Reasonably priced and exceptional quality. I have on for my lowall 22 for match shooting.

45bpcr
06-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Curiosity got the better of me so I did some looking around.

The cheapest Pedersoli sight I found was $165.00 at Brownells

http://item.brownells.com/categories/pedersoli-davide-c-sights/creedmoor-rear-tang-sights-universal-long-range-3-tang-sight.htm

You can buy the Lee Shaver Economy sight for $225.00

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/-strse-46/sharps-1874-model-long/Detail.bok

Kelly and MVA sights will be approx $450.00 /$500.00 depending on what you buy.

Then I saw this Kelly sight - shawiing!
I think this will be my next sight to replace the AMT on my Browning.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Kelley_Sights_pr-4622.aspx

It's funny sometimes how we look at money. Like buying optics
Did I buy a Nightforce or such for my F rifles?
No Way!! To much money !
I bought a Sightron SIII 10x50X for only $980.00 to save money.

45Bpcr

wyoduster
06-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Yea that kelly sight sure is awesome looking. I love the case coloring.. There's one on a Sharps at a Gun shop south of Concord,NH , really nice setup. I Believe I also will have one on one of my Shiloh's shortly..

plourbag
06-16-2012, 05:21 AM
Kenny,
I agree wholeheartedly. Bought two Pedersoli's with tang sights (different models - both rubbish). I've stuck one on a fun 12.7 x 44 rolling block and still not sure what to do with the other. Both rifles are fine, in fact they're great, but sights are not up to scratch.

montana_charlie
06-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Bought two Pedersoli's with tang sights (different models - both rubbish).
Which models were they?

Were those rifles new when purchased?
If so, you are basing your opinion on the 'giveaway' sights Pedersoli includes in some of their Rifle 'packages'. They exist as 'window dressing' to make the rifle more visually appealing to the new shooter who wants to satisfy a preconceived notion about Sharps rifles.

You are not alone. Probably, the majority of people who have a poor opinion of Pedersoli sights formed that opinion after experience with the same 'giveaways'.

But, Pedersoli makes many sights, and the higher end units are at least 'serviceable' enough for general use and intermittant competition.

CM

drcook
06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
I bought a Sightron SIII 10x50X for only $980.00 to save money.

Sightron uses the same glass, produced by the same folks as Leupold. I have 2 of the higher end Sightron SIII's on long range 308's. Bought 2 for not much more than 1 equivalent Leupold does.

Pedersoli did a redesign on their better grade soule sights to take the slop out of the staff. It would physically rock sideways back and forth changing your windage. The problem was not in the adjustment screw, but in the base attachment.

The other problem with them is that they are fragile. They are MIM castings and if you bump them good enough they will shatter.

As folks have stated above, the Lee Shaver economy grade sight is a better deal for the casual shooter than a Pedersoli. I would assume you could buy extra eye cups and have them drilled to different sizes the same way the Browning BPCR sight was equipped.

With a Pedersoli, you have a proprietary design for the way the eye cup screws in. With the domestic manufacturers, you can use different eye cups on different sights as long as the thread pitch is the same

You got to keep in mind that your rifle might be capable of 1 hole groups, but if the dang sight is sub par, you won't be able to realize the accuracy and will soon not be having fun, blaming it on the rifle, instead of the sight that you went cheap on.

hightime
06-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Are you guys saying these are not good sights?

Owen

drcook
06-20-2012, 08:30 PM
That is not the sight that is shipped with the rifles. The ones that are JUNK are the cheap ones they simply stick in the box. They must buy them from China or somewhere. I even had one on a Pedersoli roller that didn't have a hole drilled in the eyecup.

There are 2 issues with that sight. 1 it is fragile. Don't drop the rifle and have it hit that sight. It can fracture. Here is a link to a post with pics that shows what happens

http://forums.handloads.com/archive/forum_posts.asp?TID=16755

the 2nd is that you have to buy their Hadley eye cup if you want one

Since they fixed them so that they don't wobble, they are accurate and work good. As I mentioned, they have only those 2 issues.

hightime
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
I bought this one at Cabellas. It is a Pedersoli.

Owen

montana_charlie
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
With a Pedersoli, you have a proprietary design for the way the eye cup screws in. With the domestic manufacturers, you can use different eye cups on different sights as long as the thread pitch is the same

That's true, but IF you own a Pedersoli eyecup made for their better grade of sights, it can be modified to work with other brands of sight.

I had a Pedersoli Hadley when I ordered a Lee Shaver Economy Soule.
I modified the eyecup to fit a standard 12-40 thread and had Shaver thread the sight to take it.

More recently, I bought a Heilman soule sight (didn't like the Shaver), and his standard thread is 12-40.
(Sometimes called 7/32 x 40, it's also standard for Williams, Redfield, and Lyman aperture sights.)

This is what you do ... remove Section A at Point X and cut threads on Section B.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/montana_charlie/Eyepiece.jpg

CM

drcook
06-22-2012, 12:18 PM
CM,

Ron Heilman makes the slides for me a little thicker so I can see them. My eyes changed to where I can't focus from the distance of a computer monitor back to my nose. The hazards of writing software for a living for 25 years.

I have a bunch of his soule sights. All work well.

That is good for people to know, (ie: modifying the Pedersoli Hadley)

EDG
07-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Are you guys saying these are not good sights?

Owen

Here are a few of my observations. You can determine if they are worthwhile.

1. You will notice in your photo the sight hinge point is very low. The distance from the staff to the rear face of the eye piece is long. This prevents the sight from laying down where you can clean your rifle easily.

2. The sight has a lot of slop in all the parts of the elevation slide assembly. When the aperture is loosened to adjust elevation it can move around an excessive amount. When retightened there is no guarantee that the windage or elevation will go back where it should.

Bent Ramrod
07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I would say that for "fun" shooting, the ladder sights on the barrel of a Martini, Rolling Block or Peabody (or for that matter, a Pedersoli or even a Shiloh Sharps) are fine. The low-cost tang sights work equally well, and add some cool factor if that is needed.

I blast away offhand at 50, 100, 200 and sometimes 300 yards all the time with such sights, and even with the standard buckhorns with the sliding stairstep elevator. If you can stay satisfied with this kind of shooting, any of these sights are fine.

I fired my first Silhouette match with a Garrett Sharps Carbine in .45-70, with the ladder barrel sight and Pyrodex loads. Hits were rare, but I did come in 3rd on the 300-meter stage. (Obviously, this match was not the Nationals.)

The problem started when the winner of the match decided to stay after and "test some loads" in his 1875 C. Sharps. I succumbed to a fatal curiosity and stayed to watch. He used an Outers Rest and put seven shots into a hand span at 500 meters. Suddenly my "minute of deer at 150 yards" equipment, while still fun to shoot, was somehow lacking in something. It took several more years, but the fact that I was already taking the time to load the cartridges, the (now black) powder was getting more expensive, the shooting effort was the same, and yet here was an obvious way to get much more value added in the results, eventually won me over.

It's kind of like giving your cat a can of that expensive cat food and then expecting him to go back to the cheap tuna you've fed him before. Maybe he will, but not happily, and he will let you know his dissatisfaction in a lot of ways.

I still take the old "collector's items" out for a workout once in a while, but I am more and more addicted to that breathless three seconds between the "BOOM!" of the rifle and the "CLANG!" coming back from a distant metal target. And I don't hear that noise nearly often enough unless I have a good rifle and good sights with reproducible settings.

So, Beekeeper, by all means use what you want, and have fun shooting, but if you see anybody shooting "for serious" at your local range, flee, as fast as you can.:wink:

Beekeeper
07-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Bentramrod,
Been there , done that.
For me it is fun to watch but I do not have the desire to compete, even in a buffalo match.
For me shooting is a way to have fun and the Match shooters are way too serious.
I started shooting BP just to see the diference between it and smokeless.
That desire has not changed even tho I have been to numerous BP matches.
I have even used my old junkers to introduce several shooters I know to the black arts so I just do it for fun.
Like I told Big Ted I shot the last match I will ever shoot 16 March 1963 and have never changed my mind nor missed it.

beekeeper

hightime
07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
I guess it would be nice if it layed back farther at this range setting, but I've never felt it was an issue for cleaning. 'til now. I also don't feel any amout of slop you speek of.
I suppose it could be better, and I just don't know any better.

Owen

EDG
07-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I guess it would be nice if it layed back farther at this range setting, but I've never felt it was an issue for cleaning. 'til now. I also don't feel any amout of slop you speek of.
I suppose it could be better, and I just don't know any better.

Owen

Hi Owen,
Your eye piece will be snug when it is locked. If you loosen it to adjust the elevation it will be loose if you try to wiggle it, at least mine is. The slop does not bother me a lot because I don't not jack the elevation up and down like a competitor. It really bugs me to have the sight in the way of a cleaning rod though.

montana_charlie
07-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi Owen,
Your eye piece will be snug when it is locked. If you loosen it to adjust the elevation it will be loose if you try to wiggle it, at least mine is.
Which model do you have?

CM

EDG
07-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi Charlie,
I have at least one each of the Pedersoli sights except for the offset sight.
1. I first noticed it in a LR Soule sight that I got as part of a wood boxed set from Dick Trenk.
2. The second sight is the precision or competition model that came on a Pedersoli deluxe rifle. It is the version with the dual windage adjustment. The bottom adjustment is locked by a precision dovetail if you have photos to reference.
3. The 3rd is a single windage sight. The staff has no windage at the base. The only windage travels with the elevation slide similar to a Sharps style sight.
All the sights above have the wiggle. A good bit of it is due to the aperture shank being threaded into a dinky little loose tab that serves as a nut. (This tab is easily lost and would be easy to strip) The rest of the wiggle comes from elevation slide clearance to the staff and clearance between the front elevation slid and the rear half of the slide. These parts are aligned by roll pins pressed into the front piece and a running clearance fit into the rear component of the elevation slide.

The Pedersoli basic sight has the same slop. These sights are the inexpensive sights that come on so many Pedersoli rifles. These sights only have a "slip and slide" windage set by loosening the aperture and sliding the tab and aperture back and forth.

montana_charlie
07-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi Charlie,
I have at least one each of the Pedersoli sights except for the offset sight.
Thanks for the clear descriptions.

CM