PDA

View Full Version : 25 acp

ncbearman
06-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I recently inherited my grandaddy's 1928? .25 acp he carried. It needs a barrel. I think/hope he used it for pleasure and didn't have to self-defend himself that much. Any help would be appreciated. I think I am too young to post at this point in swappin & sellin. Thanks.

Russ

tubb_ooh_lard
06-03-2012, 08:58 PM
well you might have better luck getting help finding what you need by posting a bit more info and maybe a picture .

who made it and what model is is it

gunfan
06-03-2012, 11:12 PM
If it is a Browning, you can buy a replacement barrel from PSA in Aspen CO.

Here's a link:

http://www.precisionsmallarms.com/index.php/store

Scott

ncbearman
06-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Sorry guys. It's a colt and I was looking for a barrel. I will do my best to get a pic up. Thanks.

gunfan
06-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Numrich is out of used barrels at the present; keep them in mind.

Scott

tubb_ooh_lard
06-04-2012, 12:12 AM
i think your going to have to spend some time honing your googlefoo
theres a lot of the 1908 vest pocket colts out there , finding a good barrel may be tough , as a lot of people didnt take real good care of them .

if i may ask ... whats wrong with the origonal barrel

gunfan
06-04-2012, 01:48 AM
If it is a "vest pocket" Colt, the PSA barrel will fit perfectly.

Scott

waksupi
06-04-2012, 01:48 AM
You can post a "Want to Buy", just not in selling yet. Keep in mind, had you posted a for sale item here, outside of the proper forum, that would have been against board rules and you could have been removed permanently from the board. Just a heads up, not just for you, but any other new members.

ncbearman
06-04-2012, 07:54 AM
if i may ask ... whats wrong with the origonal barrel[/QUOTE]

There are virtually no lans and grooves. It has been fired alot. I will keep the barrel for "collector value", but would like a little more accuracy.

I will watch Numrich.

MasS&W
06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Wow. How much did he shoot it? .25 ACP isn't known for eating through barrels.

dpaultx
06-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Accuracy and .25 ACP are contradictory terms. If you can hit a door from 10', you've got an acceptable piece.

Save your money and just shoot it.

All good . . . Doug

gunfan
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Accuracy and .25 ACP are contradictory terms. If you can hit a door from 10', you've got an acceptable piece.

Save your money and just shoot it.

All good . . . Doug

That isn't true! On the contrary, the .25 ACP is a very accurate cartridge. The short sighting planes and skimpy sights make target shooting difficult. While the .25 ACP isn't a target gun, it is more accurate than you think. I have an FIE Titan (Tanfoglio of Italy) that shoots quite accurately. Don't conjure up lies and swear that they're true.

All you know is what you read on the Internet (and of course in the Gunzines).

If you don't have anything positive to contribute, why bother?

Scott

Lonegun1894
06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Gunfan on this one. My mom used to insist on a Lorcin .25, and we all know the quality level there. As sorry as the several of them that she kept buying were in the reliability department, they actually shot well for me when I was trying to fix the reliability issues. Accuracy was good enough on every single one to stay on a coke can out to 15yds easily. But they kept jamming at least twice per magazine. She has a Kimber now that shoots well. Having said that, I personally dont trust the caliber for anything except punching paper and would use it for pest control if I had one or maybe close range small game, but wouldn't even bother carrying it for anything else.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would try to change parts in it as the way it is right now is the way your grandfather used it. That's just me though. I'd get something else for a range toy that doesn't have the sentimental value attached, and just shoot that .25 on occasion instead.

bob208
06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
i know we had a 1910 mauser in .25. that we shot soda cans at 15-20 yd. with out problems.

gunfan
06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
JMB had a great cartridge with the .25. I happen to know that someone that has developed a load for a 51-grain Remington FMJ bullet that will yield 933 fps & 99 fpe from the barrel of a Beretta 950BS.

Brothers, that ain't hay!

Scott

dpaultx
06-04-2012, 01:38 PM
That isn't true! On the contrary, the .25 ACP is a very accurate cartridge. The short sighting planes and skimpy sights make target shooting difficult. While the .25 ACP isn't a target gun, it is more accurate than you think. I have an FIE Titan (Tanfoglio of Italy) that shoots quite accurately. Don't conjure up lies and swear that they're true.

All you know is what you read on the Internet (and of course in the Gunzines).

If you don't have anything positive to contribute, why bother?

Scott

First, the only gun magazine that I read anymore is the American Rifleman and, second, I owned a 1908 Colt 25ACP Vest Pocket pistol long before the internet ever existed. Still have it. That's it below (ser #138xxx which puts its mfg date somewhere in early 1916) pictured along with three boxes of original Browning FN 6.35mm ammo which are probably worth almost as much as the pistol itself.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/88754fcce4fd051a1.jpg

I also own an original 1906 FN “Baby Browning” in 25ACP which is essentially the exact same gun as the Colt "Baby Hammerless". Don't have a pic of the Browning, as it's in the safe at home, but here is a pic of two other pocket pieces from my collection, the similarly sized Colt Junior and it's identical twin the Astra Cub both chambered in 22 Short.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/88754fcce4fd4aad0.jpg

I probably exaggerated a bit with the "not hitting a door at 10 feet" remark, but anyone that considers the 25ACP to be an accurate cartridge, or who would even consider carrying one as a serious tool, is only fooling themselves. The Colt Junior and the Astra Cub in 22 Short actually make a lot more sense, as the negligible ammo cost makes extended practice sessions much more meaningful, but expecting serious accuracy out of any pistol with a 1-1/2" barrel is simply wrong.

I'm sure any of these pieces could probably nail a coke can at 25 yards on occasion, but, even a blind hog stumbles across an acorn every now and then.

And, as far as "contributing", I feel that my remark to the OP, about not wasting his money on a replacement barrel, was probably the most relevant advise of this entire thread.

Don't bother posting pics of your titan. I know what it looks like.

All good . . . Doug

David LaPell
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I had an old Walther Model 8 that was a back up gun for an investigator I know, it was an earlier one and other than having to replace the grips it was a sweetheart and shot very well, accuracy was outstanding considering the very fine sights and it had a nicer trigger than a Colt Vest Pocket I tried. At ten yards it would shoot some very tiny groups even one handed.

gunfan
06-04-2012, 05:56 PM
First, the only gun magazine that I read anymore is the American Rifleman and, second, I owned a 1908 Colt 25ACP Vest Pocket pistol long before the internet ever existed. Still have it. That's it below (ser #138xxx which puts its mfg date somewhere in early 1916) pictured along with three boxes of original Browning FN 6.35mm ammo which are probably worth almost as much as the pistol itself.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/88754fcce4fd051a1.jpg

I also own an original 1906 FN “Baby Browning” in 25ACP which is essentially the exact same gun as the Colt "Baby Hammerless". Don't have a pic of the Browning, as it's in the safe at home, but here is a pic of two other pocket pieces from my collection, the similarly sized Colt Junior and it's identical twin the Astra Cub both chambered in 22 Short.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/88754fcce4fd4aad0.jpg

I probably exaggerated a bit with the "not hitting a door at 10 feet" remark, but anyone that considers the 25ACP to be an accurate cartridge, or who would even consider carrying one as a serious tool, is only fooling themselves. The Colt Junior and the Astra Cub in 22 Short actually make a lot more sense, as the negligible ammo cost makes extended practice sessions much more meaningful, but expecting serious accuracy out of any pistol with a 1-1/2" barrel is simply wrong.

I'm sure any of these pieces could probably nail a coke can at 25 yards on occasion, but, even a blind hog stumbles across an acorn every now and then.

And, as far as "contributing", I feel that my remark to the OP, about not wasting his money on a replacement barrel, was probably the most relevant advise of this entire thread.

Don't bother posting pics of your titan. I know what it looks like.

All good . . . Doug

Those are nice looking specimens. It is too bad you feel them unworthy.

It is likely that I misunderstood. I thought the colt had a 2.5 inch barrel. I must be mistaken.

Perhaps you can sell them and purchase something you find more suitable for a man of your station. I'll offer you $100. for the .25 Colt Junior. Remember: such guns are of little value and bring nothing but problems. I'll gladly remove such a heavy-laden burden from your shoulders.

It is the least that I can do.

Scott

troy_mclure
06-06-2012, 03:24 AM
The only time I have been injured by a bullet was from .25acp chambered lorcin. We were shooting an old tire and a bullet bounced back and mashed my lip against my tooth cutting it on the inside.

x101airborne
06-06-2012, 09:07 AM
My game warden buddy carries a colt pocket "rocket" as he calls it, in his boot. He uses a drill to hollow point FMJ's. He says all he will use it for is to stick in someones gut and pull the trigger. I shot it once at the range. It would hit a 12 by 18 steel diamond at 20 yards every time. I consider them worthy weapons and more useful than a sharp stick.

gunfan
06-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Bill McGillivray gave me the recipe for the 51-grain Remington bullet ahead of a healthy dose of Unique that yields the aforementioned 933 fps and 99 fpe. When you can jump from 760 fps and 64 fpe to the +p range, it makes the cartridge far more effective.

What is needed is a hardcast flat point lead +p load to bring the 110-year old cartridge into the 21st century.

I dare not reveal the amount of Unique used, for fear of liability concerns of the load's use in either cheap or weak guns.

Scott

gunfan
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
The only place that I could find a replacement barrel for you Colt Jr., is Colt Parts in Vancouver, Washington. As of today, they have one for about $109.00. Their telephone number is: (360) 737-2658.

I hope that this helps.

Scott

ncbearman
06-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Wow. How much did he shoot it? .25 ACP isn't known for eating through barrels.

Mostly it's the pitting in the barrel I am worried about. But lans and grooves are also wore down alot. He died when I was 9 so I have no idea how much he used it, but somebody threw some lead out of this thing for sure.

He worked @ US Steel in Gary IN for 30 years and was said to have this in his pocket every day.

gunfan
06-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Here's something from Carolina Cast Bullets:

Originally Posted by Carolina Cast Bullets
I recently added that bullet to my inventory

50 grain RNFL, as cast .251" +/- (havent measured)

$8.00 / 100
$35.00 / 500

plus shipping. Usually small FRB ($5.15)

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

P.S. its not shown on my website yet

If you replace your barrel, these may be of interest to you.

Scott

Olevern
06-14-2012, 09:35 PM
if i may ask ... whats wrong with the origonal barrel

There are virtually no lans and grooves. It has been fired alot. I will keep the barrel for "collector value", but would like a little more accuracy.

I will watch Numrich.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it's not just heavily leaded? Most older .25 acp carried lead bullets.

ncbearman
06-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Yea...........I'm sure. I cleaned it well and there is pitting the whole length of the barrel.

gunfan
06-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Go ahead and replace the barrel and save the original for the sake of posterity. In the meantime purchase another barrel and shoot the darned thing! Enjoy the handgun because you'll never have another quite like it. These artifacts were built for both enjoyment and personal protection.

For goodness' sake shoot it, and enjoy the fond memories of yesteryear.

Scott

FergusonTO35
06-15-2012, 02:00 PM
You ought to keep an eye on Gunbroker and E-bay. Alot of these guns were produced and there are alot of good used parts to be had. Also bear in mind that the Colt 1908 was a very copied pistol and a barrel from one of the numerous clones might work.

kywoodwrkr
06-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I enjoy shooting those little fellows.
I have a lyman HP mould for it as well.
Found about 500 FMJ loaded rounds and another 500 HP(Hornady) rounds last week in some of my mess.
Have another 3k empties.
My favorite is the Bauer, a copy of the Browning as I understand it.
My uncle carried an Italian 25 in his 'inner' trousers during his stint in Europe during the early 40's.
Had a 1911A1 sidearm and carried an M1A1 with him at all times.
He introduced me to the one he carried during the war, and I must have shot a thousand rounds through it.
I still enjoy them now 50 years later!
I hope you have as much pleasure from yours.
Oh, and double check the lands and grooves against another like pistol.
They weren't noted for having real deep grooves. Pitting is another story.

Who's this Guy ?
06-17-2012, 07:48 AM
i know we had a 1910 mauser in .25. that we shot soda cans at 15-20 yd. with out problems.

The Mauser 1910 is scary accurate for a .25 ACP. They will group at distance shooting. I'm sure there are other .25 ACP's just as accurate and then there are some that are just functional.

Combat Diver
06-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I used to have a nickled Baby Browning made by FN. Unique engineering in making it. Was rereading Handloader magazine No. 189 Oct 97 today and there is a reloading article in there by Richard Conrad. He used 1.6 grs of Unique with both 50 gr cast/FMJ for 800-850 fps. (Baby Browning and Beretta 950) And with one pound of Unique thats 4375 reloads!

CD