PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894C or Cowboy

Powellcole5490
06-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Hello,

I'm VERY interested in getting me a .357 lever action! I'm more interested in it than I want my wife to know! I want to get a Marlin and so I'm interested in the 1894C and the cowboy version. I would love to have the octagon barrel but that alone is not a real selling point for me. I'm interested in your opinions of how cast boolits shoot out of each of these weapons. I've heard the 1894C with the micro-groove barrel is worthless to shoot with cast boolits, but I've also heard otherwise. I was told the cowboy version with the other type of grooves (can't remember the name now) is much better for all ammo especially cast boolits. What do ya'll think? I plan on loading them up with the lyman 358156 mold with a gas check. So how will that affect accuracy? Am I over analyzing this? I plan on using this rifle as a jack of all trades. Plinking, coyote, hog (if I can find a place), and possibly deer depending on how close I can get. Thanks for your advice in advance!!

wv109323
06-04-2012, 02:15 PM
The Micro-groove barrel will shoot cast bullets well. The problem with the Micro-groove barrels is that Marlin keep changing the dimensions and twist rate of the barrels even within the same caliber.
To get a Micro-groove barrel to shoot you must determine the bore size and twist rate and then adjust your reloads to be compatable to your barrel. Microgroove barrels usually need a bullet .002 to.004" over the nominal diameter. Also bullet configuration and velocity must be compatible with twist rate.
With that said you may never get a particular bullet to shoot well out of a Micro-groove. With the mold you mentioned you may not get a bullet sized as-cast over .358. If your barrel needs a .360 bullet you may never get the .358 to shoot well.
I reackon what I am trying to say is that Marlin made all of their Micro-groove barrels "female". That means that they require a little extra thought and maintenance to love them.
A lot of shooters did not understand what it takes to get an early Marlin to shoot thus the bad reputation.

EDK
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I got an 1894c shortly after they came out in the '80s? I have a 24 inch Cowboy and a 20 inch; both octagon. I prefer the 24, but that's just me.

Your choice is more likely to be an 1894c or a 20 inch Cowboy. The 24 inch guns get some ridiculous prices on gunbroker, etc. (Check out sassnet.com for used guns and you might luck into a used 24 inch at a decent price...I did.) Your choice is going to be largely due to price and/or availability.

Glenn Fryxell's article on 1894 MARLINS over at lasc.us will answer a lot of your reloading questions. Also some reading over at marlinowners.com. The 357 is USUALLY not overly sensitive to bullet nose configuration, BUT... I like the NOE 360 180 WFN...among others...but it works well with a lot of different designs.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

ReloaderFred
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I've got both, and shoot both with almost nothing but cast bullets. I size mine to .358" and they shoot straight and true.

If you're going to carry your lever gun for hunting, the 1894C is slightly lighter, if that makes a difference. I like the way my 1894 CB swings with the extra barrel weight, though.

You won't go wrong with either of them. I've shot both with cast bullets from 105 grains up to 185 grains, and they all work fine through mine.

Hope this helps.

Fred

signsrup
06-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Powell,
Not all 94c's are microgroove. I have a "c", with the crossbolt safety, and it's got 6 groove ballard rifling.

Eric

Powellcole5490
06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow, a lot of information. EDK, you're probably looking to get rid of one of those beauties right? I promise I buy it off you real cheap! JK. Thanks guys!!

EDK
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Wow, a lot of information. EDK, you're probably looking to get rid of one of those beauties right? I promise I buy it off you real cheap! JK. Thanks guys!!

With one I DO, I got eight kids, 20+ grand children and a cat! That was 17 years ago. There are step children and grand childen lusting after the contents of my gun safe. The more knowledgable are drooling on the SHILOH SHARPS and some of the Cowboy rifles.

IF you lived closer, I could package you a deal on the 20 inch Cowboy.

Hurricane
06-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Don't worry about the rifling, either style will shoot well if the boolit fits the barrel properly. More important is the length, weight, and overall feel of the rifle and don't forget the all important "good looks" of the gun. I find the octoginal barrels are a little heavy for me and the 18 1/2 inch barrel is a little short for me. I will probably end up with a 20" barrel when I finely get one. Since it is a Marlin, you know it is a quality rifle. Just pick the one that feels and looks the best for you.

Powellcole5490
06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
With one I DO, I got eight kids, 20+ grand children and a cat! That was 17 years ago. There are step children and grand childen lusting after the contents of my gun safe. The more knowledgable are drooling on the SHILOH SHARPS and some of the Cowboy rifles.

IF you lived closer, I could package you a deal on the 20 inch Cowboy.

Well maybe I'll get really lucky and the military will send me that way soon....not likely though.

FergusonTO35
06-09-2012, 01:52 AM
I have an 1894c from the early 80's with micro groove, it shoots cast and jacketed quite well. It seems like the micro groove .357 does better than the .44 or .30 WCF with cast overall.