PDA

View Full Version : What a "deal" : "Rockchucker Jr2 Press"

GLL
06-03-2012, 07:30 PM
This is listed on our favorite auction site as a "Rockchucker Jr2 Press".
You better hurry though because it is a "Buy It Now" only listing for just $225 ! ;) ;)

http://www.fototime.com/69007890173390E/medium800.jpg

Jerry

odfairfaxsub
06-03-2012, 07:34 PM
these people are completely stupid.....unless i am missing something

dpaultx
06-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Not all sellers "over there" are stupid. I picked up a JR2 just like it about a month ago (a little bit cleaner and including the original alum primer catcher plus a handful of shell holders), for $30 + $11 shipping.

I was happy . . . Doug

cheese1566
06-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Is it "vintage"?:roll:

Too bad I refurbed and repainted mine! I could have made 10 times the prfit I bought it for!

06-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Often, ebay and idiocy go hand-in-hand, affecting both the seller and the buyer.

Patience is an ebay-buying virtue.

RACWIN375
06-03-2012, 08:47 PM
and no primer stuff

LUBEDUDE
06-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Guys, your jumping to conclusions!

They forgot the DECIMAL point.

IT's $2.25!

:kidding:

1hole
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
It ain't the SELLER who's stoopid.

Not that there was ever a "Rock Chucker JR-2" press to start with.

Roundnoser
06-04-2012, 11:26 AM
I just saw one of those presses (in better condition) with an RCBS Little Dandy powder measure included on Craigslist for 100 bucks. Still a little too rich for my blood, but much better than $225!

LUBEDUDE
06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
What did you think about that Herters #3 on ebay this past week that went for $90+ just because someone threw a coat of paint on it?!! While others are going for $19, $29....

Chrome sells!

Roundnoser
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
What did you think about that Herters #3 on ebay this past week that went for $90+ just because someone threw a coat of paint on it?!! While others are going for $19, $29....

Chrome sells!

Yeah, I saw that! I think the seller said something about it being original paint that he just touched up. Really???

This could be a great business opportunity. Buy the press for 20 bucks, then sand blast it, and paint it in something a little risky....maybe "chrome" paint. Then, list it as a ONE-OF-A KIND with a $75 start price!

UNIQUEDOT
06-04-2012, 02:14 PM
I personally wouldn't pay $20 for any press that doesn't have compound linkage. Not even those fascinating old Herter's yacht anchors.

hiram
06-04-2012, 02:33 PM
got a rockchucker (not jr), little dandy with 2 rotors, 38-357 lee carbide dies, powder measure stand for lil dandy, loading block = $65

Wayne Smith
06-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Damn, that's in worse shape than mine! One advantage to the lack of compound leverage - I've never owned a stuck case remover!

Mk42gunner
06-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Wayne,

You better start knocking on all the wood you see, I have stuck a bunch of LC 5.56 brass using my Pacific Super C. I learned how to turn the shellholder so I could slip it off the cse and out of the ram at the same time; it is a heck of a lot easier than trying to pull the rim off a case.

I did have a bad can of spray lube, the second can of Hornady's One Shot. Now I am using Imperial Sizing Die wax.

Robert

Pressman
06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Another point on the $90 Herter's, it did not have the correct handle. The original had been replaced by an older one.

I am waiting to see if it turns up on a board somewhere with the new owner bragging about his rare version.

Ken

seagiant
06-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Hi,
Well...I never saw a case that could not be resized with a stout built single leverage press and good dies and lube! I'd put my old Pacifics up against an RCBS Rockchucker any day!

Darto
06-07-2012, 11:57 PM
1. The return of Dallas on television is helping prices of these particular presses to skyrocket.

2. Reports of folks on public benches having their faces and ears eaten off. JR Two is one of the few presses that are completely spell proof for reloding silver Zombie Boolits without scattering them all over the floor.

[smilie=2:

UNIQUEDOT
06-08-2012, 12:06 AM
I'd put my old Pacifics up against an RCBS Rockchucker any day!

Put a bullet swaging die in one of those presses and then try it with a rockchucker and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts you change your opinion.

seagiant
06-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi,
I don't swage,and we are talking reloading! You are probably correct as far as leverage goes, but is really not needed for most 99% of RELOADING!

IMO after nearly 30 years of pulling handles!

Rolling Stone
06-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I have heard all the "BS" about Rockchucker presses ever since I started reloading. I finally got me one. A RC IV. I presently own a Pacific deluxe, Lyman spartan, Hornady LNL, Pacific that looks identical to the Hornady except for the LNL bushings, RCBS turret and 5 Stars. I have started swaging .224 bullets from fired brass.22's. The only difference I can see in all of the presses is that I can change the pull from up to down on the Pacific and Lyman which is very nice when swaging (some operations, not all). I can derim 22 brass in the Lyman sitting down. I have to stand and put all my weight on the RC to do the same operation. The RC doesn't impress me at all. The linkage is identical to my RCBS turret except for the length of the ram and the feel is about the same.
Another question I have is about compound linkage. Who has a press that doesn't have this. I say that they all have one form or another or they wouldn't have the tremendous leverage at the top of the stroke or breakover point.
What do you think?
Rolling Stone

UNIQUEDOT
06-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Another question I have is about compound linkage. Who has a press that doesn't have this.

Well the o press in post #1 doesn't have it and the c presses in post #17 doesn't have it. The press doesn't have to be a RC to have it as all presses made today have it. It's impossible for a press of the old style linkage (called simple linkage) to equal the power of those with compound linkage. The compound is so powerful that it requires much less effort from the user to perform tasks such as swaging or case forming. I have read stories in reloading books about the older presses with compound linkage actually having the tops broken off by users swaging with them as they were used to having to put so much power into the older presses. I think the linkage is purposely weaker today to prevent this from happening (i.e. linkage will fail before frame) on newer presses.

Presses with simple linkage will indeed do the same things those with compound linkage will do, but they require more effort from the user.

Rolling Stone
06-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Now I'm really confused. How do you figure that presses like the jr2 shown in post# 1 have simple linkage? If you look closely the toggle has the same leverage as a RC only it is configured differently. I use one of these almost every day that is on a Lyman. I can speak with authority that the Lyman Spartan with this linkage has more power at the breakover point than my RCIV with the links and all plus it has a shorter handle. Have you personally compared lever pulls on any of these presses? Doesn't RCBS still make the Jr series? How about the CH4D magnum press? The linkage on it is still different than any of these.

More reading
http://web.mit.edu/2.75/resources/FUNdaMENTALs%20Book%20pdf/FUNdaMENTALs%20Topic%204.PDF

UNIQUEDOT
06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Now I'm really confused. How do you figure that presses like the jr2 shown in post# 1 have simple linkage?

Because that's what it has... simple linkage. There are no compounded parts there and it's the same linkage on the pacific presses.

Have you personally compared lever pulls on any of these presses?

Yes i have used three or four ancient presses over the years.

If you look closely the toggle has the same leverage as a RC only it is configured differently.

You are confusing stroke and handle leverage. Compound means more than one or two or more and refers to the linkage arms which are connected to the frame on either side of the ram (or on top in the case of the big redding c press) and are then connected to a yolk that is connected to the ram and the handle also connects to it. This set up gives more power than can be achieved with simple linkage and eases the effort required by the user and also allows presses to be made smaller yet powerful.

Doesn't RCBS still make the Jr series?

Yes i believe they do and it may indeed still have simple linkage.

How about the CH4D magnum press? The linkage on it is still different than any of these.

Isn't this one an H frame? if so compound linkage doesn't lend itself to H frame presses so easily i would assume, but i have no experience with H presses.

1hole
06-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Stated differently, a compound linkage system has the twin swinging arms that move the fulcrum during ram lift, the closer the fulcrum is to the center axis of the ram the greater the force grows as the toggle rotates. A single toggle doesn't quite have the leverage build up a compound system does until the ram is virtually at it's greatest height and there is virtually no travel left.

EDG
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi,
Well...I never saw a case that could not be resized with a stout built single leverage press and good dies and lube! I'd put my old Pacifics up against an RCBS Rockchucker any day!

Put a dial indicator mag bas on the lower part of the frame with the indicator contact on top of the frame.
Just FL sizing a case will deflect your Pacific Cobra frame. more than .010. I have done things forming cases that have split loading dies with the RockChucker.
Your simple linkage presses though are excellent for handgun rounds. They have a much shorter working stroke for the arm.