PDA

View Full Version : Red dot for contender

bogorman
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I have a 10 inch contender in 357 max and am considering a red dot or other non magnified optic. Looking for suggestions as I've never owned a red dot before. Not looking to spend a ton of money but don't want a cheap piece of junk either. Thanks for the help

Olevern
06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
'tenders are so accurate that it seems like a shame to not have a more precise aiming device up top. I tend towards the 2X Leupolds, myself, expect for varmint calibers where I prefer 4X Leupold. Tried red dots and found that, at least the ones I tried had a dot that covered such a large area that precise aiming was impossible. Only my experience, your milage may vary.

bogorman
06-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I have a 4x on my 14 inch 30-30, I was thinking a red dot for quicker shooting at ranges up to 200 yards on deer.

Geraldo
06-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I've got mostly 2x or 4x scopes on mine, with a couple of 2-6x. The only red dot I had that liked, and it wasn't on a Contender, had a 1 minute dot. As Olevern said, 4-6 minute dots cover a lot of real estate. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it ;)

fecmech
06-03-2012, 05:37 PM
A 3-4 min dot would work just fine on deer IMO. On a 30-30 I would use an Ultra Dot and they do have the Match dot with a 2 min. dot for a bit more money.

subsonic
06-03-2012, 06:23 PM
If you want something small, try the Bushnell TR25. It's very light and has held up on my MKII .22 so far. It was so cheap I bought another one while they were on sale. Cabelas had them on sale for $69.99, but they usually go for around $80.

A lot of folks like the Ultra-Dots, but a guy on here had one fail on his .460 BFR, and another person mentioned one failing as well. They seem like a good bargain with a good track record except for those two instances.

Nobade
06-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I have an Ultradot on my 32 H&R barrel I use for hunter's pistol matches and a Vortex SPARC on the 14" 7mm TCU I use for bigbore standing. I like both quite a bit, and found I was shooting better scores with the dot sights than I ever did with a scope. Not sure why, maybe it's just easier on my eyes. But I just put the dot on the target, squeeze the trigger, and it hits. I think they're both 2 MOA dots. I do think a 4MOA one would be a bit big. I can shoot about the same size groups off the bench as I did with the scopes, but it is harder and you need a different target to make sure you're pointing it in the same place every time.

Packy
06-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I Have red dots on several of my tc barrels. Including the 357 max. Most of mine are the tasco pdp2 if I remember right. They have the smaller rheostat dial on them, no numbers for brightness. Just turn it up or down to make it brighter. Have one on my s&w 460 and it has held up good for 2 years now. Problem is they don't make them any more. Find them at gun shows once in a while.

jblee10
06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I use a Ultradot 30 on a Redhawk. You can actually shoot groups that are smaller than the dot when using a red dot sight.

fecmech
06-03-2012, 08:59 PM
When shooting groups with a red dot I find using a black circle at least twice as big as the dot at the range testing is done. Then turn the dot down so that you get good round definition of the dot and center it in the black circle, just a big reverse peep sight. Your eye will line things up perfectly.

odette
09-01-2017, 05:39 PM
I have an Ultradot on my 32 H&R barrel I use for hunter's pistol matches and a Vortex SPARC on the 14" 7mm TCU I use for bigbore standing. I like both quite a bit, and found I was shooting better scores with the dot sights than I ever did with a scope. Not sure why, maybe it's just easier on my eyes. But I just put the dot on the target, squeeze the trigger, and it hits. I think they're both 2 MOA dots. I do think a 4MOA one would be a bit big. I can shoot about the same size groups off the bench as I did with the scopes, but it is harder and you need a different target to make sure you're pointing it in the same place every time.

I had an ancient red dot made by or for Sears that had an adjustable red dot. It was powered by a AA battery and was a fantastic device with O magnification. I used it on several different TC 14" bbl's from 223 up to 45-70. Recoil never bothered it and it always kept it's zero once sighted in. I was told by the person that gave it to me that he bought it in the 1950's. It finally gave out on me about 5 years ago. I have not seen any any since. My cousin also used it for a couple years on a 1911 45acp and Ruger Superblackhawk. The device had a hard life but never failed until it died. Do they make any red dotes that equal what was made 60 some years ago?

ShooterAZ
09-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Iv'e got some Burris Fastfire 3's on some of my Contender barrels. They are small, lightweight, and very tough. The dot is easy to acquire and fast to use. They sell all manner of bases to adapt to almost everything. http://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/fastfire-series/fastfire-3

str8wal
09-01-2017, 10:35 PM
UltraDot would be my choice.

bobthenailer
09-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Ive have alot of scopes and red dot sights on handguns and 4 rifles ! and I have extensive experience with them in various forms of hunting and completion shooting, off hand I can shoot a red dot sight or a 1x or 2x pistol scope with a target dot reticul a lot better than a scope with duplex crosshairs with 1x or 2x magnification, with this set up you area aim ! and it give you a sence of holding steady so you can concentrate on trigger control which is IMO the most important skill when shooting .

Higher magnification than 2x cuts down on field of view and your shakes are more pronounced unless shooting from a solid rest!

BHill
09-05-2017, 02:35 PM
If you already have a scope mounted then a dot mounted to the scope itself could be an option. I have the older Delta Points (and like them) but the newer Vortex dots are what I would be looking at today.

arclight
09-06-2017, 02:30 AM
Burris periodically has a deal where you get a Fastfire III along with a 336 (AR15/Scout-style 308) illuminated scope. The package together is like $100 more than just getting the FF3.

Arclight

Sasquatch-1
09-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Check out Sightmark. I have one mounted on a 44 mag Redhawk and two mounted on 22's.

Zeebob
09-06-2017, 07:58 AM
Good to see positive feedback on the red dots. I just bought an Encore pistol and put a bushnell trophy red dot on it. Haven't shot it yet..but will soon. It has a 2moa dot so it should work great for the distances I will be shooting..