View Full Version : Show us your survival rifles

Jason30-30
06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
I wanted to see your own survival rifles

In my case I have a Springfield M6 over/under .22/.410

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/JASONf22/e0b77d87.jpg

waksupi
06-02-2012, 11:54 PM
I wish I hadn't lost all my guns in that tragic boating accident. All I have are a couple of old wore out flintlocks.

Gibson
06-03-2012, 12:06 AM
I wish I hadn't lost all my guns in that tragic boating accident. All I have are a couple of old wore out flintlocks.

My sincerest condolences. My wife ran off with all mine. I think. . .

Olevern
06-03-2012, 07:45 AM
My sincerest condolences. My wife ran off with all mine. I think. . .

I will pray that they come up for a cure for Alzheimer's.

btroj
06-03-2012, 08:52 AM
How do I send a blank page?

DHurtig
06-03-2012, 11:19 AM
These are my magical multi-purpose firearms. The NEF survivor model on top is chambered for 357 and his big brother on the bottom is chambered for 45-70 and now wears a 2-7X shotgun scope.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/NEFsurvivor.jpg

What could be more versatile or more fun? http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/smiley-channelde_gewalt040.gif

Dale

runfiverun
06-03-2012, 12:43 PM
wow. i thought i had bad luck when the girls dog chewed up on the stocks on most of my rifles.
when i seen how much new wood was gonna cost, i just threw them all in the garbage.
too bad too, i liked some of them.

Beekeeper
06-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Darn R5R, I must have your dogs brother!
Chewed up nearly everyone of my rifle stocks. Threw what was left in the scrappers recycle bin as he could not buy them.
Evil gun stuff you know.
Was just thankfull he would let me put them in the recycle bin.

beekeeper

Trey45
06-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I like my survival guns belt fed!

http://nerfwaterheroes.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/nerf-vulcan-gun1.jpg

Gibson
06-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I will pray that they come up for a cure for Alzheimer's.

Okay. What were we talking about?

Freightman
06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Guns? what guns? I might be politically IN-correct if I had any!

x101airborne
06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
I dont have my camera here now, but my only survival rifle is just a plain Jane marlin 44 mag. Not even really a survival rifle, but its what I got.

gandydancer
06-03-2012, 01:33 PM
What in the world happen to your guns???? GD

garym1a2
06-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Mines just a plan old M4 type ar15 with an A2 rar stock. Good for small varments and two leg varments. My survival handgun is a Glock 22 with both 9mm and 40 barrels in case ammo is hard to find I have more chanches.

waksupi
06-03-2012, 04:55 PM
What in the world happen to your guns???? GD

I'm still not sure whether to blame it on the hurricane, or the gay whale that assaulted the boat.

Wayne Smith
06-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm still not sure whether to blame it on the hurricane, or the gay whale that assaulted the boat.

So that's what happened to the Asperly!

9.3X62AL
06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
No "survival guns" here--just Gov. Brown-approved airguns and archery tackle. Like, peace out, grommets--totally.

Blacksmith
06-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Someday I would like to get a gun so I could survive but money is tight so I keep casting boolits and put them in a big box. I figure someday they might magicaly turn into a gun.

DCM
06-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Could I trade you one of my caplocks?
They keep teelin me they will never catch on and I'm startin to think they are right..

WILCO
06-03-2012, 08:28 PM
the gay whale that assaulted the boat.

You had a happy whale assault your boat? That's *****. ;)

Here's my survival rifle: http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=113

firefly1957
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM
They are all survival guns! I see some people have had their dogs eat their stocks when send those pooches to obama he knows how to fix that!

<<<<<<Here is one of them now.

Blacksmith
06-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Wilco
They also make that in a .22/ 20 ga. combo that would give a little more thump in the shotgun.

With a box or two of brass hulls you could reload for a long time.

MT Gianni
06-03-2012, 10:16 PM
I had a great pistol but it started to leak and dripped so often I couldn't keep water in it. I miss that thing.

Harter66
06-03-2012, 11:11 PM
It doesn't exist as of now but in a month or 2 there will be a 3 bolt 4 bbl mag fed Mauser. 45 Mongo/410 w/choke,762NATO,9x57,and a single magnum.

waksupi
06-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for my first gun? I'm kinda scared of them, and want one that is safe.

Mooseman
06-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for my first gun? I'm kinda scared of them, and want one that is safe.

I hear Nerf guns are very safe....[smilie=l:

Blacksmith
06-04-2012, 03:25 AM
Muzzle loaders are best first guns because they were the first guns. Start with a match lock and work your way up. I know a guy who is all the way to the Flinch Lock.

runfiverun
06-04-2012, 03:32 AM
I hear Nerf guns are very safe....[smilie=l:

not according to my brother he claims i nearly shot his eye out with one.
i still think he was playing with it in the backyard..

Wal'
06-04-2012, 04:18 AM
It's an interesting thought though "survival rifle/gun" :?: :?: I think I'd have to go with a .22 + a case of ammo until the ****e sought-ed itself out.

Bob Krack
06-04-2012, 04:31 AM
Before the boating accident I had a terrific Savage 24 .223 over 3 inch 20GA ..

Yeah, really miss it.

twotoescharlie
06-04-2012, 07:40 AM
nothing but a urban assault rifle, an old beat up winchester 30-30. but it works OK for me.

TTC

Shooter
06-04-2012, 07:45 AM
nothing but a urban assault rifle, an old beat up winchester 30-30. but it works OK for me.

TTC

That's a "Appalatchian assult rifle".:D

onesonek
06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
While some "names have been changed to protect the innocent",,,err, barrels that is.
Carrying the .410 pistol with another .454 pistol barrel, the rifle furniture, and couple rifle barrels, would be all I need. All fitting into the dbl shotgun case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/onesonek/100_1956.jpg

Otherwise it would be two frames,,the .454 pistol in a bandolier holster, 30-06 rifle on the shoulder, and .410 derringer on the hip.

makicjf
06-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I guess any of the following would suffice ( and were purchased for their wide applicability)
Yugo AK 47
Marlin 336 30/30
Rossi 92 24 octagon bbl 45 colt
Stoeger coach gun 12 ga
Ruger blackhawk 45 colt/45acp 7 1/2 bbl
Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt/45acp 4 5/8 bbl
Ruger single six
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 20 gauge pump
Rock island officers model 1911
Stevens .410 single shot
Russian M.N

dualsport
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I support the "Escape and Evasion" school of thought. My survival fantasy doesn't include one last stand, so arms choices may be a little different than is popular. I'm fond of my old Sheridan .20 pump up pellet gun for harvesting protein. Gotta eat to survive, lots of small critters out there, and it's quiet. Think "Book of Eli", ...'"it's caaa-aat". Then a S&W M60 .357 3" w/adjustable sights for whatever needs it. If I need a battle rifle I'll pick one up from someone who don't need it no more. Otherwise light and fast works for me.

fishnbob
06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
If Bull$#it was music, y'all would be a helluva orchestra!!

Artful
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
do da, do da :happy dance:

seriously you can't go wrong with a 22LR and if a combo gun
having a 20 ga with it is even better.

I tried a 12 ga combo but it was too heavy for all round carry.

strap on a nice centerfire handgun and your set for most situations.:shock:

DCM
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Muzzle loaders are best first guns because they were the first guns. Start with a match lock and work your way up. I know a guy who is all the way to the Flinch Lock.

See now that's what I'm talkin bout no mention of a caplock.
I really think I jumped on that bandwagon too soon! :shock:

gandydancer
06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
You had a happy whale assault your boat? That's *****. ;)

Here's my survival rifle: http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=113
wilco! is that Monica lewdwinsky setting on that cigar??

geargnasher
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Pallet of .22 ammo and something to shoot it in is still the best survival preparation one can have.

Gear

MBTcustom
06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
All I need in a survival gun is something between .17remington and 10gauge shotgun. Like I always say, "the gun in your hand is the right one to use".
Honestly though, rather than a gun, in this modern world we live in, I would probably get more milage out of being able to speak 5 languages, and have about $10,000 in cash. I think if that didn't get me out of a SHTF situation, then no gun would. If all else fails, archery is silent, free, and readily available anywhere in the world and is enough to put meat on the table. Firearms are for civilized hunting in a civilized society and are dependent upon that society to feed them ammunition, with the possible exception of flintlock weapons which are still a real bear if you have no form of support (ie you will starve before you get a usable quantity of black powder made up.)

357maximum
06-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I think in a true SHTF/End of civilization scenario my survival rifle would look more like a bow than a gun. Gunfire would attract attention I would not want in that situation.

Parts needed:
1 string, 2 sticks, and a stone.:Fire:

Artful
06-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Parts needed:

You forgot the talent to hit something with 1 string, 2 sticks and a stone.[smilie=s:

Blacksmith
06-05-2012, 03:36 AM
I think in a true SHTF/End of civilization scenario my survival rifle would look more like a bow than a gun. Gunfire would attract attention I would not want in that situation.

Parts needed:

That is like saying all you need to make a gun is a metal tube and a chunk of wood. In both cases it is a little more complicated than that.

MBTcustom
06-05-2012, 07:10 AM
That is like saying all you need to make a gun is a metal tube and a chunk of wood. In both cases it is a little more complicated than that.
A little but not much. You need little more than a good knife to build a bow in the woods that is capable of killing and feeding yourself. I did this in deer camp at bow season year before last. I made a bow out of a green sapling using only my knife and some string we had lying around. Crude as hell but nobody laughed when I tagged the target 10 yards away, and the arrow went quite deep into it. Of course, I only got about 10 shots before it was trash, but everyone agreed that I could have put meat on the table with that setup.

Geraldo
06-05-2012, 08:10 AM
All I need in a survival gun is something between .17remington and 10gauge shotgun. Like I always say, "the gun in your hand is the right one to use".
Honestly though, rather than a gun, in this modern world we live in, I would probably get more milage out of being able to speak 5 languages, and have about $10,000 in cash. I think if that didn't get me out of a SHTF situation, then no gun would. If all else fails, archery is silent, free, and readily available anywhere in the world and is enough to put meat on the table. Firearms are for civilized hunting in a civilized society and are dependent upon that society to feed them ammunition, with the possible exception of flintlock weapons which are still a real bear if you have no form of support (ie you will starve before you get a usable quantity of black powder made up.)

I think you've got it. A survival rifle/gun is whatever you have with you if you're in a survival situation. I'm not big on end of the world sort of stuff, but in such a situation I'd be using my bow almost exclusively and my flinter sparingly.

Your point on money and languages is a good one. After the Battle of Mogadishu, a Delta sergeant wore civilian clothes and went out into the city to try to figure out where the crew of Super 64 was being held. Using your head is more important than the gear you have.

MT Gianni
06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
A good sling and some practice may help also, as will bolas. If you need to feed your self use traps, fishing poles and set lines where legal.

Harter66
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I stand by being able to use up the other guy stuff before I use up mine.

Old Ironsights
06-05-2012, 03:01 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_6780.jpg

.410 Levergun, .44C&B/.45ACP 1858, .22 C&B

MBTcustom
06-05-2012, 03:40 PM
OK, I'll play.
Mine would have to be a 12 gauge shotgun. It sips the powder and delivers huge payloads with that powder. I can load it to kill birds with #7s or 8s, and I can load it with .735 round ball which at 1200FPS will soundly dispatch anything on the planet with the possible exception of elephant. The round ball load also is giving me pie plate accuracy at 100 yards. The shotgun has a 20" barrel which makes it short, light and handy. It also comes to point quickly. I have been on the search for the ultimate, all around, do-it-all rifle, and I believe I have found it in a 12 gauge pump shotgun (which I hate to admit because its so gut wrenchingly practical and unexciting) I intend to hunt with my shotgun this fall, which may change my mind, but I doubt it.
If my answer has to be directed towards something with a rifled barrel, I intend to rebarrel a Ruger Gunsight Carbine to 358 Winchester someday, and I doubt it will be a disappointment.

5 RING
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
here's my survival gun. I haven't shot it yet, maybe this weekend.

357maximum
06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
A good sling and some practice may help also, as will bolas. If you need to feed your self use traps, fishing poles and set lines where legal.

Now there is a man that has a plan.:guntootsmiley: One dozen 110/120 connibears set in the right spots by someone that know how to "read" critters would be well fed indeed. Now I have to go pull some off the garage wall and put some in my kit.[smilie=s: The chalkline and hooks are already there.....I KNOW limblines/trotlines WILL feed a man real well if there are kitty's in the water.

357maximum
06-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Betcha $100 I can make what I need to build said bow/arrow/head with nothing more than the right rock properly hit with another rock. [smilie=s:

Bullet Caster
06-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Well, I ain't got nothin' but a couple o' pellet rifles, one .22 Crossman I've had since I was about 9 yrs. old (I'm 61 now) and another .177 forgot the brand # and a big jar of bb's and .22 pellets. I've killed nearly every kinda bird or "nearly every thing that's ever walked or crawled at one time or 'nother." But for guns, I ain't got none 'cept them pellet rifles. I lost all mine in a boating accident and they went too deep in the ocean to ever be recovered. Too bad. I sure miss all those guns.

Anyone know where I kin git a .22 cal. pellet mould? Or a .177 bb mold? Do they make penetrator pellets fer the .177 cal.? Curiouser than all heck to find out. BC

5 RING
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I've always seen that advertised for sale as a "Polish target pistol, only shot once":confused:

Excess650
The lady I purchased it from said that her husband got it from a guy that claimed that it had a 100% kill rate. I couldn’t ask the husband directly because he was killed in a firearms related accident. :groner: but i did get it for cheap

MT Gianni
06-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Now there is a man that has a plan.:guntootsmiley: One dozen 110/120 connibears set in the right spots by someone that know how to "read" critters would be well fed indeed. Now I have to go pull some off the garage wall and put some in my kit.[smilie=s: The chalkline and hooks are already there.....I KNOW limblines/trotlines WILL feed a man real well if there are kitty's in the water.

Not just the connibars, get a couple of rat traps from the hardware store as well. Don't over think things when it comes to survival.

Rockchucker
06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Pallet of .22 ammo and something to shoot it in is still the best survival preparation one can have.

Gear

That's right

Longwood
06-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Not just the connibars, get a couple of rat traps from the hardware store as well. Don't over think things when it comes to survival.

I am guessing you are talking about the wood, quail traps, with Rat written on them. [smilie=s:

Longwood
06-06-2012, 03:13 PM

I just ordered a couple different sling shots off of ebay.
Not the wrist rocket type,,, the type that the real sling shooters use.
The ones I ordered are made from aluminum or stainless and have a lot of different options of number of rubbers and strengths.
Some of them are surprisingly cheap.

There is an CNC made wrist rocket type for almost $100 that looks really cool and is quite adjustable but I don't care much for wrist rocket slings. A set of arrows and a rest can be had for another $35 or so.

Longwood
06-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Gear

Yep...

A magnum chamber and a few bricks of 22 WMR on that pallet would be nice but certainly not necessary.

Longwood
06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
I wanted to see your own survival rifles

In my case I have a Springfield M6 over/under .22/.410

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/JASONf22/e0b77d87.jpg

I know a guy that has a M7 (has trigger guard) for sale.
It comes with a fitted, plastic, hard case.
He is asking $600 but I bet he would take a lot less right now.

MT Gianni
06-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Longwood, I am talking about a sling, not a sling shot. The David vs Goliath type, turn about your head and release. They are surprisingly accurate, throw a heavy projectile and when worn as a belt are unnoticed.

runfiverun
06-07-2012, 12:55 AM
i made one from a tennis shoe toe [the rubber tip] and a pair of laces when i was a kid.
a decent sized rock would easily take out a rabbit or pheasant out to about 30 yds.
and hitting a person out to 75 yds was easy.

Old Ironsights
06-07-2012, 07:13 AM
I just ordered a couple different sling shots off of ebay.
Not the wrist rocket type,,, the type that the real sling shooters use.
The ones I ordered are made from aluminum or stainless and have a lot of different options of number of rubbers and strengths.
Some of them are surprisingly cheap.

There is an CNC made wrist rocket type for almost $100 that looks really cool and is quite adjustable but I don't care much for wrist rocket slings. A set of arrows and a rest can be had for another $35 or so.

I have either a slingshot or wrist rocket in each of my vehicles and one in the mud room.

It's easy to cast .36 ball/buckshot even with bad alloy...

Old Ironsights
06-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Longwood, I am talking about a sling, not a sling shot. The David vs Goliath type, turn about your head and release. They are surprisingly accurate, throw a heavy projectile and when worn as a belt are unnoticed.

Got one of them too... It's made of 550 cord and braided into a wrist band... :twisted:

(.690 RB works best...)

MBTcustom
06-07-2012, 10:17 AM
My brother in law was raised in Paraguay, he told me that they had a lot of success with "mud balls" and a sling. He said that you could kill what needed killin with that setup. He said that they rolled mud into 1" balls and let them dry in the sun. It made them hard as rock, and a lot of small game was killed with mud. Personally, I dont see how I could get a critter to hold still so I could kill it when I'm swinging a string about my head. That's like saying "Here I am! Here I am!" I know it works for a lot of folks, but I will stick to the bow, thanks.

Artful
06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
My brother in law was raised in Paraguay, he told me that they had a lot of success with "mud balls" and a sling. He said that you could kill what needed killin with that setup. He said that they rolled mud into 1" balls and let them dry in the sun. It made them hard as rock, and a lot of small game was killed with mud. Personally, I dont see how I could get a critter to hold still so I could kill it when I'm swinging a string about my head. That's like saying "Here I am! Here I am!" I know it works for a lot of folks, but I will stick to the bow, thanks.

technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIT9HcnVqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq8OYUmXTMg

Old Ironsights
06-07-2012, 11:28 AM
I like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELYea2UDfeY&feature=related

How to make a paracord sling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKogbV6eM0&feature=related