PDA

View Full Version : CCI has a Winner

jh45gun
06-02-2012, 11:18 PM
This CCI quiet is great stuff I shot it in one of my Marlin 80's and my Smith&Wesson 22 A Did not even have to adjust my scopes I started at pop can at 5 yards and bounced it out to about 15 yards hitting it all the time with either gun. I had put my Bushnell Trophy Red dot on my Smith after I got the gun back with the new barrel at it did not need any adjusting either. So I think for shooting close out to 50 yards this stuff should be great since the CCI ballistic chart on this if your an inch in a half high at 25 your right on at 50. With the rifle I think it compares to a pellet gun just a puff sound with the can being hit louder then that gun report. The pistol of course is louder but it is not bad but this is definitely a stealth round for the 22 with the 40 grain bullet it gives it more smack than the CB longs and I think these are way more accurate than a cb long. My friend shot them out his old Single Six and he was hitting POI also. Definably a winner.

Gunor
06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Already bought a brick.
+1 for the CCI Quiet

jh45gun
06-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Nice thing is they were accurate in the three guns we tried them in today my Marlin 80 and my S&W 22A and my friends 0lder Single Six. I have heard some say the CB shorts and longs of any brand are not that accurate but these sure were.

9.3X62AL
06-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Cool bizness. Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know such a critter existed.

35remington
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I like to limit my midrange trajectory, assuming the usual 1.5" above barrel sighting, to 3/4 inch or less to avoid overshooting horizontal targets like tree squirrels.

Given this preference, fiddling around with my ballistic programs and assigning the bullet the usual BC of .120 for 40 grain long rifle bullets gives a suggested zero range of 39 yards at 700 fps MV (hey, nobody said it had to be a round figure).

Maximum rise is between 24 and 26 yards of the preferred 0.75 inch, and it drops to .78 inch below the point of aim at 45 yards, being one inch below at around 46 to 47 yards.

Velocity loss is very slow. At fifty yards it's still going 666 fps, more than enough to inflict a fatal wound if it hits something. That's only 34 fps in the first 150 ft.

22 long rifle bullets at these speeds are very ricochet prone, as are the CB rounds. So they're not exactly safe (or legal in most places) for backyard pest control as a pellet gun is.

But they can be useful, so I certainly agree on that point. I've shot 200 round of it to date and it shoots much better than the CB's for me with only a little more noise.

375RUGER
06-07-2012, 11:22 PM
I might have to get some of that put my boy in the turkey blind out in the garden and see if the gopher population shrinks.

jh45gun
06-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Bet it will it is quiet enough I doubt it would disturb them. At least the ones still living LOL.

rollmyown
06-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Are we talking HP's or solids?

jh45gun
06-16-2012, 02:41 AM
They are a solid 40 grain bullet. HP would not work the bullet does not go fast enough at 710 fps to open up a HP.

taminsong
06-20-2012, 09:29 PM
I didn't know it exist, thanks. We'll look for it.

Fishman
06-23-2012, 12:07 AM
How does this compare to Aquilla super colibri?

ilcop22
06-23-2012, 01:48 AM

I had made a video yesterday comparing several of these rounds, but my younger dog got ahold of the SD card and destroyed it. :killingpc

CCI Quiet 22 is just slightly louder than Aquilla Super Colibri, but infinitely more accurate. At 50 yards using my Marlin XT-22 bull bbl, the Quiet 22 easily grouped at just over 1 MOA. The SC grouped at just over 5 or 6 inches. :rolleyes:

Quiet 22 compares somewhat to Remington C-Bee 22, with the latter being GP hollow point. Sound is pretty comparable with those two.

jh45gun
06-23-2012, 10:27 AM

No comparison much better ammo. First of all the Aquilla stuff is 500 fps and uses no gun powder and is only recommended for pistols since the bullet might stick in the barrel. Speaking of the bullet it is only 20 grains while the CCI is 40 grains. At 40 grains and going 210 fps faster, the CCI round has more power to it and is a lot more accurate way more accurate than most CB caps because of the longer heavier bullet.

I have not tried it at longer distances yet but a quiet round that shoots POA with out having to adjust your sights is great advantage I noticed this with my rifle and pistol.

Like I said it is a winner I have a brick waiting for me that I am picking up when I get paid on the third.

jh45gun
06-23-2012, 10:29 AM
I had made a video yesterday comparing several of these rounds, but my younger dog got ahold of the SD card and destroyed it. :killingpc

CCI Quiet 22 is just slightly louder than Aquilla Super Colibri, but infinitely more accurate. At 50 yards using my Marlin XT-22 bull bbl, the Quiet 22 easily grouped at just over 1 MOA. The SC grouped at just over 5 or 6 inches. :rolleyes:

Quiet 22 compares somewhat to Remington C-Bee 22, with the latter being GP hollow point. Sound is pretty comparable with those two.

Just wondering did you have to do much sight adjustment if any at 50 yards? Like I said at shorter distances I did not need to adjust my scope on my rifle or my red dot on my pistol at all.

ilcop22
06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
For the Quiet 22, my 3-9x at full magnification would need to be adjusted, yes. The rounds were dropping maybe 4-6 inches low left from POA. I didn't do a thorough testing of the round, though, as I was merely doing sound comparison.

Fishman
06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I can see a couple bricks in my future. The boy loves the super colibri but it isn't very useful other than close cans.

9.3X62AL
06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I scored 5 boxes of these and 5 boxes of the CCI Small Game Bullet stuff from Graf's a couple days ago. That SGB makes Eley Tenex seem reasonable, and Mini-Mags seem cheap. Sticker Shock! The Quiets were a little less than Mini-Mags, so no whining on that part of the acquisition. They will be fun to try out, and I see a few less raccoons at the kids' place shortly.

jh45gun
07-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Well did some shooting at 50 yards tonite but it was so hot my eyes kept filling up with sweat and made it hard to see the scope clearly. but at 50 the windage was right on and I need to bring it up a few clicks but I quit I was just too darn hot. It shows really promise at 50 yards while my group was still a bit low and needs to be adjusted up it was a good group but I did not have a good rest and I need to sand bag it. A friend made a shooting rest to fit on a heavy tripod stand I have but this damp weather swelled up the wood and it did not fit on the stand anymore I got to relieve some wood to make it fit again. Got to drag out the sand paper.

9.3X62AL
07-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounds miserable, 45Gun. One nice thing about this desert we live in--at 100* with the low humidity, perspiration actually works to keep you cool and you can get stuff done if you're shaded.

cwlongshot
07-06-2012, 12:20 PM
GREAT TO HEAR!!!

I grabbed a couple boxes last trip to the LGS... I had not seen it before. I was hoping it would cycle my pistols...

CW

EMC45
07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I wonder how quiet these are from a supressed rifle?..............

jh45gun
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
These are really quiet in a rifle you hear the bullet hitting a aluminum can louder then the rifle report. In a silenced gun not sure you would hear anything. Just wondering would a silenced rifle retard the velocity any since these are only going 710 fps to begin with. Even in a pistol they are not real loud.

Kestrel4k
07-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Just wondering did you have to do much sight adjustment if any at 50 yards?
Comparing the Quiet-22's (710 fps spec) to CCI Blazers (1235 fps spec) @ 25 yds, the POI for the Q22's were approx. 2" lower from a 26" bbl. And the sound of the firing pin hitting home was louder than the muzzle blast. :mrgreen:

From my Ruger MkII 5.5" bbl, the POI was also 2" lower @ 25 yds.

From my Rossi 62SAC, the POI was 1" high. :confused: Just goes to show you, I guess ...

I grabbed a couple boxes last trip to the LGS... I had not seen it before. I was hoping it would cycle my pistols...
I get complete functionality with my Ruger MkII pistol with 2-3 cartridges in the magazine, but loading more than three seems to put just a little too much upward force on the bolt for it to fully cycle, it seems to me.

jh45gun
07-22-2012, 12:51 AM
This stuff is really accurate at 25 yards I kept putting them in the same 30 cal size hole and at 50 they were clustering nicely. Though a bit bigger but since I sighted the gun in to shoot for 50 I am shooting about 2 inches High at 25 and that is still putting me high at 50. I forgot my clip so had to load them single shot which was a pain. I will be doing some more testing with this until I know exactly where to hold under at 25 and where to hold at 50. I was shooting at a shoot and see target at 25 and I could see every shot plus it was easy to line up the crosshairs on that target which helped with the small group at 50 I was shooting at a orange circle about tennis ball size and no good reference point to aim at.

jh45gun
07-22-2012, 12:52 AM
every one talks about their CZs and they are great rifles but these old Marlin bolt guns are nothing to sneeze at either.

375RUGER
07-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Well, I've been shooting this stuff a little around the house. Dwops wabbits DRT. And it's quiet so doesn't raise any eyebrows around here.
I'm shooting them in a 24" Stevens 87A. They hit poa at 25yds. I haven't shot them on paper but am interested in what they will do.
All in all I'm impressed with the performance and they are just the ticket for my mission.

jh45gun
07-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Yea I think they are a great round and long over due.

ksouthar
07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Fired a handfull of these in a suppressed Ruger Mk II this week. A significant difference from standard velocity ammo. Cycles nearly perfect. Had one failure to eject in 2 mags. This will be a nice replacement for the .22 LONGs that I had been using. About the same noise level except the longs won't cycle semi auto. Each round is a pull the slide event with the longs.

Incidently the longs are 29 gr at the same 710 fps.

Sound level is a tad louder than a pellet gun. Excellent backyard pest control. Never raises an eyebrow.

As noted before be VERY carefull. These will ricochet readily at these low velocities.

Got-R-Did
07-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Suppressors do not affect velocity. Some integrally suppressed bbls (read non-detachable) have series of ports drilled to bleed off gasses to bring supersonic loads down to speeds that the suppressor can work with, however, and that would probably reduce this round's speed.
A screw-on "can" would not make any difference in muzzle velocity, but a slight change in p.o.i. might result.
Got-R-Did.

jh45gun
07-25-2012, 09:22 PM
The thing is you really do not need a can for these. These are pretty much a poor mans salvation of having a quiet 22 round with out needing a can.

mstarling
07-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Any one able to comment as to how the sound level of the CCI quiet fired unsuppressed compares to the CCI SV fired w a good 22 suppressor?

pipehand
07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Picked up one box of fifty @ Chinamart this evening. Love the concept- its what the late Peter Kekkonen(sp?) from the Gunwriters onthe Web championed years back. Wish they used the SGB profile as they seem quite pointy. CCI knows they will sell more of them if they feed well in autos!

I will try them this weekend, but I hope I dont like them. They were twice the price of Remington Subs, and bunch more than Mini Mags. I don't like paying more for less.

I do have a "bunny gun" in 32H&R that I load cat's sneeze loads for. So far no bunnies or squirrels have been taken with it, however. Same 85 grain boolit in a No.4Mk2 and 4 grains of Unique is also very quiet.

I just can't justify spending more than 12 cents a round for 22LR. Not while I can load 45-70s for that.

AKtinman
07-26-2012, 09:15 PM
I picked up a box of these at the local gun emporium today. I didn't know CCI (or anyone else) offered these.

They look like a prime candidate for the Paco Kelly tool. I've had good luck with it and the cup point punch on bulk ammo.

uscra112
07-27-2012, 01:34 AM
I finally found some at a big-box sporting goods store in Twin Falls, ID. 2000 miles from home, on a trek to help a friend with her house. Shot one box thru my Ballard at a public range. Three comments - one guy walked over and asked me if I had a suppressor on the rifle, secondly it didn't leave that nasty fouling ring in the chamber that the Colibri stuff does, and thirdly I got a kick out of being able to watch the bullet all the way to the target thru my 12x scope, every time. It was kinda windy, so accuracy wasn't all that great, but I stopped on my way home and bought all they had - 19 boxes. Got a lot to do on the farm here, so serious testing will have to wait. . . . .

jh45gun
07-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Picked up one box of fifty @ Chinamart this evening. Love the concept- its what the late Peter Kekkonen(sp?) from the Gunwriters onthe Web championed years back. Wish they used the SGB profile as they seem quite pointy. CCI knows they will sell more of them if they feed well in autos!

I will try them this weekend, but I hope I dont like them. They were twice the price of Remington Subs, and bunch more than Mini Mags. I don't like paying more for less.

I do have a "bunny gun" in 32H&R that I load cat's sneeze loads for. So far no bunnies or squirrels have been taken with it, however. Same 85 grain boolit in a No.4Mk2 and 4 grains of Unique is also very quiet.

I just can't justify spending more than 12 cents a round for 22LR. Not while I can load 45-70s for that.

How much were they charging a box I know the prices are all over on these but not CCI's fault it is the stores selling it. It should sell for 2.89 a box or less I paid 26.40 for a brick of it and plan on buying an other brick soon. The first three boxes I bought the local gun shop was charging 3.99 a box needless to say they can keep them at that price other places including online are selling it a lot cheaper than 4 bucks a box. For what this stuff does I can live with it at 2.90 a box.

pipehand
07-27-2012, 06:35 PM
I believe it was $7.68 a box, which wouldn't have been bad if it was sold like the Mini Mags at 100 rounds per box. Its possible W mart thought they were 100 round boxes and priced accordingly.

It sure is good to know that they are not normally stupid priced! I won't be afraid to like them at half the cost. The Paco tool idea has been running through my head for a while....

jh45gun
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
You got ripped off I sure would question the store and tell them they should sell for around 2.89 a box of 50. Maybe some dumb clerk looked up a 100 round box price and charged that for a 50 round box. I am not even sure if they make these in a 100 round pack.

pipehand
07-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh, its worse than that- found the receipt in the truck for $7.97! I remember getting a brick of 22's for that.

uscra112
07-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Don't remember exactly what I paid for the 19 boxes at Sportsmans Warehouse in Twin Falls.

They had them in loose boxes, not a brick, and I do seem to remember thinking as I left the store that $24.00 a brick wasn't bad.

What some retailers won't do when they think the customer is ignorant !

jh45gun
07-28-2012, 12:04 AM
That is good I paid 26.40 a brick and felt it was a fair price considering the price of ammo these days.

pipehand
07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
OK, pricing goofup aside, I tried the 'Quiets" in a 1950's era Marlin model 80. I used this pre micro groove bolt action because it is the longest barreled .22 I own, and it has been very accurate with a variety of ammunition. I have a Lyman receiver sight mounted and an XS post.

First, the rounds were very consistant. Didnt chrono them, but the group showed absolutely no sign of vertical dispersion. Actually tiny little group! Quit while I was ahead.

As far as the Quiet feature, yes it was quiet. At first I didn't think so, but it was impact noise from the 3/4" plywood target backer.

I would definitely use these for squirrel hunting-- if they had a different nose profile or a distinct hollow point. Have too many irons in the fire to be reforming 22LR noses right now.

jh45gun
07-29-2012, 10:14 AM
They are plenty accurate enough for head shots so I think the solid round profile is not an issue. Ya got to love them Marlin 80's both of mine are later micro groove barrels but they sure are accurate.

375RUGER
07-29-2012, 10:38 AM
22 solids cause enough meat damage as it is. I prefer head shots to minimize this but it's not always possible without a walgreens nearby.
Anytime a tree rat's head or vitals meets a 40g 22 slug at 700fps it can't end in his favor.

Kestrel4k
08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
It's nice to hear good feedback on this round - it's an innovative and very good product.
BTW the ~$8 Walmart Quiets pricing situation has been discussed at RFC as well, whether it's a pricing error is unknown but everywhere else sells these for ~$3 per box of 50.

crossdraw
08-12-2012, 06:58 AM

I am curious.... Which of the two rounds did you use on the disobedient dog?

:2gunsfiring_v1:

billsr
09-27-2012, 04:04 PM
I tried the Quiet last night at my indoor range. In my Ruger MKII Government, it would not eject, and if it did, it stovepiped. In my S&W Model 617 it was very good and you can definitely tell the difference in the loudness of the round.

I was going to try them in my suppressed Ruger MKIII, but I know they won't eject in that either.:groner:

Kestrel4k
09-27-2012, 05:04 PM
I tried the Quiet last night at my indoor range. In my Ruger MKII Government, it would not eject, and if it did, it stovepiped. In my S&W Model 617 it was very good and you can definitely tell the difference in the loudness of the round.

I was going to try them in my suppressed Ruger MKIII, but I know they won't eject in that either.:groner:

FWIW, they are completely functional in my Ruger MkII 10", but will only function in my MkII 5.5" if there are only 2-3 rounds in the magazine. More than that and I believe the ammo column exerts just a little too much force on the bolt. To my knowledge nobody has lightened the MkII recoil spring for this ammo yet. :)

billsr
09-28-2012, 09:53 AM
FWIW, they are completely functional in my Ruger MkII 10", but will only function in my MkII 5.5" if there are only 2-3 rounds in the magazine. More than that and I believe the ammo column exerts just a little too much force on the bolt. To my knowledge nobody has lightened the MkII recoil spring for this ammo yet. :)

Is it possible the longer barrel is giving the round a little more pressure buildup so it will function the bolt? Hmmm, perhaps I can weld a few more inches onto the barrel to achieve functionality with the "quiet" rounds.:Bright idea::rolleyes:

9.3X62AL
09-28-2012, 01:16 PM
I finally got a chance to test-drive the Quiets a few days ago. In the balky Winchester 290, 17 of 20 rounds fully functioned its semi-auto action. This was surprising; the little rifle is extremely fussy about its ammo tastes. Nicely enough, this same balky little beeotch also ran well with CCI Blazers and the CCI SGB.

The other Balk-O-Matic in the gun safe--our SIG Mosquito--wouldn't run at all with the Quiets. It fired them well enough, but using both recoil springs showed that neither spring would allow full function with the light-loaded ammo. Report and targeting was very consistent, though. The Blazer and SGB ran perfectly in the Skeeter.

Some attribute of CCI rimfire ammo makes these fussy critters do the right things.

Four-Sixty
10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Watch out what is behind your target. The CCI Quiet will go all the way through a squirrel!

Uncle Grinch
10-12-2012, 05:50 PM

I love it... it's the new age version of "the dog ate my homework!"

Please no offense meant, I just thought it was funny.

Uncle Grinch
10-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I'd love to try some of these CCI Quiet ammo and might pick up a box if I see them. Problem is I just bought 10K rounds of 22LR from the CMP. (It's that Remington stuff, but the price was right)

9.3X62AL
10-12-2012, 08:56 PM
It has finally cooled off enough out here in BFE to spend the day at the range, and there will be some accuracy tests getting run on the Quiets and the SGBs from my rat-strafing guns in a few days. In spite of having 35 centerfire calibers to ride herd on, a day of 22s is still a real blast.

olafhardt
10-12-2012, 11:21 PM
I usually don't read every word of a long thread but I did this one. I have a Savage model 24 22 over 20 gauge which is a super squirrel gun. The Quiets hit dead center of one ounce of Remington express 5's. I love smotheted squirrels over rice.

PS Paul
10-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Do they taste better when you smother them instead of shootin' 'em??:kidding:

Kestrel4k
10-13-2012, 08:43 PM
BTW here were the 25 yard groups from my Ruger MkII 10" semi-auto (from a rather unsteady bench):

(Windage was adjusted between the first and second Blazer groups, with the Quiets shot after that.)

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Kestrel4000/RimfireCentral/Ruger%20MkII/RugerMkII10CCI.jpg

9.3X62AL
10-14-2012, 01:33 AM
That is the sort of targeting comparisons I want to try with the Quiets, the Blazers, and the Mini-Mags. If they hit an inch low from the full-speed ammo at 25 yards, that will be GREAT--no sight adjustments needed, just an inch of Tennessee elevation and let drive.