PDA

View Full Version : EAA Witness Match

JSH
04-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Well you fellows got me started on this, so I come here to whine,lol. I have looked over hells half acre and all places in beteween for a Match in 45acp. I have located a couple that were "in stock" only to find it is another place that the web site was not updated. I have found a couple of them, only in 38 super and 9mm. Actually held one in my hand. I was beginning to think they were some mythical animal of sorts. I may have had second thoughts on my caliber of choice, but I refuse to pay over MSRP nad don't really like to give full price for anything. The shop wanted $775+tax, list is $609. I exchanged insults with them, you know the game, and his last comment was, try to find one, I actually had no counter for that.
I have contacted several suppliers that list very good prices on these and wanted to place an order or get on a list of sorts. All of them pretty much nicely refused, tell me to check back every couple of weeks.
I also tried to contact EAA to ask some questions. I will say they are as others have pointed out to me very independent, to the point of none caring. I also trind to run down anything on Tangfolio, my Italian is not good enough to make heads nor tails of it. I would send them an email commenting on EAA to see what kind of response I would get, but the web site would not come up very good on this old "puter.
I will keep on looking I suppose, any of you gents happen to run across one (match) new or used in 45acp, keep me in mind.
Jeff

Buckshot
04-21-2007, 06:37 AM
..............Did you look into maybe building one from parts, starting out with one in another caliber? Don't know what a Witness '45 Match' consists of. EAA is a bare shadow of what they once were. At one time the Witnesses were the darlings of the action pistol or IPSC or whatever it was called. Also EAA got into importing a bunch of other stuff.

I don't think they had the resourses or infrastructure to do the lines any good. Now I just don't think they're interested in much of anyhting. WHat did they say when you contacted them?

.............Buckshot

RayinNH
04-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Jeff, you can sign in here http://www.ktpguns.com/index.php
they will notify you when something comes in. They can also provide pictures...Ray

JSH
04-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Buckshot, EAA returned my emails with a phone# to call. I called then ended up on automated service. Got to a recording that the person would return my call at midafternoon my time, I am still at work, btw. So I left in my message, with my questions to just leave tha answers on my answering machine, nothing and that was 2 weeks ago.
I have thought about "building" what I want, but when going that route it seems that the match would get it all done to begin with for less money. I have seen reference that some guys are buying these for way less than what I am finding them for, new and used. No used ones in these parts.
I did inquire on the CZ board with a few questions. I wasn't real happy with the answers, but am glad to get them now rather than later never the less. I am in Ks and it seems handguns have jumped in price since the CC has went into effect. Every Dorthy and Toto has grabbed one.
I will keep after it and see what I can find though. I guess I am going to have to drop the Match thoughts as I wanted to be able to switch calibers,(45acp,9mm,22rf) and does not sound promising on that frame. So I guess the Steel is going to have to work if I even go with this platform.
Jeff

Buckshot
04-21-2007, 11:41 PM
...........JSH, Maybe 20 years ago one of the customer service gals mentioned her brother was a gunsmith, and he shot pistols once a month on a local indoor range. It was a steel plate shoot, and she asked if I'd be interested in trying as it was a lot of fun.

They held it on Wednesday evening's at 1800. Since I was then working 8-5 and it was on my way home, I figured why not? At that time the only auto I had was a 1911 clone made by Auto Ordnance. The only ammo I had loaded was some Lee 228gr RN's, and they were loaded to military velocities. Heck, no one said anything about what kind of ammo you needed :-)

When I got to the facility there were a few people there. I signed in and kind of wandered around. Seemed like it was going to be fun. The closer it got to 1800 the more folks began showing up. There were several dads there with sons and a few daughters in tow, plus some other gals and their boyfriends/husbands. The steel targets were in a room off the main lobby and there was a large picture window so several people could watch. There was also a 'Standings' board up so you could see who was on top.

So I was called and went in. The guy running the timer gave me the low down. Start with the pistol loaded, on safe and held muzzle down on the table in front of you. At the BEEP riase the pistol and take the 6 plates from the right working to the left. Now I have never had much interest in pistols and was by no means an avid pistol shooter by any stretch. At the BEEP I began shooting taking deliberate aim at each round steel plate, then moving to the next.

Lemme tell ya, there was lead flying all over that room as the slugs splattered! Those plates went over with a clang and lay there quivering. When I got done the guy handed me my time slip to turn in. He said, "It's only a suggestion but you might want to consider a lighter load with a lighter slug":bigsmyl2:

Anyway, they posted my time and dang if it wasn't too bad. This steel plate stuff was cool and no big deal. It wasn't too much longer and my standing began a ever rapid sliding down the list till it was off the board, and I thought they might have to dig a hole in the floor to get it down where it belonged. I just happened to be watching when the new #1 speed demon shot. He was about my age (at the time) and where I shot deliberately at each plate with a distinct Blam, blam, blam ........... His was just a Brrrrrrrrr, and he was done. I swear all 6 empties were still in the air and he was getting his time and putting his pistol up before they hit the ground.

A bit later I went outside for a smoke and he was sitting on the edge of a flowerbed. I asked him how long he'd been shooting steel plates like this, and he said a few years. I asked about his pistol so he opened the case and took it out. Racking the slide and dropping the mag he handed it to me. Sure looked fancy. He said it was a Witness in 38 Super and he had about $1,800 in it! We talked a minute and he said the secret wasn't to aim at each target but to merely sweep across them. He said it was a combination of vision and finger response.

He said when you see the plate on the left, as the front sight touches the edge of the plate you squeeze the trigger and never stop moving the pistol. You start out slow and increase your speed, so all it takes is practice and ammo. Well, GEE! :lol:

................Buckshot