PDA

View Full Version : Well help

Blammer
06-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I have a water well, is there any way that is fairly easy to find out how deep it is?

It has a submersible pump and I think the casing is 6" in dia? maybe 8"?

geargnasher
06-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Pull it and count the joints, multiply by 21 :bigsmyl2:

It's tough to do a sounding on a submersible because of the wire, even if the top plate wasn't in the way. You could try to pull the plug on the top and sound inside the pipe, but typically there's a checkvalve in the middle of the string somewhere if the well is more than a couple hundred feet deep.

The best thing to do is try to figure out who drilled it and ask for their records. I don't know if your state requires reporting of all specs when wells are drilled or if the well is recent enough to be on any such record system, but that might be another way to go, although it won't tell you how much pipe the last guy who serviced it put in. Check with all the local water well service companies, too, and see if they have records of servicing the well. If you find the right one, they will likely have notes on the last bill regarding total pipe joint count, and soundings if any.

Gear

canyon-ghost
06-04-2012, 12:35 AM
And ask anyone that has a water well around you! It would help to know ~about~ how deep it is to water around you, if the water table is at all flat where you are. It's possible to have varying depths but, you have to ask around. It depends on the aquifer formation there.

*Aquifer Formation* that's geologist for water table.

If you know the approximate depth, they do make thin, spool type tapes to measure several hundred feet. I think they are 1/4" wide tapes.

Do you happen to have a local Water Conservation board ? Groundwater Conservation office?

waksupi
06-04-2012, 12:47 AM
There should be a well log registered somewhere. The driller will have it, and the state water rights office should also have a copy, telling depth, artesian level, if any, and rate of flow.

canyon-ghost
06-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Thin tape measure and a plumb bob might be available at an oilfield supply store, if you have an idea as to depth. That all depends on if you can let in enough sunlight to use a mirror and see when it hits the water's suface (to know where it starts) and when the tape goes slack (total depth).

I take it you are trying to estimate poly pipe and wire length for replacement. We used to pull them and measure it off with a 100' tape. It's easier laid out on the ground.

waksupi
06-04-2012, 02:00 AM
I don't know if you would be able to get a good tape reading, without pulling the pump. I know my submersible is very close to casing size. My well is 340 feet, artestians to 270', and pump is at around 295'. Flow rate is 40 gpm. I doubt I could make a tape pass the pump at that depth.

gray wolf
06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Can I ask a question ??
Is this a dug well or a drilled well ?
I ask because at our house ( camp ) we only have a dug well. We count the tiles,
And it seems to be about 21 feet deep. OH well I guess you all are talking about a drilled well, they go deep, in the ground and in the pocket $$

oneokie
06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Are you wanting to determine the static water level or the total depth of the well? An actual measurement of the inside diameter of the casing would be helpful in giving advice on how to determine either of those depths.

geargnasher
06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Mine is 6" steel oil field casing and is almost 700 feet into solid limestone, if that helps! The concept of poly pipe pretty much evaporates past two hundred feet, though there are some shallow wells around here with DC solar pumps that are less than that, and if there's no water in the pipe two guys with one step ladder can pull one by hand.

Gear

shooter93
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Did you look under the cap DJ....might seem stupid to suggest that but around here depth, rate of flow, standing water etc and stamped under the cap and many pople don't know it.

Blammer
06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
It's a drilled well about 8" diameter best I can tell.

can't pull the cap easily as there is plastic pvc attached to the one metal pipe coming out of the cap.

I would like to determing the static water level, the head, and total dept of the well if possible. So yea, everything. :)

Superfly
06-05-2012, 01:10 AM
fishing rod and a sinker let it go to the bottom then pull the line up by hand, Then mesure the lenght. use a steel sinker so the only worry is rust if you were to break the fishing line.

darkroommike
06-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Most states (my Father was licensed in MT, ND, SD, CO, NE, IA) require driller logs with copies sent to the state water resources department, contact county extension to find out the proper name for your state, there may also be copies filed with USGS (United States Geological Survey). As a general rule, submersible pumps are used in deeper wells, shallow wells can use lower priced 'jet' pumps (one or two line). Pump may be hung on galvanized steel pipe (bad, if old, depends on your water quality) or black polyethylene pipe with a polyethylene safety rope. Another general rule is that 6" wells are intended for heavier use since there are submersible pumps that will fit 4" (and even 3"!) well casings. It's possible to have a 6" well head (aka "bury" or pitless adapter and 4" well casing).

A reputable driller will drill to the bottom of an aquifer, alas many older wells were dug or spudded into the top of the aquifer and produced nicely only until the aquifers were drawn down by other, heavier users.

Contact a local driller for more info. This is their busy season so don't take up a lot of their time.

PatMarlin
06-06-2012, 09:46 AM
fishing rod and a sinker let it go to the bottom then pull the line up by hand, Then mesure the lenght. use a steel sinker so the only worry is rust if you were to break the fishing line.

You can also buy a little inexpensive foot line counter that clamps on your rod and measures the line as you let it out and reel it in. I've got one here if you want to use it Blama.