PDA

View Full Version : Willams fire sight on 30/30 336

makicjf
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I am thinking about putting one on my marlin 336. This is a great and accurate little rifle, it spends a lot of time in the rifle scabbard on my saddle. I want to increase on target time. Has anybody used on on a 336? I am intending to buy the set of the rear and colored front sight. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jason

fishnbob
06-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I would appreciate hearing some input on this as well. I need to do something to help me see to shoot open sights.

pietro
06-04-2012, 07:15 PM
While they are great sights, and a real help to those with vision issues, they won't take abuse, and need to be protected.

I've been using FO sights since they were 1st introduced, and have yet to break one myself - but others have reported doing so.

While I don't use a front sight hood, I would heartily recommend the use of one with any rifle sporting an FO front sight - especially if the owner plans on letting it ride in a scabbard.
Williams Gun Sight Co makes a special FO sight hood with a large hole cut into it's roof, but there's no reason any gun owner couldn'r alter theie rifle's issue sight hood appropriately.

The hole is sorely needed, to admit enough light to allow the FO to operate properly until it's too dark to shoot.

FYI, FO front sight beads for rifles are available in at least two colors (red or green), three sizes like Ivory or Gold beads (1/16", 3/32", 1/8") from various makers (Williams, TruGlo, Hi-Viz, T/C), and in multiple heights to suit your needs.

They are also available in either a medium (M) base width to fit sight ramps, or a wide (W) base for mounting directly in a barrel dovetail.

06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I use a set of the Williams Fire Sights on my SKS and they sure make it quick and easy to line up on a target, paper or otherwise. While they work good with old eyes, they loose fine definition on the target. It's bright and easy to see, alright, but they can be too bright and "glow" over the POI. I wouldn't ever get rid of mine. They are fantastic. Morning or evening is when they, forgive the pun, shine. In non-midday lighting, they are suitable for fine and selective work. When it's bright, like the middle of the day, they are really bright. YMMV

nanuk
06-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I use them on my muzzleloader in the bush

fabulous sight for low light

06-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Have a set on my Guide Gun. I like them...

makicjf
06-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks! I was less interested in the "DayGlo" feature and far more interested in a rugged inexpensive peep sight. I had something similiar on a muzzleloader and the brightness blurred into the notch and made fine point aiming impossible. I was hoping having a peep might allay that problem. Sounds like it does not. This is a horseback scabbard mounted "working" gun. While I try not to abuse it and take care of it it is far from a safe queen. What are some other, rugged reasonably priced options?
Thanks,
Jason

pietro
06-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Half-inch wide, white medical adhesive tape. :guntootsmiley:

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0481.jpg?t=1337623291

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

6.5 mike
06-06-2012, 02:01 AM
I have a green fiber optic front & williams 5d rear on one of my '94s. Works very well for me. I drilled the fac front sight hood to allow more light in. IIRC used a #30 bit, 3 holes in line & finished the slot with a dremel & files. So far no trouble with the front sight getting banged around & a very good sight pictire for "old eyes".

makicjf
06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
thanks!

kelbro
06-07-2012, 10:45 PM
I tried the FO sights but got better results from the Skinner aperture sights.

shooting on a shoestring
06-08-2012, 12:13 AM
I bought my FireSight set from Williams for $99 and put it on my $250 336. Love that rig. Yesterday shooting bench rest 100 yds, Saeco 315 boolit, 5 shot groups, lots of groups under 3", some under 2" with 1.5" being my best/luckiest. I shoot copier paper with a piece of duct tape in the middle for a high contrast target. Funny thing though, the outside diameter of that big old fiber optic coincides with both edges of the copier paper at 100 yds, so I only use the duct tape for elevation.

I expect it would work on critters as good....if I could get some duct tape on them.

pietro
06-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Since I haven't yet (since the late 50's) run across a deer with an aiming point attached, I don't use targets with aiming points after I've zeroed my rifle(s).

I cut 12"x18" ovals out of the sides of large brown cardboard boxes, staple them to a stake, and set them out at random distances as far as I expect to shoot/hunt with a particular rifle/cartridge combo.

Since, in my experience, animals also don't stand around very long to await shooting a group on them, I take one shot at each oval - simulating my hunting conditions: first shot from a cold clean (YMMV) bore.

If my shot hits anywhere near center, I'm a happy camper, sure to make meat.

jh45gun
06-10-2012, 02:38 AM
I have a fiber optic front sight and a Williams peep sight on the rear of my Winchester 94 works for me. One thing about old eyes if you wear glasses get tri focals it is perfect for sight distances.

Junior1942
06-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Since I haven't yet (since the late 50's) run across a deer with an aiming point attached, I don't use targets with aiming points after I've zeroed my rifle(s).

I cut 12"x18" ovals out of the sides of large brown cardboard boxes, staple them to a stake, and set them out at random distances as far as I expect to shoot/hunt with a particular rifle/cartridge combo.

Since, in my experience, animals also don't stand around very long to await shooting a group on them, I take one shot at each oval - simulating my hunting conditions: first shot from a cold clean (YMMV) bore.

If my shot hits anywhere near center, I'm a happy camper, sure to make meat.

.Good idea. I do a similar thing but with a standard, 9" paper/styro plate. My max distance is the point where 3 of 3 bullets still hit the plate. That's off-hand or off the side of a tree, my normal deer shooting rest. With most of my thicket rifles it's 50 to 75 yards.

yovinny
06-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Seems like I'm in the minority, but they came stock on my Omega and I wasent very impressed.
Lasted exactly one season in the woods before the insert fell out and I replaced them with some standard sights.

I know I'm 50 and my eyes arent what they used to be, thats why I mostly use scopes on everything today, but the front bead on these seem HUGE.
I'm not quite sure how you guys manage to shoot tiny groups with a front bead that blots out an 8" bullseye at 100yds, but more power to ya :)

Cheers, YV

pietro
06-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm 50 and my eyes arent what they used to be, thats why I mostly use scopes on everything today, but the front bead on these seem HUGE.
I'm not quite sure how you guys manage to shoot tiny groups with a front bead that blots out an 8" bullseye at 100yds, but more power to ya :)
Cheers, YV

Fiber-optic front sight beads not only are available (from various makers) in different heights for zeroing various rifles, they're available in different colors (red, green, yellow, etc), and different sized beads just like Ivory/Gold bead sights ( 1/16"- fine, 3/32"- coarse, 1/8" large) _ so it's a matter of picking the flavor that both fits a particular hunting/shooting situation, and the shooter's vision.

BTW - FO sights are hunting sights, meant for useon animals in those dim times/places when traditional sights go nighty-night, and not for target work.

I'm 70 y.o. now, but have been using them since they were first introduced, many years ago, on every single iron-sighted rifle & shotgun/sluggun I ever owned ( probably 25-30) since then - and have yet to break an FO bead or have one shoot/come loose.

nanuk
06-10-2012, 05:37 PM
makicjf

I've got one for a 1895, I think it fits the 336.
I borrowed the front insert, so you'd need another, and the Hood might be missing, but easily replaced.

the rear sight is the important thing, and I also use them with standard front sights. You'd be surprised how easy it is to sight with any front sight, when everything is in focus.

Yours if you want it... got any trading fodder? PM me.