PDA

View Full Version : New Winchester 70 FN made quality?

historicfirearms
06-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Ok I've got about a grand to spend on a new rifle and am thinking about one of the new Winchester featherweights because I really like the schnable forend look and claw extractor. I've got plenty of military bolt actions but want something that I can mount a scope on and use for my "killing" rifle for hunting if/when I ever have to be able to kill a deer or other game to feed my family. Anybody have any experience with the new winchesters? How do they compare quality wise with the old models (not pre 64) this will be a hunting rifle not a collector? Any other suggestions for an accurate bolt action? I will not take a free Remington 700, have seen too many broken circlip extractors.

richhodg66
06-03-2012, 11:49 AM
The few I've looked over seemed real good, but I have not shot one. From what I could tell, they're every bit the quality of the modern controlled feed ones Winchester made.

I love model 70s and have several. Even the post '64 push feed ones are good rifles and I prefer them over most others. Here lately, though, I've been awfully impressed by the Savage 110 family of rifles, they really perform well right out of the box in my experience and won't break the bank. I kind of doubt I'll be buying a new bolt action anytime soon, but if I did, that would be the route I'd go.

historicfirearms
06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I will take a look at the Savages. They seem to have a better reputation now.

richhodg66
06-03-2012, 10:53 PM
We bought a .308 for my son, one of the package deals that came scoped and with a sling, that had the Accu Trigger. That thing shot very well first time out and always has since. Not picky either, shoots cast and jacketed well. Only thing that bothers me about it, besides it being a left handed gun, is that it has a blind magazine. They do have versions with hinged floor plates and even make a few very pretty versions. I'm thinking real hard about trading off some stuff I don't shoot much for one of the nice ones in .250 Savage.

Never cared much for Remington 700s, they just seem big and clunky to me, the ergonomics of the bolt handles is awful, never seem to feed smoothly as a model 70 and I don't care for the safety at all. Rugers are a little better, but the Model 70 is my fave. All that being said, if I were to buy a new one, I believe it would be a Savage, even the cheap, 25 year old one I have in .223 is a pretty darn good shooter, although the triggers then could use a lot of improvement.

waksupi
06-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Why not kick in a few hundred more bucks, and let me build you a nice flintlock rifle?

richhodg66
06-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Why not kick in a few hundred more bucks, and let me build you a nice flintlock rifle?

Looking back, I've killed more deer with a Hawken than any other single rifle I own, but not a flinter. I'll have to try it one day.

It does bring up a good point with regards to rifle selection. Don't know where you are in Michigan, but isn't most of the state shotgun or muzzle loader only for deer?

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2012, 07:42 AM
the newly produced win 70s are the best quality guns winchester EVER produced.

Rick Hodges
06-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Looking back, I've killed more deer with a Hawken than any other single rifle I own, but not a flinter. I'll have to try it one day.

It does bring up a good point with regards to rifle selection. Don't know where you are in Michigan, but isn't most of the state shotgun or muzzle loader only for deer?

Only the lower 1/3 of the state is shotgun/muzzleloader/straight walled cartridge pistol only. The upper 2/3 is rifle country.

If they were making the new Model 70 in a left hand action I would be breaking the bank to buy one. Lloyd is right, the best Model 70's ever.

msp2640
06-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Last summer, I bought a Win (FN) model 70 Fwt (Wood/ Blued) in 270 Win. I always wanted a "Jack O'Connor Rifle" and when the local Bass Pro ran a late summer special, along with a bunch of incentives coinciding with a tax free weekend here in Mass, I gave in. They even allowed me to pick the one I wanted out of the three they had on hand, with the best wood (all were boxed). The wood is very nice, almost too nice for the woods, checkering is excellent, bluing is deep and rich and metal to wood fit is great - I couldn't be happier especially for the amount of years I was waiting to buy one. I like the look and size of the black recoil pad better as well (not that it's really needed on the 270). The only drawback I've had, is money is tight and I haven't been able to pop for the Leupold compact 2-7X that I want to mount on it. I have the base and rings ready to go. Needless to say with no sights, no range time so far, but the rifle is a beauty to behold standing in the safe. Good luck with your choice - Bill

W.R.Buchanan
06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Agreeing with LLoyd on this one. They are the best M70's ever made.

My Bro in law bought a 20" barreled .308 with a black plastic Houge stock a few years ago. It is a consistant 1/2 MOA gun, even with his reloads.

Since I taught him how to reload 2 years ago the accuracy is definately not coming from his "precision" ammunition.

I have seen one 3 shot group he shot at 200yds that was a cloverleaf!

The Savages are good guns too.

My Ruger Gunsite Carbine is shooting better than MOA with my recycled bullet reloads, so you should look at them too.

Lots of good choices out there, but as far as the M70's go FN's aquisition of Winchester was probably the best thing that ever happened to the M70 and Winchester .

Randy

ebner glocken
06-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I own pre64, post 64 push feed, and post 64 controlled feed. Savage makes a great gun, this is true but you asked about model 70s. The current FN 70s are some of the best made I can remember. From what I've seen when a name gets bought out the quality goes down while the price goes up. This time that didn't happen. The only thing I would change about the new ones is I would go back to the old design trigger. The heavy bbl 308 that I shot is on par with any mass produced rifle I ever messed with. IMHO wouldn't hesitate to buy with confidence.

Ebner

historicfirearms
06-06-2012, 09:19 PM
I went to my favorite gun store today to look at new rifles. After comparing the savage 110, Ruger hawkeye, Browning X-bolt, and Winchester Featherwieght I walked out of the store with a new Featherweight in 30-06. It was much nicer than all but maybe the X-bolt. The X-bolt had a plastic triggerguard that turned me off, not to mention a higher price. The Featherweight is a beautiful rifle, now hope it shoots as good as it looks. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

mstarling
06-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I have three M70s. One pre64 that has been built into a lovely custom rifle in .338 Win Mag, one stock .300 Win Mag push feed, and one .375 H&H SS Classic ... so have had an interest in the new FN rifles.

The guys at AccurateReloading.com (a site I recommend for real hunting) have been watching and comparing the new production. They indicate the FNs are some of the best made. Very pleasing indeed!

06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Another vote for the FN M70s. A local part time gunsmith here bought 10 new "surplus" M&P type FN M70 actions a few years ago directly from Winchester.... the ones designed for the detachable magazine. REALLY nice actions and the 8 or so rifles he's built on that action have been excellent. I'm not a tactical type, otherwise I would have taken 2 or 3 of those actions off his hands.

Brotherbadger
06-09-2012, 03:33 AM
They are very well made right now. My buddy has one, and i love it(i have a mid 2000s m70, and while it will always have a place in my heart, it's not the same quality)

cdet69
06-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I have three of the Winchester Model 70 made by FN. They are all featherweights and are almost a custom made rifle. The wood is fantastic and the action rivals that of my pre-64 model 70. My pre 64 model 70's are more accurate though.

fatnhappy
06-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Last summer, I bought a Win (FN) model 70 Fwt (Wood/ Blued) in 270 Win. I always wanted a "Jack O'Connor Rifle" and when the local Bass Pro ran a late summer special, along with a bunch of incentives coinciding with a tax free weekend here in Mass, I gave in. They even allowed me to pick the one I wanted out of the three they had on hand, with the best wood (all were boxed). The wood is very nice, almost too nice for the woods, checkering is excellent, bluing is deep and rich and metal to wood fit is great - I couldn't be happier especially for the amount of years I was waiting to buy one. I like the look and size of the black recoil pad better as well (not that it's really needed on the 270). The only drawback I've had, is money is tight and I haven't been able to pop for the Leupold compact 2-7X that I want to mount on it. I have the base and rings ready to go. Needless to say with no sights, no range time so far, but the rifle is a beauty to behold standing in the safe. Good luck with your choice - Bill

FYI if you choose to go with the leupold 2-7X compact on the long action win 70 plan on dealing with reversible mounts and/or extension rings/bases. Great scope choice but it fits short actions so much better.

PatMarlin
06-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Can I get one built with a scope on it Ric?

I was thinking something like a 10.5x40x56.

9.3X62AL
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Can I get one built with a scope on it Ric?

I was thinking something like a 10.5x40x56.

Patrick such a funny man. Roundball twist, I presume? :)

mustanggt
06-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I have the new M70 and it is a superb rifle. The bolt is like butter and fit and finish is excellent too. It's only the sporter model but I really like the FWT too. Don't hesitate.