PDA

View Full Version : The Andy Griffith Show

WILCO
06-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Picked up an Andy Griffith DVD and seemed to enjoy the old show even more now that the times have changed.............How I miss the days of old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVUit1-0Ck

WILCO
06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=3ahbyf9cbEU

OneSkinnyMass
06-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Andy was a family favorite and I really liked the early years more than the last few years it was on.
One of his best moments in movies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2fSw0ua5K0

Skinny

WILCO
06-03-2012, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS9evnStrto&feature=related

41 mag fan
06-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Need them old shows back again...life was simpler with Andy Griffith and leave it to beaver and I love Lucy on. There was morals to the shows, not like some of the **** they show today.

WILCO
06-03-2012, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=rwEvysDpNm0

square butte
06-03-2012, 06:15 PM
I think my favorites have always been the ones that included the Darling family.

WILCO
06-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I think my favorites have always been the ones that included the Darling family.

Mine too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnniyab94WY&feature=related

Gibson
06-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Love it. Still many valuable lessons. Not nearly as naive as some would have us believe.

I focus on the first 5 seasons, mostly.

Andy & Gunsmoke ;)

MBTcustom
06-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Andy was a family favorite and I really liked the early years more than the last few years it was on.
Scuse, me mister days gone by! The Andy Griffeth Show is a family favorite in my house still! I just watched "Opies Hobo friend" yesterday. You can see all 6 seasons on netflix. I love 'em. I do agree that the early shows were the best. When Don left, it was never the same.
Matter of fact, I learned to play banjo because of Doug Dillard playing on that show.

WILCO
06-03-2012, 06:37 PM
The Darlings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darlings

Bob Denver sings with them in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu77tX7uDvc&feature=related

WILCO
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I never knew that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxMXKSxBLw

mooman76
06-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I like the older ones too. The B&W ones. I have the first 2 seasons. That's the way it is with most shows I liked. The older ones were better and they kind of faded after awhile.

MBTcustom
06-03-2012, 11:28 PM
I never knew that:
You betcha! His name is Denver Pyle.
He also played Texas Ranger Frank Hamer in "Bonnie and Clyde" and showed up in a few episodes of "Gunsmoke."
He's one of those actors that's been everywhere, but never got real famous, except for his role in the "Dukes Of Hazard"

sleeper1428
06-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately, Andy appears to have been drinking too much of the Liberal 'cool-aid' and now he's out there touting the wonders of the fiasco known as Obamacare or as it should be known, Socialized Medicine. As much as I enjoyed his TV show, I just can't bring myself to watch it anymore, knowing that he's in the pocket of those who rammed this obscenely expensive and fatally flawed piece of legislation down our throats and would now like to strip us of our rights under the 2nd Amendment and who are doing their best to completely eliminate that Amendment. Sorry to throw a wet blanket on everyone's support of good old Andy but as far as I'm concerned, he's become just another California Liberal.

Please excuse me if this reply is not in keeping with this particular section of the forum but I felt that someone needed to set the record straight on good old Andy.

sleeper1428

square butte
06-04-2012, 08:37 AM
It's good to be able to remember things the way they were. The Andy griffith show is just a tool for that. If we can't remember what it was like, we might not be able to pass it on to those we love - or get back to it. Many peoples minds get a bit mushy when they are old. I'm not making excuses for Andy - But don't think it's worth negating the show for. Just pray that your (our) minds don't turn to mush when we got old.

WILCO
06-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Please excuse me if this reply is not in keeping with this particular section of the forum but I felt that someone needed to set the record straight on good old Andy.

sleeper1428

Thanks for the update Sleeper. I'll still enjoy the memories and knowledge of how it was.

MBTcustom
06-04-2012, 01:01 PM
I was unaware of this. Too bad.

Gibson
06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately, Andy appears to have been drinking too much of the Liberal 'cool-aid' and now he's out there touting the wonders of the fiasco known as Obamacare or as it should be known, Socialized Medicine. As much as I enjoyed his TV show, I just can't bring myself to watch it anymore, knowing that he's in the pocket of those who rammed this obscenely expensive and fatally flawed piece of legislation down our throats and would now like to strip us of our rights under the 2nd Amendment and who are doing their best to completely eliminate that Amendment. Sorry to throw a wet blanket on everyone's support of good old Andy but as far as I'm concerned, he's become just another California Liberal.

sleeper1428

Andy Taylor as well as Barney Fife were characters on a television series. The ideas being espoused are being put forward by characters. Andy Griffith, in his career, has played the role of a murderer, a megalomaniac psychotic, a lawyer, etc. these have zip to do with who the man is in real life and vice versa. I deeply admire the small town values espoused on the show. The real life politics of Andy Griffith have no bearing on the values I see on display by the character Andy Taylor.

His politics are his own. They are rather repulsive to me, but they have been his for a long while now. Has absolutely nothing to do with the character he played or what THAT CHARACTER stood for.

Whether one believes supporting the character in turn supports the actor who in turn supports things I do not, is a different argument. But on it's face look pretty contorted when one could see it's the values of the character that are being supported.

Gibson
06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Should "Casablanca" no longer be a great film in my mind because Bogart was CLEARLY my political anathema? One be relegated to almost nothing, with a few VERY notable exceptions, if they decided what to watch based on the politics of the performer. Hollywood is dominated in writing by the sickeningly "Liberal Jewish Elite". The actors while more varied in ethnicity are quite monolithic in their political persuasion.

Thank God for Dillon and Duke, eh? :) Among some others. . .

sleeper1428
06-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Should "Casablanca" no longer be a great film in my mind because Bogart was CLEARLY my political anathema? One be relegated to almost nothing, with a few VERY notable exceptions, if they decided what to watch based on the politics of the performer. Hollywood is dominated in writing by the sickeningly "Liberal Jewish Elite". The actors while more varied in ethnicity are quite monolithic in their political persuasion.

Thank God for Dillon and Duke, eh? :) Among some others. . .

Sorry, but I'm just not wired that way. Perhaps that's why I don't care much about - or watch - most of the current bunch of actors such as Matt Damon or Alec Baldwin. They see nothing wrong in making vast amounts of money using firearms to kill people right and left but then when asked, they pander to the Left and say that they fully support more gun control. Guess that's why one of my favorite movies is 'Quigley Down Under', not only due to the plot but also to the fact that Top Selleck supports our rights under the 2nd Amendment. I feel the same way about many singers such as Babs Streisand who has a fair to middling voice but is so far Left that I can't stand to listen to her. If I'm not mistaken, it was Laura Ingraham who wrote the book titled "Shut Up and Sing" and that's the way I feel about all these opinionated Left Wing actors and actresses. Most have minimal education and very, very few have any real idea about the things they are so willing to spew out their opinions about at every opportunity.

I'm not suggesting that anyone else should hold these values. This is simply my personal philosophy, specifically, that one ought to be true to oneself, even if one is an actor. If, as an actor, you oppose the ownership and use of firearms, then you ought to refuse to play any parts in which firearms are used in any way. Yea, I know it's idealistic to think this way but I've lived my life this way and I don't expect to change, no matter how good the old TV shows might have been. So you enjoy Andy - I'll take Tom and 'The Duke'.

sleeper1428

Gibson
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Sorry, but I'm just not wired that way. Perhaps that's why I don't care much about - or watch - most of the current bunch of actors such as Matt Damon or Alec Baldwin. They see nothing wrong in making vast amounts of money using firearms to kill people right and left but then when asked, they pander to the Left and say that they fully support more gun control. Guess that's why one of my favorite movies is 'Quigley Down Under', not only due to the plot but also to the fact that Top Selleck supports our rights under the 2nd Amendment. I feel the same way about many singers such as Babs Streisand who has a fair to middling voice but is so far Left that I can't stand to listen to her. If I'm not mistaken, it was Laura Ingraham who wrote the book titled "Shut Up and Sing" and that's the way I feel about all these opinionated Left Wing actors and actresses. Most have minimal education and very, very few have any real idea about the things they are so willing to spew out their opinions about at every opportunity.

I'm not suggesting that anyone else should hold these values. This is simply my personal philosophy, specifically, that one ought to be true to oneself, even if one is an actor. If, as an actor, you oppose the ownership and use of firearms, then you ought to refuse to play any parts in which firearms are used in any way. Yea, I know it's idealistic to think this way but I've lived my life this way and I don't expect to change, no matter how good the old TV shows might have been. So you enjoy Andy - I'll take Tom and 'The Duke'.

sleeper1428

Your last sentence asks for this kind of response. I take offense.

Tom Selleck, eh? Is this the same Tom Selleck that was in "Ike: Countdown to D-Day", PRODUCED BY A&E? The same network that is partially owned by DISNEY-ABC Television and NBC UNIVERSAL? Spewers of tons of pinko filth. . .

Well I'm sorry, but check the cast and credits of the actors' films that you watch and you will begin to realize the delusion you dwell under. It might be eye opening. Duke Wayne is, of course, one of my all-time favorites. Try IMBD if you really want to see who wrote, produced, directed, co-acted in, etc., in a film you previously enjoyed, unless you assert that you only watch films where the writers and directors and lead actors' politics all receive your approval.

I am also sorry but you may enjoy your belief that you can view virtually any film without the influence or sometimes just the work of liberal jews, and I'll dwell in the world of facts. Just because an actor speaks out to display his/her ignorance does not mean that behind the scenes folks are not speaking out with their cash and work for liberal causes/ideology. Trying to say I only watch Wayne and Selleck certainly will not let you escape the horns of the dilemma. Check their films/television shows and it's writing and producing, co-actors, etc. . . . We know The Admiral (John Ford) was a good man but look at others, you find plenty of folks involved in a film you previously liked whose politics disgust you. Trust me.

An actor being true to his beliefs? What are you typing about? There would be no films (only somewhat hyperbolic). Acting is acting. When one portrays a sadistic murderer but happens to be a good and decent fellow in life, then he is being true to himself? If he/she believes in the death penalty then he/she is precluded from portraying a character that does not? So, Pat O'Brien would be precluded from playing a priest? Ever see "The Conqueror"? Wayne's character later became Gengis Khan. Shared beliefs? One the most brutal to draw air. Andy Taylor or Gengis Khan. Yeah, you take Gengis, I'll take Taylor.

Yeah, the character "Andy Taylor". You can believe as you like as to the reality of Hollywood. For goodness sake liberal jewry has dominated Hollywood since its inception. Although early on they hid from their background and their politics.

"Cool Hand Luke", Paul Newman; ergo not watchable?

Addenda: Ralph Stanley. An absolutely tremendous Bluegrass singer. Clearly a democrat, supports democrats. Does that mean I can no longer enjoy his music? Well, I'll you the truth it makes it harder but nevertheless when he sings "Oh Death" it is still moving and powerful to me. Now, I clearly have Bill Monroe as my Bluegrass guy BUT on second thought he is from an area populated by yellow-dog democrats and I am unsure if he was one or if he gave voice to his political thoughts in his lifetime? Should I search to find out or just listen to him for his music?

Gibson
06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
[Edit]

MBTcustom
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Awe heck, of course you can't scrutinize performers that way. It's just unfortunate that someone can make music/TV shows/Art/poetry/inventions that I admire and relate to on such a deep level, and yet have personal beliefs/values/ethics/character that repulses me at almost as deep a level.
I learned a long time ago that you got to eat the meat and spit out the bones. There are only a few people that are so repulsive, or place so much emphasis on their negative attributes, that I just don't care to give them the time of day. The rest of the folks usually have something of value in their lives that is worth thinking about and admiring, and it is good to do so, while at the same time not forgetting about the negative side.
Andy Griffeth warmed our hearts, helped us remember our roots and gave us a model that many of us strive to achieve in our communities. His decent way of dealing with folks and always finding a simple way to make sure that everybody felt like a winner (at his own expence sometimes) is something that was good to see, and reminded us that there is a way of dealing with folks that brings out the best in them and helps them with their own struggle to be a better person. Andy just said "You are a better person and that's fine by me".
That was the dream. That is our dream. Now, after its all said and done, we find out that Andy has an idea of how to get there, and it is totally wrong. That does not change the fact that he showed us what the dream was and allowed us to see it right there on the black and white screen with laughter audibly heard after every humerus gesture. We each have our own opinion on how to make Mayberry a reality in our own lives, but Andy let us see it as a completed work for a few moments and that's what I love about that show irregardless of Andy's personal political agenda.

WILCO
06-05-2012, 06:22 AM
[Edit]

That's one way to build a post count. :kidding:

sharps4590
06-05-2012, 07:09 AM
In line with the original post, a few months ago my wife and I were watching one of the TV shows from back in the late 50's or early 60's. I made a comment to my wife to the effect that, " we have over 200 channels on the satellite and we're watching a nearly 50 year old situation comedy, what does that tell us about modern programming?". While we don't agree with Andy Griffith's politics we do enjoy the TV show. As with others, I'm certain, there are some entertainers that I simply can't take. Streisand and Elton John come to mind. Him I find completely repulsive. But, by and large I can enjoy most entertainment that agrees with my tastes. It is, after all, entertainment, not profound discussion.

WILCO
06-05-2012, 08:08 AM
There was a song by BR549 that tells another story about the area

Good rhythm, lyrics didn't impress me.........

gnoahhh
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
For goodness sake liberal jewry has dominated Hollywood since its inception. Although early on they hid from their background and their politics.

There's an attitude that would have fit right in, in Berlin circa 1938. I'm a bit dismayed that such attitudes exist in the 21st century.

gunfan
06-06-2012, 12:09 PM
While the shows were fun, and the morals clearly far better than those of today, the "fantasyland" of the Andy Griffith Show often stretched, if not ruptured the boundaries of what could really happen. (Folkiness to the extreme)!

While I more than agree with the betterment of the media, it can be taken only so far. Fun is fun, but there are limits to nostalgia.

Scott

Gibson
06-06-2012, 03:33 PM
There's an attitude that would have fit right in, in Berlin circa 1938. I'm a bit dismayed that such attitudes exist in the 21st century.

Well, be dismayed, then. It is simply a fact. Early jewish immigrants found vaudeville an area in which they could earn money and contribute to society in America. It has worked out well for them. They went on to be the backbone of Hollywood. I learned this many years ago in a Religious Studies class from a brilliant Jewish professor who has since gone on. It seems to be the common notion to all but the daft as I have since learned.

As to hiding of ethnicity and politics what immigrant group hasn't done this to escape bias? The answer is, NONE. Changing names and not voicing political opinion has been a staple of almost all ethnicity that are new to a somewhat established culture.

Only an imbecile would believe that American jewish politics is not very much oriented toward liberalism, not just in the classical sense. There is good reason for it. It fits entirely in with how they view themselves; my political bent has a great deal with how I view myself. Jewish folk have suffered greatly for many many years their zeitgeist is dominated by this. My own world view is from a different perspective. American blacks tend to be dominated by liberal political thought. Fact. Nothing more, nothing less.

Being ignorant is fine but backhandedly insulting me is not.

My Lord and Savior was jewish. In no way I am a hater of the jewish people, I simply observe a fact and what I believe is an accepted, by all educated people, explanation for that fact. Facts are what they are. Lots of cultures find a niche and dig their heels in, who cares? It makes perfect sense to me. It is not a knock on ethnicity. It is the observation of a fact in the world.

A heckuva a lot of non-jews are liberals but we were discussing the TV/Film industry.

I suspect citations of articles vis-a-vis demographics would be a waste.

So, you insinuate I am a Nazi? Well, let me remove any doubt about my thoughts, and call you a moron. There now I feel abundantly better. People think because these are forums that they can chime in with a blatant insult and it's fine. It is NOT fine. But it is easy.

It never ceases to amaze me how these places work. . . from discussing Andy Griffith to some imbecile calling me a Nazi. . . I'm gone from this subsection and maybe the forum itself. Too bad because in the main I like this place. But being insulted by some internet persona is both offensive and "dismaying". Such is life, I suppose.

L1A1Rocker
06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I enjoyed that show as a kid. Of course it was in syndication back when I was a kid - I'm not that old yet. LOL Anyhow, watching it as an adult I see the "Sheriff without a gun" schtick for what it really was. This is one of the first shows that began the idea that "real men" don't need handguns.

gnoahhh
06-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, be dismayed, then. It is simply a fact. Early jewish immigrants found vaudeville an area in which they could earn money and contribute to society in America. It has worked out well for them. They went on to be the backbone of Hollywood. I learned this many years ago in a Religious Studies class from a brilliant Jewish professor who has since gone on. It seems to be the common notion to all but the daft as I have since learned.

As to hiding of ethnicity and politics what immigrant group hasn't done this to escape bias? The answer is, NONE. Changing names and not voicing political opinion has been a staple of almost all ethnicity that are new to a somewhat established culture.

Only an imbecile would believe that American jewish politics is not very much oriented toward liberalism, not just in the classical sense. There is good reason for it. It fits entirely in with how they view themselves; my political bent has a great deal with how I view myself. Jewish folk have suffered greatly for many many years their zeitgeist is dominated by this. My own world view is from a different perspective. American blacks tend to be dominated by liberal political thought. Fact. Nothing more, nothing less.

Being ignorant is fine but backhandedly insulting me is not.

My Lord and Savior was jewish. In no way I am a hater of the jewish people, I simply observe a fact and what I believe is an accepted, by all educated people, explanation for that fact. Facts are what they are. Lots of cultures find a niche and dig their heels in, who cares? It makes perfect sense to me. It is not a knock on ethnicity. It is the observation of a fact in the world.

A heckuva a lot of non-jews are liberals but we were discussing the TV/Film industry.

I suspect citations of articles vis-a-vis demographics would be a waste.

So, you insinuate I am a Nazi? Well, let me remove any doubt about my thoughts, and call you a moron. There now I feel abundantly better. People think because these are forums that they can chime in with a blatant insult and it's fine. It is NOT fine. But it is easy.

It never ceases to amaze me how these places work. . . from discussing Andy Griffith to some imbecile calling me a Nazi. . . I'm gone from this subsection and maybe the forum itself. Too bad because in the main I like this place. But being insulted by some internet persona is both offensive and "dismaying". Such is life, I suppose.

Sorry you feel that way, but such a propensity to categorize people is tainted by the way it was used to attack ethnic groups in the aforementioned society. You opened that can of worms when you brought up such slanderous aspersions in your diatribe. Such narrow mindedness does indeed insult the intelligence of any free thinking open minded person who hears it, and indeed causes me dismay.

You stated you opinion, and I stated mine. Would now that it weren't on a public forum. For that, I apologize to the all the rest.

square butte
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Man has thread ever devolved.

Gibson
06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Last thing. I promise.

I do not FEEL in any way. Another form of ideology. We are not here to emote. We are discussing cognition. THOUGHTS not FEELINGS.

Yes, by all means bury one's head ever so deeply into the silica because someone may use a fact to the detriment of another. Has a ring to it, no? Ignore and hide from truths in case some deranged individual might use those TRUTHS to someone's detriment.

I have stated facts. You want to ignore facts because someone may use these facts to attack. Well one observes a fact and then attempts to explain it. In the first paragraph I gave you the accepted explanation. Accepted by educated people. A cohort group that it is becoming entirely apparent that you do not belong in.

Jewish folk dominate Hollywood because when they came here it's germ was a field in which they were able to work, to wit, VAUDEVILLE. They were successful and were the driving force behind Hollywood. FACT, FACT, FACT. None but cretins would deny this.

Slanderous? You are utterly devoid of any ability to reason. I observed facts. MANY facts can be observed of many ethnic groups. It is the way the world is. It is not a judgement to observe that Hollywood in both money and creativity is dominated by jews. You clearly have no idea what is meant by judgement versus a recitation of fact. I explained why American Jewish political thought is dominated by Liberal ideology. It is understandable.

What a waste of electrons. . . To others here mea culpa.

Stephen Cohen
06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I believe the words to describe this show , was wholesome decency. I am lucky enough to have about 30 of the episodes on dvd.

lead-1
06-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Back to our regularly scheduled thread, I love the last 1 1/2 minutes of this video. Start at 8:00 for the best part, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvDb2GFs8M

WILCO
06-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Back to our regularly scheduled thread, I love the last 1 1/2 minutes of this video. Start at 8:00 for the best part, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvDb2GFs8M

That was the best! Thanks for the laugh!