PDA

View Full Version : PdX1

429421Cowboy
06-05-2012, 03:46 AM
Ok had to pick the most likely forum to post this in, there isn't really a place to post about general shooting questions! But i digress in the interest of time!

I bought a collection of ammo from a friends brother since he had to sell his 12 gauge and .30/06 and in the ammo was one box of Winchester PDX1 shells, the kind with 3 OO buck pellets and a 1oz slug. So maybe somebody here is thinking something i'm not but i guess i don't see the point in them, if the slug lands the buck would be kinda pointless, and if the slug misses one or two OO roundballs isn't going to do a whole lot to a deer or BG. I may use it to fill a doe tag this fall, but to be honest most of our shotgun killed deer get taken with buckshot in the head because lead through the meat grinder makes an awful racket! So that doesn't fit into how we hunt, plus it would seem that they would just ruin good meat if a heart/lung shot was taken, and i wouldn't count on three pellets to take down a deer if the slug missed.
Even more confusing to me is the self defence role that it is sold to fill, as a slug makes NO sense indoors and in an outside setting i would rather have a rifle at extended range and i don't think the buckshot would help any at the longer ranges.

Enlighten me!

I did also get 55 Federal Truball slugs, 50 rounds of Winchester OOB, 15 Hornady Superformance OOB, a box of 1 1/4oz 3" rifled slugs (new bear loads for the camp gun!) a 50rd box of 158 .38 spl rn, a new box of /06 Barnes 165 all copper rounds, a box of /06 Cor Locts and 3 rounds each of pointless dragons breath and flechette rounds, (with the original price tag of $20/3 on them!!) and two shotgun shell belts for a little over $100 which isn't bad if ya ask me.

35remington
06-05-2012, 06:57 PM
A modern version of the old "buck and ball" load.

Ever see a video of one of these going through gelatin? The slug makes a big cavity, and the buck following behind go whizzing through at higher than normal speed because of the cavity left by the slug, which is still open to a large degree.

Makes some nasty wound profiles at ranges where the buck and slug land close together.

Watch the buck and ball go through the gelatin later in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lda2vkf6F9U

429421Cowboy
06-05-2012, 11:43 PM
I have actually watched that video several times and i can see more point to the six pellet buck and ball, three pellets doesn't seem like it adds a whole lot and it's not like a desire more lethality than a slug anyways. I also got some of the dragons breath and flechette rounds shown in that vid, i never would pay the $20/3 price tag for them in real life but i am curious to see what they will do even if they don't have a real purpose in my opinion.