PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking of getting a bolt gun

buck1
06-03-2012, 11:35 PM
in .22lr with a good trigger (or one not too hard to make good). I would like a 22/77 Ruger but I find them a bit costly for my budget. Accuracy is my main concern. I am leaning toward the Savage Marks or Marlin XTs.
I would rather stay with wood or laminate wood as I am alergic to plastic (it makes me break out in bad language).
I am looking for advice on what ever you have played with as this is a bit out of my comfort zone.
Say $200-350 ish range is where I am wanting to go. And know very little about how well these .22 bolt guns shoot.
I know I cant get the top dog in this price range, but would like to get as close as I can.
I can shoot fifty cent pice sized groups all day long with my semi autos but am really wanting to maintain 3/4 or less groups. I realize ammo is a big player in this as I have found, but first thing is the platform. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME. Thanks everyone!! :swagemine:

06-04-2012, 12:46 AM
You are allergic to plastic and I'm allergic to Ruger and Savage :) I know the Savages have had a good run recently with building accurate rifles. But I never have warmed up to the clunky looking Savages. And, I hate being allergic to Ruger bolts, high power or 22rf. They are so attractive and ergonomic but I've had bad luck with Ruger rifles and swore off them. As far as the Ruger bolt 22 goes my only experience is indirect- a friend got one, it looked great but it didn't shoot very well.

So, in your price range who knows. 3/4" (at 50 yds ?) is pretty good shooting. In the bolt 22rf sporter group I've always had good luck with the Marlins. Won quite a few informal position matches with a Plain Jane Marlin bolt 22 back in the day. I'd say maybe do a little used gun hunting for an older Marlin 22 with a good bore. I bought a used one (mid 70s model) for a friend about 3 years ago for about $125. Very clean and very accurate (it shoots well within the 3/4" @ 50 yd objective). My all time favorite modern 22rf bolt is the Win 52 Sporter repro (Miroku)- but if you can find one it may be beyond your $ limit. I think technically, the reason the Miroku 52 sporter is soooo accurate is because they used a match/target type chamber reamer and it has the regular, adjustable 52 trigger. I got one back in the mid-90s and the very first group I shot at 50 yds was between 1/4-3/8" with standard, bulk ammo! It likes CCI Blazer.

olafhardt
06-04-2012, 05:38 AM
I have seen some Model 69 A Winchesters in your price range or less on the web.I have two NOT FOR SALE.They came from the factory with an adjustable trigger. They are really good rifles,the magazines are a little bit weird.

jh45gun
06-04-2012, 08:08 AM
If your on a budget look for one of the older Marlin bolt guns I have two Marlin 80's they both are tack drivers and easy to make the triggers in the 2# range. Anything in the 800 or 900 series or the 25 series will work fine. I got a deal from a friend and bought one for 50 bucks (well I said he gave me a deal) The other I bought at a gun show a Sears branded Marlin 80 for 130 dollars. I would say 125 is about average for these on the used market. Great guns.

roysha
06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
CZ 452. Dollar for dollar the best 22 RF bolt gun out there. All steel and wood.

Norbrat
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
+1 on the CZ.

The BRNO (now CZ) has always been a highly regarded .22 here in Oz.

We use them at our club as club guns and consider them to be only a small step below a mid range Anschutz, at half the price.

Model 2 BRNO's in good condition still command prices almost as high as a new CZ.

And while the trigger is not adjustable pre se, it is an easy job to lighten the trigger by simply replacing the trigger spring with one from ball point pen.

Landric
06-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I am very happy with my Savage MkII FV-SR. I replaced the plastic stock with a Boyd's Tacticool stock and even in doing so I ended up with about $350 in it. I think it is a good looking rifle, and is a great value. I'm happy with the accuracy.

5 rounds, Aguila Super Extra Subsonic 40 grain RN, 50 yards, suppressed:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/2012-05-31_09-16-21_639.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/2012-05-31_09-16-32_841.jpg

Jack Stanley
06-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Another one on the used rifle rack might be a Remington 521 and perhaps and older Marlin 780 or 880 . Right now I'm doing a shakedown cruise with a Savage 93 GL and OH.... how I wish CZ made a left hand magnum .

Jack

buck1
06-05-2012, 12:27 AM
You guys are great! Thanks for all the help!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-13-2012, 12:05 PM
buck1,

Yes, the CZ is great bang for the buck.

One thing I have found in my limited experience, is that the better the rifle/barrel the more ammos will shoot well in a given platform.

A friend and I have had some informal "shoot offs," he with his single shot Savage Mark ????? rifle which comes with target style sights.

When we were shooting the pricey target/match ammos, his rifle shot right with my Clark Custom 77/22 with it's .920 Walther barrel.

However, during the next shoot off, we used the typical "off the shelf" ammos and WOW did the better and much more expensive rifle/barrel ever show the advantage.

During the shoots, we both used the same ammo, from the same boxes and off the same bench bags and the first shoot left me wondering at the cost of my CRuger.

To say the question was answered and put to rest at the second shoot is an understatement.

So, all that to say that MANY folk really like the results from the CZ.

Check the Rim Fire Central Forum for lots of good info on the CZs.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

MBTcustom
06-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Get a CZ 452. I bought one because I was looking for the same thing you are after. I got 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with cheap remington "gold bullets" bulk ammo. Simply amazing. They are built like a tank, and come to point like a shotgun. They are made like a miniature Mauser complete with little bitty Mauser sights. (could you die?)
You'll not be disappointed.
I believe that CZ makes the best firearms out of the box, especially considering that famous saying "only accurate rifles are interesting".

jh45gun
06-13-2012, 06:33 PM
They may be good but Marlin and Savage rifles shoot just as good folks post the targets all the time to prove it.

PB234
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Another vote for a CZ 452 or 453 or even a 455. Your budget might find a good used 452, maybe even a 453 with the single set trigger. The trigger is adjustable for weight of pull by changing the spring and for crispness. Look on eBay for Yo Dave kit or look at the CZ section of www.rimfirecentral.com .

My experience is that an old Brno in good shape will be more costly than a new CZ.

The YoDave kit is perhaps $15 and comes with a number of springs so you can get what you want and a number of shims to tighten up the trigger break. You can get a single shot adapter from CZ or Denny (look for him at rimfire central). The one from Denny is metal and old Brno stock.

CZ, built like a tank and remarkable accuracy especially with Wolf ammo.

Silver Eagle
06-13-2012, 11:42 PM
++! On the CZ's!Also a +1 for Rimfire Central. Great site on all things rimfire,

I bought a CZ 455 American and recently took it to an indoor range near my place. At 25 yards (range max) I put 5 Remington Thunderbolts in a cloverleaf of about a dime! With Wolf Match the groups are smaller. I am really looking forward to being able to take it to a longer range.
Mine is fully stock. I did adjust the trigger weight down (Do not have a trigger weight gauge).
They also have the option to purchase a 22 MAG Barrel and mag as well as the 17 HMR Barrel. These are a basicdop in caliber change.
Try looking for a used CZ in your price range. The CZ Scout "youth" or CZ 513 Basic models are reported to be wicked accurate out of the box with a MSRP of about $300 for either.

Silver Eagle

PB234
06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Some here report successful results loading down a 223 to 22 R or 22 Mag. If you cast and reload (good guess if you are here) and like this idea along with also getting a new 223 try this auction http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=290224442.

At $5 a box for Wolf ammo then reloads down to 22LR might be as cheap to shoot. Probably cheaper. Boolits about free. Brass lasts forever. Primer about 3 cents. Powder a few cents. Total cost per box about $3.00 or less and you also get a 223 if you want it that way.

The extra stock is probably better for a scope. Overall appears to be a very nice rifle.

Tom-ADC
06-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Savage, I have three of them and looking for another, get the accutrigger and never look back.
25 rounds back to back at 100 yds 93R17 FV.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/1908390/357570616.jpg

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-14-2012, 06:10 PM
CZ -------------- If it wasnt't for the mag. that hangs below the stock line, I'd likely have one, BUT just don't like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like a company that builds a rifle that good, could cure that "problem."

Don't think anyone here is saying that a rifle of a different make, for example Marlin or Savage, can't shoot very well. Sometimes even with a number of different ammos.

However, as I related above it is VERY likely that the better the rifle/barrel, the less searching you will need to do to find an ammo your rifle really likes.

AS noted above, my friends Savage shot so well during our shoot out with match/target ammo, that it left me wondering at the investment I had in my rifle/scope.

BUT, and this is a very big "but," during the second go around with typical "off the shelf" .22 ammo, it was a whole different story.

Where the Clark Custom 77/22 with it's Walther barrel went ahead and made nice little groups with most of the cheaper ammo shot, the Savage opened up in most cases, only turning in the nice tiny groups with a couple of the cheaper loads.

The point here is, if your barrel/rifle has any quality at all, you will likely find an ammo that will shoot quite well in it. BUT, and this is back to the big "but," you may need to do far more testing with many more .22 loads/brands before you find that perfect combination.

Yep, in the price range your talking, make mine a CZ!

CDOC

Longwood
06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Savage, I have three of them and looking for another, get the accutrigger and never look back.
25 rounds back to back at 100 yds 93R17 FV.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/1908390/357570616.jpg

Did you work on the triggers?
I did mine and got it down to a little more than two pounds.

Mugs
06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Buck 1
Ck. Specialty Pistols Forum clasifieds. Marlin XT with 3-9 Simmons scope $ 180.
Mugs

MBTcustom
06-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Tom-ADC, That is beyond sick! The .17s sure do git 'er did don't they?

Longwood
06-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Lookin good Tom.
Neither of my 17's shoot that good but the Savage is really close and I have only tried two brands of the 17 gr bullets so far.
I got a used Lowwall in 17 a while back and the Winchester round shot a group almost as small a yours but at a lot closer range and a period scope of only 2.5 power.
I am pretty pleased but I bet it will do better.
I sure like those little rounds,,, not so sure why.

Plate plinker
06-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I have a 9317 that shoots great with hornady or fed or cci. No complaints. Rugers shoot well too plus look at all the parts available.

NZSarge
06-16-2012, 02:17 AM
In NZ the Norinco .22 is a low cost option but can be a surprisingly accurate option with some tuning.

This link is to a .22 site down under.
This post is invaluable for comparisons of common .22 options.

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1293136002[smilie=w:

and a compare of marlin v Norinco

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1325034868/0#0

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Hate to rain on peoples party, but be'in an Ol'Coot I'll just go ahead and do it any way.

Think back about three years ago to what the situation was for getting ammo or loading components.

Well if the obamanation get in again, those days will look like a Sunday School gathering when compared to what WILL happen.

Now the .17s may be real fine, haven't gone there and don't intend to - sorry, I have for years been a decated handloader and anything that gets even remotely close to as costly to shoot as a reloadable cartridge doesn't come home with me.

I would like to have a .17 hornet or?????.

But, be that as it may, with the .22 rimfires being owned by the millions, numbers fare exceeding the current total production of any .17 rimfires, guess which ammo is much more likely to be available when push comes to shove.

Yes, there will be more people buying the .22s, but there are more producers of .22 ammo and because of the higher demand, you can bet the manufactures will go where the bigger demand is.

One way or the other, now is the time to lay up a supply of your favorite ammo and loading components and don't forget stashing some food back.

The smart folk did and have done so for years, while the forums were well attended by folk crying because they didn't have the needed supplies and couldn't get them.

BE warned, it could happen again.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

unclebill
07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
CZ 452. Dollar for dollar the best 22 RF bolt gun out there. All steel and wood.

+1 on the CZ.

The BRNO (now CZ) has always been a highly regarded .22 here in Oz.

We use them at our club as club guns and consider them to be only a small step below a mid range Anschutz, at half the price.

Model 2 BRNO's in good condition still command prices almost as high as a new CZ.

And while the trigger is not adjustable pre se, it is an easy job to lighten the trigger by simply replacing the trigger spring with one from ball point pen.

i have the 452 varmint and it does have an adjustable trigger.
and yes it will outshoot my shilen bbl. 10-22 or my beloved savage any time.

unclebill
07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I am very happy with my Savage MkII FV-SR. I replaced the plastic stock with a Boyd's Tacticool stock and even in doing so I ended up with about $350 in it. I think it is a good looking rifle, and is a great value. I'm happy with the accuracy.

5 rounds, Aguila Super Extra Subsonic 40 grain RN, 50 yards, suppressed:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/2012-05-31_09-16-21_639.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/2012-05-31_09-16-32_841.jpg

today
5 rounds
federal bulk ammo
50 yards
windy
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/museumofthewierd.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/museumofthewierd039.jpg

using this rifle
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/museumofthewierd038.jpg

unclebill
07-08-2012, 10:50 PM
cz 452
25 yards
5 shots
wolf match target

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/thdavesdrive071-1.jpg

kenyerian
07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
A group of my friends and I have got together every Sept for a weekend of camping, shooting, squirrel hunting and BSing. Every afternoon we hit the range for some friendly competition for bragging rights. Over the years we've shot about every type of rimfire made.
Single shots, lever actions, automatic's you name it and when savage came out with the Accu trigger they are very hard to beat . Some of the guys put a lot of money in their 10-22's and others just buy a new one every year to try. You are liable to see Kimbers, CZ's Anschultz and some pretty good shooting guns. We really have alot of fun and actually do harvest some squirrels. We even let the kids have a shooting match with their chipmunks and oother starter guns. Sorry if I got sidetracked but depending on how much I wanted to spend I would buy a Savage with an accu trigger on the low end, a CZ for the middle range and an Anschutz or Kimber for the High end. Although 10-22's are fun to tinker with.

felix
07-08-2012, 11:47 PM
One of my brothers and I gave my dad a Christmas present he always wanted but never justified the cost for himself. After all, he barely afforded to raise 9 children sending each to college. The present was a specially ordered Kimber (of Oregon) Super America. He liked wood over plastic/fiberglass, so that is what was included in prolly one of the first BR guns in 22LR. This one was ordered with the normally configured sporter stock because he never really liked a full tilt BR gun except for the way they shot. Using Eley ammo the Kimber at 25 yards will match my BR gun at 100. Sadly, the Kimber sits in the closet most of the time as a heirloom. ... felix

jh45gun
07-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Two of the most accurate 22's I have ever owned I own now, both Marlin 80 Deluxe's . Both did not come with the peep sights but no big deal I have them scoped anyway and gave them trigger jobs. I suppose both the peeps went to gun shows. One is a Sears branded one the other Marlin branded. Both are tack drivers. So is my Henry 22 Mag but since it is a Mag it does not get shot much . I started out with a Marlin Bolt action Single Shot back in 1964 a 22 single shot I got for Christmas. It was a accurate gun even with the iron sights but then I had young eyes then. I wish all the years I wasted shooting so so average shooting ten 22's I would have stuck with Marlin in the first place. All the money I spent over the years on the Ruger products (I had 5 including a target model over the years) I could have bought a nice accurate Model 39.

jh45gun
07-09-2012, 12:02 AM
cz 452
25 yards
5 shots
wolf match target

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/thdavesdrive071-1.jpg

Nice shooting

DocDorle
07-09-2012, 11:24 AM

New ones are getting hard to find since CZ decided to replace it with the 455. I consider the 455 a downgrade because it has a pinned in barrel.

unclebill
07-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Nice shooting

thanks
dont get the impression that i can do that all day long. ;)

LAH
07-09-2012, 12:11 PM
New ones are getting hard to find since CZ decided to replace it with the 455. I consider the 455 a downgrade because it has a pinned in barrel.

Like you I'd rather have a threaded barrel/receiver but I'm not sure if it makes a lot of difference. My 452 is threaded but I think the 455s are just as good from what I've seen, especially for field use. Consider the Anschutz 54 match rifle in its various forms & models, they have pinned barrels & are probably the best production match rifles out there.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Unclebill,

Please know I'm not trying to "down" you in any way here, but at 25yds, baring a wind, or too much coffee that morning :-P and with a scope and a good lot # of ammo, that nice tiny group should be considered normal for your rifle.

Because of the effects of wind etc. 50yds can begin to be a bit more of a challange but with a good rifle/ammo/calm day, groups of well under 1" are not unusual for good rifles at 100yds.

However, a good CZ with good ammo and scope should be able to do that sized group at 50yds. That is not at all uncommon for the folks over in the Rimfire Central forum to show that level of results.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend buying up a bunch of different brands of high end match/target ammo and shooting 50yd groups on a good day just for the fun of it.

Not saying to always use the pricey ammos, at least I sure couldn't afford to do so, but I do have my little stash and saw some of it going down range this past Saturday.

Have a newer friend that I will possibly spend some hunting time with this Fall, and I really wanted to see what he could do with a rifle of known abilities.

Soooooooooo, I shot a 50yd group with Rem/Eley and my Clark Custom 77/22 then turned the rifle over to him. He passed with flying colors.

I realise that shooting off the bench/bags is not a hunting situation, but this did give me some feel for his abilities where before I had none.

Enjoy that rifle, looks like you have a good one!

CDOC

unclebill
07-09-2012, 05:20 PM
crusty
no offense taken.
i was merely trying to illustrate the cz 452's capabilities.
i have been a member over at RFC for 6 or 7 years now.
those guys know ALL about ANYTHING .22lr!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Unclebill,

Yep, there are a lot of very serious rimfire shooters over at RFC, and since your also included in the group, clearly I was just preach'in to the choir. :bigsmyl2:

Glad we are all good on the subject, as I was hoping you knew that your CZ was likely up for better then just 25yd groups.

Now, when I make 25yd groups of that quality with my Slabside Mark II with 2X Leupold - off the bench/bags of course - I think I'm do'in pretty good.

And that Slabside does shoot REALLY well. AS I recall from the testing of a bunch of ammos, including a bunch of highend match/target ammo, one of the Wolf products was the one prefered by that firearm. Nice ragged 10 shot group!

Call it my, "MOGH" - minute of grouse head - shooter.

CDOC

unclebill
07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
out of 25 five shot groups
at 50 yds.
that cz averaged
0.499 MOA

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Your CZ IS Keeper for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't that I don't like clips that extend below the stock line, I probably would have gone there and done that!

Was that average all from the Wolf ammo That produced your show an tell group?

CDOC

unclebill
07-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Your CZ IS Keeper for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't that I don't like clips that extend below the stock line, I probably would have gone there and done that!

Was that average all from the Wolf ammo That produced your show an tell group?

CDOC

yep
wolf match target

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks Unclebill!

CDOC

Kestrel4k
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Another vote here for the CZ 452/455 American, RimfireCentral, and the ~$20 YoDave trigger kit.
The best new rimfire rifle that can be put together for less than $400 IMO (not including scope ;)).

**oneshot**
07-24-2012, 07:40 AM
I bought my first CZ 452 lux version after researching the **** out of them all. I was very impressed from the first opening of the box. They are built like a tank, balanced nice, shoots just about any ammo nicely, and easy to maintain.
I am looking at getting another for my stepson for Christmas.

KCSO
07-24-2012, 09:17 AM
One of the most accurate rifles in the shop is the Polish Z28 training rifle that we got surplus from SOG. Not as pretty as some but a real shooter for the money. And it is all wood and steel.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Well, it may not all be in the barrel quality, but that goes a long ways!

You must have good ones.

Just an ol'coot's opinion, but they'd sell more CZs if they would do something with that ugly clip that hangs below the wood.

At least one of them I know about anyway. :bigsmyl2:

CDOC

jh45gun
07-24-2012, 03:39 PM
A lot of 22's shoot great the older Marlin bolt action guns do, I know I own two of them and the news ones have a good rep as do the Savage guns. The Older Remington were accurate as well as the old Winchesters. Don't sell the Henry Lever actions short my 22 mag will shoot 30 cal size 5 shot groups with ammo it likes and if I do my part at 50 yards.

bob208
07-27-2012, 09:19 AM
i have a brno number 1 and a brno number 4. in their weight class i would out shoot the anschultz the other guys had.

so if i was looking for a new .22 . i would be looking at the cz.

Longwood
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
i have a brno number 1 and a brno number 4. in their weight class i would out shoot the anschultz the other guys had.

It may be your fault!
I was at a match last weekend. There was one Winchester 52 and five Anshutz all with the 54 action.
By far the best shooter there was shooting a 54 with a ugly blue composition stock.
The the super high dollar aluminum stocked jobs were doing poorly to say the best.
A good shooter can out shoot a poor one, no mater how much the poor shooter spent.

I have had a lot of 22's.
My next 22 is an Anshutz that will be with me when I die.

http://www.championshooters.com/1416dbvtbig.htm

LAH
07-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Those are a nice looking rifle Longwood. When it comes in how 'bout a full report.

bob208
07-27-2012, 03:43 PM
i have a old remington 513t i will have to get out and try have not shot it since we got it. i did use one way back on the high school team and thought it was the greatest. allso used it to shoot with the n-g team.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-27-2012, 06:17 PM
If your looking at rifles at the level of the Anshutz, then you should also consider the Kimbers and the Coopers.

You want eye candy, check out Cooper Rifles of Montana.

I check out both before buying my Clark Custom 77/22 and they are both fine rifles.

The Kimber I handled was very fine and beautiful, while the Coopers can be had in MANY!! configurations and prices.

If the Spokane Cooper dealer had not had the CRuger on the rack, i may well have ended up with the Cooper.

Go to Rimfire CEntral forum and you can get many hands on opinions of many different brands and styles.

CDOC

Longwood
07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
If your looking at rifles at the level of the Anshutz, then you should also consider the Kimbers and the Coopers.

CDOC

I had a Kimber back in about 68.
Fine rifle indeed.
I came out of a store in Oregon one night and my truck was missing a back window and a Kimber rifle.
I found out from a friend that a truck with California plates had parked next to my truck.[smilie=b:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Oh OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the pits!

One of the rifles I once owned, a RUGER #1 - 22/250 changed hands in a similer fashion, thankfully after it was no longer mine.

The "new owner" called for serial numbers after it "changed hands."

The one thing I would look at, and do a lot of checking on if I was planning on buying/ordering a QUALITY rimfire, is just how well a lighter barrel would do on a .22 rimfire.

Considering heat is never going to be an issue on a .22 bolt gun, at least from firing, a high quality barrel light or heavy will probably shoot better then most of us ever will in normal day to day use, even off the bench.

The one thing I dislike about my Clark Custom 77/22 is weight. That .920 barrel is very heavy, and is the reason the origional owner, who ordered it from Clark, traded it off in as nearly as I could tell, unfired condition. The RUGER rings were still in the package when I bought it.

It Really REALLY shoots, but being an Ol'Coot with a weak left wing - messed it up and two surgeries later - it is very heavy for off hand shooting.

It is shot mostly off the bench, and a lighter gun would be much more pleasent to carry in the field.

CDOC

Longwood
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
It is shot mostly off the bench, and a lighter gun would be much more pleasent to carry in the field.

CDOC

Have you checked into having the barrel fluted?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-27-2012, 06:51 PM
No, but I like the idea!

That way I could still use the current stock.

I have thought about some changes, not fluting, but it just shoots so well I hate to mess with sucess.

It is the only rifle I have that has not been taken apart. Kind of if it's not broken, don't fix it mind set.

CDOC