PDA

View Full Version : I'm shocked!!

Powellcole5490
06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I didn't think this was possible! I've spent the day ingotizing some of my cache. I use, now used, a corn bread cast iron pan for my ingot mold. I don't know how, but I broke the handle off!!!! Not only the handle but part of the "mold" broke too. It's ruined. I guess I'm going to try and hit up Goodwill and see if I can find a replacement. Hopefully I can find something besides muffin tins. I hate them.....

Frozone
06-02-2012, 09:04 PM
try ebay if all else fails. You can get the cast iron 6 muffin pans there. I got a couple for $4 each.

Longwood
06-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Cast iron is quite brittle.
Don't drop it.
Don't try to bend it.
Don't try to pick up a piece with the handle if it has a lot of very heavy stuff in it.

koehn,jim
06-02-2012, 10:52 PM
You can always have it brazed, if done right its strong. That is how you fix a crack in an engine block.

Danderdude
06-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Or you can weld cast iron with nickel rods. I've heard reports of people using nickel coins with limited success as well, if argon shielded.

shadowcaster
06-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Cast iron is quite brittle.
Don't drop it.
Don't try to bend it.
Don't try to pick up a piece with the handle if it has a lot of very heavy stuff in it.

What Longwood says here I agree with. Cast iron is brittle. It's also subject to being warped or broken with too rapid of a temperature change. I use exclusively cast iron.. wedge pans, muffin pans, and bread stick pans, but I preheat them several at a time and rotate them back to the hot plates between pours. Once they are solid enough to move after pouring I turn them upside down on a piece of 2x12, in a minute or 2 they fall out on their own. No tapping or banging on them.

Shad

waksupi
06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
If you ever break something of steel, or cast iron, that absolutely must be repaired, as replacement is impossible, contact Lange's Machine Shop, Hector, Minnesota. Tell them Ric Carter sent you.

They are the "go to" guys to repair steam engines from the early 20th century. They are GOOD!

rbuck351
06-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Cast is easy to braze but if you can't do it yourself, it will cost more than a new cornbread mold