PDA

View Full Version : 9mm vs mag primers

mdr8088
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I've not been able to find the Tuluammo small pistol primers recently, they're out of stock everywhere I've looked. I've gotten into useing them, because they fit the budget better. I have been able to find the small pistol magnum primers. I was wondering if anyone had tried useing them, and if so how did it work? I usually load Unique behind my cast bulets, and haven't had any problems.

dnotarianni
06-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Can't answer for Tula primers but with Win I got about 30fps faster on the chrony

DAve

LUBEDUDE
06-06-2012, 10:42 AM
I use Federal Mags for 38s. Really helps on the extra cold days in the winter.

Unless you are loading at Max levels, there should be no problems.

mdr8088
06-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys, Just wanted to get some feed back and see if anyone had problems with useing mag primers in 9mm.

Who's this Guy ?
06-07-2012, 02:54 AM
I've noticed better ignition when used and cleaner cases.

Multigunner
06-07-2012, 04:21 AM
I tried small rifle primers in .38 Special when the shop ran out of small pistol primers.
I did not have any failures to fire but did have one case of incomplete ignition.
Apparently the tougher primer cup was to stout for the hammer fall of my old Colt, causing a diminished primer flame.

I tried out some milsurp 9mm rounds many years ago and found they required three strikes from the hammer of my P-35 before they would go off. I'm fairly sure these were SMG cartridges, possiby Italian. They had truncated cone Cupro-Nickel bullets, and when they did go off the recoil was a lot stronger than any other 9mm ammo I've run across before or since. The effect on the muddy ground behind the target was impressive, velocity must have been near that of a full house .357 Magnum load.

So long as your hammer or striker fall is strong enough using a Magnum primer might work okay, but it may raise chamber pressure a bit as well.

MasS&W
06-07-2012, 10:19 AM
From what I've read there is absolutely no difference between any type of primer EXCEPT thickness of the cup. Therefore, the only two things you need to consider are "will my gun set it off?" And "Is my pressure high enough to warrant mag primers, or rifle primers". I have used federal std primers in my 357 mag, and didn't have any issues.

Prag
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
I've reloaded and shot a few thousand 124 gr Berry's Bullets over 5.4 grs of Unique using Wolf Magnum small pistol primers with no issues.

This is out of my Glock 19 fwiw.

I've also had good luck with them for some (only a few hundred so far) .38 spl 148 gr DEWC's.

I agree that the Tula and Wolf primers are a good alternative for practice ammo.