PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Charger

ubetcha
06-04-2012, 09:03 PM
How many people have a Ruger Charger?I was thinking about getting one for my IHMSA small bore matches.I have heard that they can be a 40x40 shooter almost right out of the box,so it's said.Any specific brand of ammo they prefer?

Norbrat
06-05-2012, 03:11 AM
A bloke at our club got one to shoot IHMSA.

As it doesn't come with sights, it only qualifies as an unlimited gun, either fitted with aftermarket sights or a scope.

He fitted it with a scope so uses it in UAS.

We also put this kit http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27132/avs|Make~~Model_1=Ruger__10zz1zz22/prcrange=25|79.99/Product/RUGER-reg-10-22-reg-ACCESSORY-PACK through it to make it easier to drop the slide and remove the mag.

While we were in there, we polished a few parts and cut a couple of springs to get the trigger weight and creep down to a more sensible level.

He likes shooting it and gets scores in the low to mid 30's, which is pretty well his skill level so he is happy.

Basically, it's a 10/22, so plenty of info and aftermarket bits and pieces available.

buck1
06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I had one. It would do 1" at 25 yd from a rest with almost anything but not better with reguardless of ammo choice. I traded it off . For me it was the answer to the question no one asked. As norbrat said its a 10/22 and parts are the same.

Forrest r
06-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Realistically, it’s hard to beat a contender for ihmsa. There are plenty of different bbl lengths/configurations/weights to satisfy most shooters needs. They have an excellent sight sets for them along with scope mounts. And the triggers can safely be brought down into the 14 oz range.

ubetcha
06-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I do have T/C with a 22 match barrel.Just haven't used it much yet.I'm just kind of intrigued with the Charger

Forrest r
06-05-2012, 11:58 PM
You're going down a silppery slope!!!

You're wallet will be intrueged by all the aftermarket parts.

You will find that the bbl on the charger only has a so called match chamber (bentz) which is not a very good chamber. The bolt will nedd to be reworked:
Bolt reworked= changing the radius on the back of the bolt to lighten it to reset with lighter match ammo & let the hammer hit the fp squarely. Then reshaping the fp and pinning the fp so it can't rise up & give a shell a partial fp hit/stike causing a squib round. Then there's a little trigger work to do. Kidd & Volquartsen are about the best in the business & can only produce triggers in the 1 1/2# pull range for around $300. So if you can get a trigger to safely do better than that you should start your own business.

The contender has better bbl's, sights, triggers & stocks/grips & the trigger in the contender can be safely lowered to the 14oz range with nothing more than a piece of spring from a big lighter that's been a hair (start with 3 coils) longer than the stock spring.

By the time you get done buying a charger & then buying/doing all the mods on it you could of bought a Anschutz exemplar.

Silver Eagle
06-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I have never shot one myself. However, I have seen plenty of them in the used cases in the stores. That alone has told me to leave them there!
I did buy the CZ 455 American after comparing it with others and reading a lot of online reviews and posts over at Rimfire Central. If I miss with it it is my fault, not the rifles.

Silver Eagle

dale2242
06-06-2012, 07:19 AM
I`m with forrest_r. I shot IHMSA for a number of years, and used a Tender for most of my shooting.
For the price they are hard to beat.
Besides, they are just a fun gun. Be prepared for another addiction....dale

7br
06-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I have shot exactly one of the early models. It had a lawyer trigger that required two men and a small child to pull it. Not sure what the triggers are like now and how hard they are to fix. My experience, your mileage may vary. If you have to have it, go for it. However, if I wanted a semi auto ruger, I would go with a 10" MKII.

crowbuster
06-06-2012, 01:23 PM
well, I love mine. dont shoot any comp. with it but it is minute of chipmonk all day long. Shot sum p.d.s with it as well, limited only by the bushnell red dot on it. It likes anything from bulk federal to stingers, I would buy another, the kids love it as well.

tenx
06-08-2012, 06:26 AM
built a 'charger' type 22 from a moa corp stainless reciever, lother walther barrel and a moa laminated stock. the reciever is threaded for the barrel and has an extra stock mounting/bedding anchor point at the rear of the reciever. thats why i chose the moa stock because their stock is made for the extra angeled bedding screw. can't say enough good things about it, shoots most anything well and eley extremely well. i have a couple of guns that have a very high fun factor and this is one of them. i personally think the extra rigidity from the threaded barrel v/s slip fit and the second bedding point make all the difference. i don't want to say how tight it shoot, some of you may think i'm prone to exageration but within the limitations of a 2x6 redfield pistol scope it will shoot with most rifles. a little spendier than a charger but you get what you pay for.

paul h
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
It's a darn shame we have the 1986 machine gun law, because a select fire charger would be about as fun as it gets.

Griz44mag
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
I bought one several years ago and use it to snipe turtles on the 2 ponds at our hunting spot in the summer. I dremeled the bolt hold open plate to make it a release on pull, polished and stretched the hammer/sear/spring setup, polished the internals to run a lot smoother and shoot the heck out of it. If the turtle hangs still for a few seconds, he is DRT. Sniping is 10-50 yards, and the Charger is accurate enough to take a head off 9 out of 10 times. I likes Federal match the best of everything I have tried in it. I lay it over a soft fabric fold out camp chair while sitting on the ground. It has a 2X red dot on it now. I couldn't be happier with it.

ubetcha
06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I`m with forrest_r. I shot IHMSA for a number of years, and used a Tender for most of my shooting.
For the price they are hard to beat.
Besides, they are just a fun gun. Be prepared for another addiction....dale

I know what it's about with the T/C barrel addiction.I have 5 already,but only one reciever.I think I should purchase another reciever instead of a Charger.

Shooter
06-09-2012, 06:16 PM
I know what it's about with the T/C barrel addiction.I have 5 already,but only one reciever.I think I should purchase another reciever instead of a Charger.

Yeah, I thought that would help too.
You become like a junkie looking for his next fix, hey, I don't have that caliber!
Soon, someone gives you a box of ammo, and the barrel search starts again.:twisted:

ubetcha
06-10-2012, 12:21 PM
My barrels only consist of a
10" 22lr match
10" 357mag (shotshell design w/removable choke)
10" 44mag
14" 30-30 win(my favorite)
16" 223
I won't mind more,but I can't use them all at the same time.

paul h
06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Keep your eyes peeled for a 10" 221 fireball.