PDA

View Full Version : Your Peep Sight Target

Spokerider
06-03-2012, 11:42 AM
For those of you who use peep sights on your shooter, I'm wondering what is your preferred target? I'm thinking one that compliments the aperature of the peep / post.

I have been using a florescent yellow circle, 5" in diameter, with a 1" black dot in the middle, for 25m shots.

What works for your best sight picture?

mdi
06-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Most of the targets I use are home made (actually I did 'em at work, on the xeox machine). I have a few designs but mostly circles. Most used is one 4" circle, black, on an 8 1/2"x11 white copy paper. I use this for my handgun shooting , .44 Magnums, at 50 yards. Also use 2, 2" circles on a piece of copy paper and for my 22s 6, 1" circles on a sheet. Black dots (circles) show up good for "peep" sights. 'Cause of my old eyes, I have receiver sights on my Mod. 92, and One Ragged Hole sights on my Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" bbl. A 6 o'clock hold is my normal site pic.

John Boy
06-03-2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10035.pdf
Target No: 10035

1" red dot on a .5" X .5" grid pattern. Black lines form a cross to Help you find the center... especially using a peep or a vernier sight

I use this target for sighting in scoped and vernier rear sight rifles out to 300yds. Reason: every bullet hole is visible and 1/2" MOA adjustments can be made. The orange circle is also more visible than a black one for placement of the front sight.

Then after sight in, I put up specific distance ASSRA and NRA targets (NRA ones for distances out to 1000yds)

RU shooter
06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I use a simple 6" solid black circle for 100 and 12"for 200 use a 6 o'clock hold .That "dot" is too fuzzy anymore to use center of mass hold

dbarnhart
06-03-2012, 04:16 PM
For my .223 caliber C93, I use the standard 25 meter M4 zeroing target. When placed at 25m, the small silhouette appears to the shooter the same size as a full-sized silhouette would be at 300 meters.

geargnasher
06-03-2012, 04:24 PM
One eyeball on either side of the front bead, center that image in the aperture, squeeze!

Gear

.22-10-45
06-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Hello, Spokerider. I use vernier tang rear & appature front on my .40 singleshots. Also, appature rear & appature front on BSA-Pope 12/15, .22 match rifle. I generally use a 10" black bull at 100yds., and select a front appa. that leaves a nice wide gap of white around bull. Same for .22, wide white gap all around. Alot of folks make the mistake of too small a front appa., thinking it gives better accuracy. Of course, for differen't ranges..appature size is changed to maintain this gap.

quack1
06-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I use black rings that I make up for each size of bead on my peep sighted rifles. The sight picture I want to end up with is the black bead surrounded by a white ring( target paper) then the black circle on the target paper. Easy to keep everything lined up when testing loads and shooting off the bench. I make the first one by trial and error to get the right size then use the copier at work to make a bunch. Sometimes with a large bead front sight at 100 yards I have to just cut circles out of butcher paper to get a white ring around the front bead. Don't have any square post front sights, so can't help you there.

imashooter2
06-03-2012, 06:34 PM
This one from Remington:

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/Targets/target1.ashx

bowenrd
06-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Whatever is in season and tasty

Dan Cash
06-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Same as post #4, black on white. 6 O'Clock or center hold depends upon front sight.

fcvan
06-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Years ago, I read an article where a guy made a rubber stamp for creating targets which he stamped on typing paper. this being somewhat before personal computers and printers was a good approach. His target for sighting in was a 4" black square with a 3" white inner circle. The square was turned so that the corners of the square were top/bottom/left/right. This gave a sight picture where you could align the crosshairs of a scope or iron pistol sights. I used a picture editing program to create a black square with clear circle and rotated accordingly. They print well, copy well, and are cheap. I should print the image of a tin can because thats what I shoot a lot of. Frank

TCFAN
06-03-2012, 08:00 PM
This is one that I have been using for a little while. Seems to work good for my eyes with a peep and a post front sight. Set the point of the triangle on top of the post. Works best for me at 50 to 75 yards........Terry

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/CircleTrianglecopy2AB.jpg

Mk42gunner
06-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Myself, I've been cheap lately. Somehow a whole roll of black target pasters jumped into my seabag before I retired. I use them on typing paper and put as many as I need to be able to see them at the desired range.

The flat line at the bottom is where I hold the sight. I really prefer a flat topped post, and point of aim = point of impact; but a six O'clock hold works for shooting groups.

Robert

Char-Gar
06-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Square or circle makes no difference. Balance the bull on top of the front sight with the slightest sliver of white possible between the top of the front sight and the bull.

Spokerider
06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Interesting targets guys. Thanks for the ideas.

I have one carbine with a peep and bead sight, and another with a peep and post. I hold the bead sight dead-on for POI, and I am going to tery the 6 0'clock hold with the post sight tomorrow.

Spokerider
06-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Terry, I like the idea of the inverted white triangle, with the tip placed in the center of the post top.
Wondering why the triangle tip is not in the center of the circle however, but rather set down deeper than dead center of the black circle.

Does the eye try to put the black circle in the center of the peep? and does this conflict with the eye trying to put the top of the post on the triangle tip?

This is one that I have been using for a little while. Seems to work good for my eyes with a peep and a post front sight. Set the point of the triangle on top of the post. Works best for me at 50 to 75 yards........Terry

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/CircleTrianglecopy2AB.jpg

MBTcustom
06-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Whatever is in season and tasty
Nucks buddy! You beat me to it!

06-03-2012, 11:41 PM
For general shooting, I cut out the bottom of a coffee can and use spray paint (yellow) to form about a 5" circle. When that dries, I spray a 1" black circle in the center. Good for cheap targets. Cardboard usually. For distance, I add a 1200hrs / 0600hrs -- 0900hrs / 0300hrs cross over the whole thing in black magic marker and then mark 6" or 3" hash marks for impact analysis through the range scope. When I hit a copier, I use a 1" grid with the center 1" grid blackened out. Good for scope adjustments.

olafhardt
06-04-2012, 06:41 AM
I have been trying using no bullseye at all, just a dark paper plate on the theory that deer don't have bullseyes either. I have no conclusions bit I enjoy it.

Spokerider
06-05-2012, 03:52 PM
I made / tried the white triangle on black circle yesterday with the Skinner peep and factory TC front blade. The design worked well for 25m, as I could easily see the tip of the triagle. It was not so apparent at 75m, for my old eyes to see such detail at that distance. I found the 3'' yellow dot to be easier to see and thus estimate the elevation of the blade on target.

Even still.........it ain't like seeing through the 1x5 VX11 scope, lol.

Freischütz
06-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I just use a plain black circle and a 6 o'clock hold. In the sight picture I prefer a circle whose diameter is slightly wider than the front sight. So, I will change the circle's diameter depending on the range and front sight width.